Day 20 with Icon and It's feeling... Limited

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
im def starting to feel the limitations now that the honeymoon moment is over. Lack of games and apps have been killer. My wife with her iphone blows me away gaming wise. Also the new htc one(M8) and galaxy S5 have me feeling jealous. They have the new snapdragon 801 and a huge ecosystem of games and support. Wp8 is by far the best OS, just OS wise, cant complain there. WP8.1 wont fix any of these issues regarding the apps/games, so I dont see a bright future with the Icon for me personally.

I'm afraid that Genie and Samantha are just TV characters so blinking or twitching won't bring all things to all people. I for one am impressed with how much has happened to WP8 in the short time it's been on the market. Will it ever be what you want? I can't answer that but I can say it does the job for me.

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
im def starting to feel the limitations now that the honeymoon moment is over. Lack of games and apps have been killer. My wife with her iphone blows me away gaming wise. Also the new htc one(M8) and galaxy S5 have me feeling jealous. They have the new snapdragon 801 and a huge ecosystem of games and support. Wp8 is by far the best OS, just OS wise, cant complain there. WP8.1 wont fix any of these issues regarding the apps/games, so I dont see a bright future with the Icon for me personally.

If we are really evaluating Icon on the basis that its processor isn't as good as the 801 than this phone will never get traction.

Actually I think the hardware can hold its own with any manufacturer.

avazee

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I thing the original poster was spot on regarding not being able to use speech-to-text on any text box across the entire OS.

This is a huge flaw and it's a shame that it isn't on MS's list for 8.1. This is probably the sole reason I'm keeping my Moto X around for a while longer.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I thing the original poster was spot on regarding not being able to use speech-to-text on any text box across the entire OS.

This is a huge flaw and it's a shame that it isn't on MS's list for 8.1. This is probably the sole reason I'm keeping my Moto X around for a while longer.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk
Maybe Cortana will be the solution that we're looking for.

Zacharyw70

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
This is a good thread to read. As someone who is thinking about jumping to WP8 from currently being on iOS and previously being on Android.

Go-2guy

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
I think a very important thing to consider about the "functionality" of the phone lies in the economics driving it's development. IF you are dependent on core features and functions, switching phones requires you perform your own due diligence in what features you can and can't live without. A flip phone will make basic calls flawlessly. 10 years ago everyone had one and Blackberry became king with mobile plans and email clients because that's what people needed. I had an HP PDA with Windows CE, a Blackjack and a Blackberry 8100. All very fun and completely uncapable of surfing the web. If you wanted web surfing and desktop productivity, you bought a laptop... then Apple reinvented how we used phones. Many are quick to forget how limited Apple products were (and still are in many rights) with regards to open functionality. THEY STILL DON'T SUPPORT FLASH!

As people became more mobile, we saw netbooks (trash) and then tablets (why?) and the ultra-books (cool) and then tablets again (sweet) that gradually paved the way for us to truly become mobile power users as technology was able to support the demand we had for the devices functionality.

The core of Microsoft business is in enterprise, Apple has and always will be focused on the end-user, it's what they've invested in for years. Google- it's just google, they are a brilliant team of developers that entered the game with a lot less baggage (legacy systems) that the other two which is what has allowed them to develop in a new market much faster.

I've been researching phones and reviews for two months at an OS level to see what was and was not possible. I had an iPhone 3gs/4/4s and loved it, it was the Honda Civic of phones. Came with a lot of options, easy to use, dependable and hard to mess up. I then got an S3 with was fantastic, lot's of options and cool features. More learning curve for more fun, however- the security vulnerabilities in the market place and constant maintenance of apps was a bit of a chore when every app purchase requires looking into the developer to ensure the permissions were kosher.

I've had my Icon for one day no, the power cycling thing is a little bit of a put out (If it's plugged in and charging and I shut it down, it just reboots). However, being able to edit functions in excel is amazing, all of the general apps (Pandora, Spotify, Netflix, Mobile Banking Apps, LinkedIn, Fandango, StubHub) are there. There are permissions that Windows OS has to fight for with Google, and Apple because they all three are competing for a market and tried to build sustenance for their own ecosystem. So far, I love the phone. Lot's more research into functionality and configuring it to do what I want, but that's technology. I have a laptop (Windows 7), two tablets (Android and Windows 8.1), and a desktop. I know what I have to do where and have been around long enough to know that snake oil doesn't cure everything. I'd personally like to see the Windows phone pull through which is why I invested my dollar there. I don't trust all of my personal information with a company that wants to make "all information available to anyone" and has their heart in advertising. Apple doesn't have the clout to pull enterprise level business, and is unfortunately lost without Jobs (5c... a cheaper phone for the masses? How'd that work for the Mercedes C-Class?) Microsoft will not spend money in a market that does not show promise, people forget the meaning of a dolar and IOU. Invest and seek return or spend and seek demise.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I got to say, I read every post I'm this thread and it is good read for anyone considering WP8. I know I was for while. And this thread reinforces the idea on WPCentral and windows phone fans as a whole that a LOT of people are hoping on the fact that 8.1 will fix a lot of present issues in 8. I hope it does so I can grab a Lumia Icon too. OP you made some fantastic points about WP8 as an OS instead of just saying "no apps".

Sent from my XT1060 using Mobile Nations mobile app

BytorJr

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Once again, I'm considering a WP phone. I'm still on Verizon so Icon has attracted my attention. This is more of a general windows question. Who updates the OS on Windows phones? This is my biggest gripe with Android. My Razor M may or may not ever be updated, it depends on Motorola/Lenovo AND Verizon. I don't have this problem with my Nexus 7; but, as we all know, VZ will likely never get another Nexus phone. Also, I am sick and tired of my Android phone going from responsive to slug master nearly instantaneously. So my question is 1) Like Apple, does MSFT do the "push" of the OS or is it both manufacturer dependent and provider dependent? 2) Do WP phones get sluggish? 3) Is Verizon pulling their usual shenanigans on this phone like Android phones or has MSFT/Nokia pretty much not allowed that?

Other than 1 banking app and Sirius XM I think I can make the switch with little loss of "app" functionality. Mainly read the news, weather, some online magazines, and that's about it other than usual email stuff.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Once again, I'm considering a WP phone. I'm still on Verizon so Icon has attracted my attention. This is more of a general windows question. Who updates the OS on Windows phones? This is my biggest gripe with Android. My Razor M may or may not ever be updated, it depends on Motorola/Lenovo AND Verizon. I don't have this problem with my Nexus 7; but, as we all know, VZ will likely never get another Nexus phone. Also, I am sick and tired of my Android phone going from responsive to slug master nearly instantaneously. So my question is 1) Like Apple, does MSFT do the "push" of the OS or is it both manufacturer dependent and provider dependent? 2) Do WP phones get sluggish? 3) Is Verizon pulling their usual shenanigans on this phone like Android phones or has MSFT/Nokia pretty much not allowed that?

Other than 1 banking app and Sirius XM I think I can make the switch with little loss of "app" functionality. Mainly read the news, weather, some online magazines, and that's about it other than usual email stuff.

Verizon pushes out the updates.Also the Motorola/Lenovo deal is not final yet. Patience is needed. The Razr M is supposed to get 4.4.2. I saw a remark that it may even come by late April or early May. Even if you had a WP you are at the mercy of your carrier with updates, though Motorola and Verizon have been on a role lately.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Sorry, but I just don't get it. Anyone that cares enough to join a smartphone web forum would know enough about how its bread and butter offerings (apps and games) is compared to another ecosystems. Did you not go to the online Store to see what they had before you purchased? It should not be a surprise to anyone that Windows Phone, being that its 3.5 years younger than iOS, will not have as many bells and whistles. 3.5 years is a lifetime in today's smartphone market.

Yet, I continue to be amazed in how far MS has taken WP in that amount of time, given that the market was already saturated with iOS and Android goodies. Android, and clearly iOS, had wide open spaces.

The Icon has a SnapDragon 800 processor yet you make a point about the new 801?? That's not even worth mentioning. Really. WP has and will benchmark better on a lesser processors anyway.

There are two games that Android has that I can't get on my WP but it's well worth the sacrifice. ICS promised to be the new fast demon for Android. A few months later I had multiple performance problems. Then Jelly Bean was going to be the savior, and for the first 3 months or so it was. Then the performance problems started again. Android limited the amount of apps/games I could have. I stopped downloading apps/games and used only three home screens. I constantly had to go to Advance Task Killer to help my phone perform decent. I have double the number of games and apps on my Icon than my Android ever had, and I have had NOT ONE hiccup or latency in performance. WP is freedom.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Sorry, but I just don't get it. Anyone that cares enough to join a smartphone web forum would know enough about how its bread and butter offerings (apps and games) is compared to another ecosystems. Did you not go to the online Store to see what they had before you purchased? It should not be a surprise to anyone that Windows Phone, being that its 3.5 years younger than iOS, will not have as many bells and whistles. 3.5 years is a lifetime in today's smartphone market.

Yet, I continue to be amazed in how far MS has taken WP in that amount of time, given that the market was already saturated with iOS and Android goodies. Android, and clearly iOS, had wide open spaces.

The Icon has a SnapDragon 800 processor yet you make a point about the new 801?? That's not even worth mentioning. Really. WP has and will benchmark better on a lesser processors anyway.

There are two games that Android has that I can't get on my WP but it's well worth the sacrifice. ICS promised to be the new fast demon for Android. A few months later I had multiple performance problems. Then Jelly Bean was going to be the savior, and for the first 3 months or so it was. Then the performance problems started again. Android limited the amount of apps/games I could have. I stopped downloading apps/games and used only three home screens. I constantly had to go to Advance Task Killer to help my phone perform well. WP is freedom. I have double the number of games and apps on my Icon with NOT ONE hiccup or latency in performance.

Android has changed so much between 4.1 and 4.4.2. that any old notions about speed and consistency are just not valid anymore. Back then it had to be a flagship phone I'm order for it run pretty well. Nowadays where low end phones have dual core or quad core processors and 1GB of RAM and devices like the Moto G available for $99 with the latest version of android. Its the ultimate goal of a more faster experience across even more android devices.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Android has changed so much between 4.1 and 4.4.2. that any old notions about speed and consistency are just not valid anymore. Back then it had to be a flagship phone I'm order for it run pretty well. Nowadays where low end phones have dual core or quad core processors and 1GB of RAM and devices like the Moto G available for $99 with the latest version of android. Its the ultimate goal of a more faster experience across even more android devices.

I was on Android from Froyo to JB 4.3.x. Each version promised to be the fix for security and performance issues. I had two flagship Android devices, one of which was the purist Galaxy Nexus. Just didn't work for me *shrug*

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I was on Android from Froyo to JB 4.3.x. Each version promised to be the fix for security and performance issues. I had two flagship Android devices, one of which was the purist Galaxy Nexus. Just didn't work for me *shrug*

You have to see KitKat 4.4.2. to judge android now. Its leagues better than any version before. My Droid RAZR M is fine on JB. But KitKat would make it a wonderful device.

BytorJr

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Well, like I said, my Nexus 7 (2013) is fine. Maybe I shall wait and see what happens if and when I get KitKat on my Razr M. I'll keep an open mind toward Windows; and I do hope it picks up speed and becomes more popular. I would love to see a more Apple-like distribution of OS on Windows where (as I understand) carriers have a lot less say so in updates. Anyways, thanks for all the info.

lantern20

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site
Typically you'd get the updates from your carrier, as they would be pushing updated firmware in addition to any other OS updates. However, MS has an "enthusiast" program for "developers" where you can download the updates as soon as they are available and not have to wait for carriers. I believe to qualify for a developer you would need a free? developer account from the windowsphone app studio. There's a whole write-up on it you just need to search WPCentral.

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
You have to see KitKat 4.4.2. to judge android now. Its leagues better than any version before. My Droid RAZR M is fine on JB. But KitKat would make it a wonderful device.

my daughter has a Droid Ultra. She got it about six months ago and loved it. Best phone ever. Two weeks ago she was asking about her upgrade date. Hates it. Totally laggy.

Its the nature of the beast, really.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
my daughter has a Droid Ultra. She got it about six months ago and loved it. Best phone ever. Two weeks ago she was asking about her upgrade date. Hates it. Totally laggy.

Its the nature of the beast, really.

On order for a device to get laggy something had to happen. What happened to it? Did she download some weird app? Is she putting the processor under load? What are her usage habits? These are the question YOU should be asking as you are tech savvy person I would guess as you are frequenting mobile nations forums.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa