Day 20 with Icon and It's feeling... Limited

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Are there any pieces of software that are "complete" when they are released?

That brings up a bigger issue. So, for example, one company releases their Windows Phone app, after having a iOS/Android device for a long time. They do not provide all the features that "the others" have in the new version on Windows Phone. This happens a LOT.

I almost forced my wife to get a 928, after about 5 days she was ready to return it, I forced here to hold on to it for 10 days (14 day return)and to live with it a little longer. Why ? Windows Phone was nice and smooth but, the biggest issue for her was the Apps. Sure they had a good chunk of the apps she had on iOS but, 95% of them were stripped down and lacking features the iOS verson had. She went through apps one by one and showed me the lacking features on WP vs. iOS. BIG difference, the devs dont put all their effort into a WP version, as it's just about getting one out.

There is also the fact that every time you turn on the TV or radio, you see a commercial for a company saying "see our Mobile apps" and I have NEVER saw one say Windows Phone. Even Bank of America (I use and have their app), they will show iOS and Android on their commercials but, no sign of Windows Phone. Then there is a Sports radio station(Red Sox radio, WEEI), I listen to them all the time, They say they have apps for iOS, Android and Windows Mobile (yep, that is what they say) but, they do, (finally after 3 years of me pestering them) have a Windows Phone app.

I love Windows Phone, no question, and I am committed to it but, My BIGGEST problem with it is the lack of Apps, No Dish network, No DirecTV, no local tv stations, no local radio stations, the local stuff that you would want.

That is STILL the biggest problem with Windows Phone, and the ONLY way to fix it is to sell more WP devices, market share grows, apps will come....

Features will come in time, it's great that Microsoft is actually listening to what people want but, they should of learned from other OS's to find out what people actually used and others they don't and build off that but, feature by feature it's a waiting game....

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
That is STILL the biggest problem with Windows Phone, and the ONLY way to fix it is to sell more WP devices, market share grows, apps will come....

Features will come in time, it's great that Microsoft is actually listening to what people want but, they should of learned from other OS's to find out what people actually used and others they don't and build off that but, feature by feature it's a waiting game....

Everyone go look at this thread and the list of places to review your device. I haven't seen many dissatisfied posters in this subsection who weren't trolls. So go get the word out about how much you enjoy your phone outside of this forum. That's the only thing we can do, besides buy windows phones, that will have even the slightest effect on WP8's marketshare.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/no...-make-your-nokia-lumia-icon-review-known.html

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Everyone go look at this thread and the list of places to review your device. I haven't seen many dissatisfied posters in this subsection who weren't trolls. So go get the word out about how much you enjoy your phone outside of this forum. That's the only thing we can do, besides buy windows phones, that will have even the slightest effect on WP8's marketshare.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/no...-make-your-nokia-lumia-icon-review-known.html

I dont have a ICON, not sure if I am going to even get one yet (MIGHT). I love Windows Phone, no question and I am not a troll but, I had to reply to that subject. The biggest problem IS the apps, still...

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I dont have a ICON, not sure if I am going to even get one yet (MIGHT). I love Windows Phone, no question and I am not a troll but, I had to reply to that subject. The biggest problem IS the apps, still...

No, yeah I agree with you. I was inferring that most of the people that post crappy things about the Icon on these boards are actually trolls.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site

Idk, I don't have an issue with apps on WP... Yeah there are a few missing, but at the end of the day, more often then not, the mobile site is just as good as the app that could/would be released. My wife and I had a stint on iOS because of apps, but wound up going back to WP, cause even with all the apps, iOS was just meh.

Although I am a little upset with MS and WP... One of the reasons we went back was for the XBox live gaming on WP, which there seems to be less and less of as time goes on... Just wish the game devs would get on track and not just port games, but add XBL achievements too.

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
Idk, I don't have an issue with apps on WP... Yeah there are a few missing, but at the end of the day, more often then not, the mobile site is just as good as the app that could/would be released. My wife and I had a stint on iOS because of apps, but wound up going back to WP, cause even with all the apps, iOS was just meh.

Although I am a little upset with MS and WP... One of the reasons we went back was for the XBox live gaming on WP, which there seems to be less and less of as time goes on... Just wish the game devs would get on track and not just port games, but add XBL achievements too.

One of my original points is how mobile sites aren't totally a work around with WP 8 because the browsers are so poor. I am not just talking about IE either, which is the browser I use every day on my surface pro, but UC browser also. There are many times when the browser will tell me that the page is down, yet I can access it on my SP or on another phone browser. This includes WPCentral.

Hopefully the IE11 browser is one of the items that Microsoft will fix in WP 8.1. It would be nice if you could set third-party apps to be the default apps too. Right now, UC browser or not, any link opens in IE.

IE on WP just feels so... Limited.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
@savage,

Honest questions here. It sounds like you do a lot of work from home. I'm curious as to why you use your phone so much when you should be using a computer? If you're out that much and need to do that much work, you should probably be using the Internet Sharing on your phone, so that you can use a tablet. Honestly, I think of my phone as a.... phone. If I'm out and I need to make a note on a document or a quote, I have OneNote and Office365 for simple, quick updates or notations. If I need to get some serious work done, I have my Surface for that.

As far as the proximity sensor on your phone, yeah it sounds like it is bad. Or, you have the call volume cranked up so loud, you tilting the ear speaker away from your face and allowing the screen to come back on. Even then, that's stretching it. If your ear is touching the End button, disconnecting your call, the sensor is bad. Your ear should not get close enough to the screen to disconnect the call.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

Sure, for the most part, I agree with you on this subject. But, when it comes to people buying a Windows Phone device, coming from iOS or Android will notice this problem. Sure, you can go to the website to do MOST things but, People coming from other phones, don't want to view the websites, they want the company custom made apps. So, Windows Phone's name still goes around with people who DONT follow forums like this, Windows Phone still has no apps.

For example, I have a Dish Network Hopper with Sling, The website(Dish Anywhere) is great (on a PC), I can set shows to record, watch live tv, all my DVR shows, etc, even on demand I can watch on a PC with a web browser (activeX control to run it). Sure on the website with Windows Phone, I can schedule shows and view the guide but, watching or listing to any content, I cant. No mobile app (yea the sling app in the store does not work with the hopper). If I had iOS OR Andoid, I could be doing everything the website offers, as they have apps. DirecTV people have the same problem.

Apps for companies is to make the experience better for the user, sure, a lot of things can be done on the websites but, it's just not the same, and not always user friendly to do it that way.

Games ? I'm a huge gamer, and I tend to buy a lot of games on my phone if they have Xbox live on them (#SaveXboxWP) but, the problem is STILL there, iOS and Android get games and MAYBE in a few Months Windows Phone will get them. There are PLENTY of games that we all wish we could have but, everyone else has them (even a few Blackberry has) but, we don't. Think Candy Crush, the new Cut the Rope, and I can go on and on with this...

For every 1 App Windows Phone gets, there is about 15-20 more that it needs.

It's sad and one of those catch 22 things, We need the apps to sell more phones but, we cant get the apps due to not selling a ton of phones...

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Sure, for the most part, I agree with you on this subject. But, when it comes to people buying a Windows Phone device, coming from iOS or Android will notice this problem. Sure, you can go to the website to do MOST things but, People coming from other phones, don't want to view the websites, they want the company custom made apps. So, Windows Phone's name still goes around with people who DONT follow forums like this, Windows Phone still has no apps.

For example, I have a Dish Network Hopper with Sling, The website(Dish Anywhere) is great (on a PC), I can set shows to record, watch live tv, all my DVR shows, etc, even on demand I can watch on a PC with a web browser (activeX control to run it). Sure on the website with Windows Phone, I can schedule shows and view the guide but, watching or listing to any content, I cant. No mobile app (yea the sling app in the store does not work with the hopper). If I had iOS OR Andoid, I could be doing everything the website offers, as they have apps. DirecTV people have the same problem.

Apps for companies is to make the experience better for the user, sure, a lot of things can be done on the websites but, it's just not the same, and not always user friendly to do it that way.

Games ? I'm a huge gamer, and I tend to buy a lot of games on my phone if they have Xbox live on them (#SaveXboxWP) but, the problem is STILL there, iOS and Android get games and MAYBE in a few Months Windows Phone will get them. There are PLENTY of games that we all wish we could have but, everyone else has them (even a few Blackberry has) but, we don't. Think Candy Crush, the new Cut the Rope, and I can go on and on with this...

For every 1 App Windows Phone gets, there is about 15-20 more that it needs.

It's sad and one of those catch 22 things, We need the apps to sell more phones but, we cant get the apps due to not selling a ton of phones...

That's a good point. I originally disagreed with you in your earlier posts but I do see the perspective from a former Android/iOs user who has been conditioned to use apps. That person would be necessarily disappointed when switching to WP. I come from a Palm Treo and early adopter of WP background, so I see apps more as a limo ride--it's nice but I don't really need anything other than a commuter vehicle (mobile web browsing). I do think the whole app gap thing is overblown but obviously it is holding WP back so in that respect I look forward to the day when companies feel the need to design an app for all three operating systems at the same time.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
I have also jumped from one platform to another. Started with wm on htc touch pro, then went to iphone 3gs, iphone 4. When wp7 came out I bought the htc trophy 7, I was curious about the new OS. For me wp7 was really a bd choice, it was so limited, felt like a beta os, a very poor and unfinished platform. I moved away from it and went back to ios. Then I decided to try Android. The s4 was ok, lots of features, great display but...a very big but...laggy, unsecure, bugs. So I decided to try Wp8 on a lumia 920. I was surprised by the os, the new and improved wp although Nokia made some serious nonos with the lumia 920, lots of issues. Now I have a new Lumia 920 and I am waiting for the icon to launch for non verion networks, heard that it will be named 929, and I like it. Games are for tablets,big games. As a tablet I have an Ipad 4 and for the moment I am not thinking to switch, on the tablet side MS needs lot of work to rise on the market,apps are really a problem. But for the pho, wp is great for me and wp8.1 will fix the gaps I have with it such as vpn and encrypted email. Android is to unsecure and buggy, iphone became borring and to limited! No way to change from 3g to 2g?? Only to disable 4g?? Come on...

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
My issue is the "almost there" nature of apps and OS. Take for example the Netflix app. On iOS and Apple, the experience is identical. All the features are identical between platforms. Not so on WP. While the app is there, it's missing little things. One example is the ability to pick a diff profile when using Netflix. WP is the only platform that doesn't support it. Why go to the trouble of making an app that isn't the same experience on other platforms? I can understand if there is a programmatic limitation, but for this example?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
My issue is the "almost there" nature of apps and OS. Take for example the Netflix app. On iOS and Apple, the experience is identical. All the features are identical between platforms. Not so on WP. While the app is there, it's missing little things. One example is the ability to pick a diff profile when using Netflix. WP is the only platform that doesn't support it. Why go to the trouble of making an app that isn't the same experience on other platforms? I can understand if there is a programmatic limitation, but for this example?
I wouldn't say the Netflix app is useless without ability to use different profiles. Persons who do not have families wouldn't need multiple profiles.

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
The netflix app works great for me, just sayin'. But I wouldn't have need of profiles, but it is very smooth. Is only slightly different on my ipad and old android maxx. Very insignificant and small learning curve between platforms imo.

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
So it's been about a month since you got the Icon Savagelizards. What's your verdict? Keeping or pitching?

Keeping... That's where I am coming with from all of this. My motivation to moving to WP is to unwind my involvement with Google. There is simply no other way to do so as long as I stay with android.

My frustration is that in doing so I am a second class citizen, and that has nothing to do with the Nokia product itself, which seems to be well built and packed with top-of-the-line specs. Its the OS that at this late date is surprisingly limited. I expect more of Microsoft than that.

I am counting the days to 8.1. Hopefully my Icon will feel like a new phone.

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
@savage,

Honest questions here. It sounds like you do a lot of work from home. I'm curious as to why you use your phone so much when you should be using a computer? If you're out that much and need to do that much work, you should probably be using the Internet Sharing on your phone, so that you can use a tablet. Honestly, I think of my phone as a.... phone. If I'm out and I need to make a note on a document or a quote, I have OneNote and Office365 for simple, quick updates or notations. If I need to get some serious work done, I have my Surface for that.

As far as the proximity sensor on your phone, yeah it sounds like it is bad. Or, you have the call volume cranked up so loud, you tilting the ear speaker away from your face and allowing the screen to come back on. Even then, that's stretching it. If your ear is touching the End button, disconnecting your call, the sensor is bad. Your ear should not get close enough to the screen to disconnect the call.

Fair point, and I do use WiFi and Internet sharing with my Surface Pro quite a bit. Still, I spend a lot of my time at different properties, and maybe my tablet is in my car or in my bag.

I guess also expectations are based on what I had before. If I know that I already have done something, it's okay for me to expect that I can do it now, only better.

Two of my favorite things about the Icon are the screen and the keyboard. I like the screen because it allows me to read documents wherever I am. I like the keyboard because I can type much more quickly than I used to with my Razr Maxx. I am posting this from my phone rather than my SP, which is in the other room charging.

Of course, if I am not going to use the phone for more of what I used to use a computer for, then I don't need a bigger screen and roomy, speedy keyboard. I could just carry an iPhone. It makes calls and has apps.

I am looking for more out of my mobile device then for it to simply be an iPhone. I want my phone to be a junior version of my SP. I want the compromise on device size to be offset by convenience. The power is there in the hardware side. This is a true mobile computer. It's the software side that's lacking.

Hopefully WP 8.1 will be the game changer...

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I didn't say it was useless, I was pointing out an example of an app that they went to the trouble of writing, but then didn't add the same features as the other OS's.

Markham Ranja

Banned
Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Of course, if I am not going to use the phone for more of what I used to use a computer for, then I don't need a bigger screen and roomy, speedy keyboard. I could just carry an iPhone. It makes calls and has apps.

I am looking for more out of my mobile device then for it to simply be an iPhone. I want my phone to be a junior version of my SP. I want the compromise on device size to be offset by convenience. The power is there in the hardware side. This is a true mobile computer. It's the software side that's lacking.

Hopefully WP 8.1 will be the game changer...

Such devices already exist, in the form of Android phones. Now bear with me... I did see the post where you said you want to get away from Google and I sympathise, having bought my L920 (full price even) for much the same reason. I was similarly disappointed by the lack of core OS functionality and some apps. I don't care about having any of these Candy Crush or whatever apps, but no Uber? Come on!

So I got a Nexus 5. You have the option of getting a custom ROM if you really want to make sure all ties with Google are cut, but that's not really necessary because stock Android is quite good now. So what I did was create a throwaway Google account, especially for the phone. That is used ONLY so I can download apps from the Play Store. That account has never received email or been used anywhere else. I don't use Google Drive or Gmail or any other Google service on the phone, except for Google Maps, and I turn off GPS and Location Services when I'm not using them. For email and other things, there are plenty of apps, even the Outlook app. I have my own domain and email. I use the MS Office 365 app which is very good, since I am an Office customer.

I think this keeps me away from Google while allowing me to attach whatever I want to an email. Not really perfect, but it'll have to do. Hoping that 8.1 will finally make WP usable for me.

Kashan Osama

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
I guess WP must allow devs APIs to fully expand their apps functionalities,and integration with atleast basic apps like calender mail messages reminders etc just like iOS,in iOS apps can virtually do anything in their "closed" sandbox,that is why iOS has some extremely groundbreaking apps

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
Such devices already exist, in the form of Android phones. Now bear with me... I did see the post where you said you want to get away from Google and I sympathise, having bought my L920 (full price even) for much the same reason. I was similarly disappointed by the lack of core OS functionality and some apps. I don't care about having any of these Candy Crush or whatever apps, but no Uber? Come on!

So I got a Nexus 5. You have the option of getting a custom ROM if you really want to make sure all ties with Google are cut, but that's not really necessary because stock Android is quite good now. So what I did was create a throwaway Google account, especially for the phone. That is used ONLY so I can download apps from the Play Store. That account has never received email or been used anywhere else. I don't use Google Drive or Gmail or any other Google service on the phone, except for Google Maps, and I turn off GPS and Location Services when I'm not using them. For email and other things, there are plenty of apps, even the Outlook app. I have my own domain and email. I use the MS Office 365 app which is very good, since I am an Office customer.

I think this keeps me away from Google while allowing me to attach whatever I want to an email. Not really perfect, but it'll have to do. Hoping that 8.1 will finally make WP usable for me.

There is a lot of truth in what you just said... If I am Microsoft, am I responding to it?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers