Day 20 with Icon and It's feeling... Limited

muneshyne21

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
A895, It seems to be running fine after the factory cache reformat. I don't have that much stuff. Normal banking, news, autoweek, motortrend and that sort of stuff. Nothing remotely out of the ordinary. I like the phone as it's almost the perfect size.

muneshyne21, nice history lesson; but, people forget just how much Nokia squandered due to sloppy management not understanding what the engineers had developed.

Nokia actually had an iphone prototype before the iphone with a capacitive screen. I guess it was too big of a leap of faith for management. Symbian could have been iOS and Nokia would have been Apple...with better cameras.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Nokia actually had an iphone prototype before the iphone with a capacitive screen. I guess it was too big of a leap of faith for management. Symbian could have been iOS and Nokia would have been Apple...with better cameras.

Would it have had the support Apple had though?

Sent from my XT1060 using Mobile Nations mobile app

BytorJr

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Good question there. The "STORE" is what made Apple. I'd argue Symbian was better (minus touch screen) than the first iPhone. It just didn't have the support. Nokia didn't market well; but again, the Symbian foundation didn't help build a store. It's complicated. The world changed and like it or not, Apple was at the forefront. I really want to like WP8+ (and my little test phone has been fun the last 2 days). Going forward, I can see Windows giving iOS a battle more than it can give Android a battle. One BIG thing Android has issues with is security and reading today about some things starting to come out, I'm starting to get more scared of Android. That said, I'm still fairly committed with my Phone and Nexus 7.

The world would be very interesting had Nokia continued Meego and Symbian and merged them. They had a good idea; they just gave up for whatever reason (probably because it would have been more or less their ecosystem). Alas, I diverge here. Sorry.

psychotron

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Apple didn't have the app store until almost a year after the iPhone was introduced and it still sold like hotcakes regardless, so whether or not that was actually a factor is pretty debatable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Good question there. The "STORE" is what made Apple. I'd argue Symbian was better (minus touch screen) than the first iPhone. It just didn't have the support. Nokia didn't market well; but again, the Symbian foundation didn't help build a store. It's complicated. The world changed and like it or not, Apple was at the forefront. I really want to like WP8+ (and my little test phone has been fun the last 2 days). Going forward, I can see Windows giving iOS a battle more than it can give Android a battle. One BIG thing Android has issues with is security and reading today about some things starting to come out, I'm starting to get more scared of Android. That said, I'm still fairly committed with my Phone and Nexus 7.

The world would be very interesting had Nokia continued Meego and Symbian and merged them. They had a good idea; they just gave up for whatever reason (probably because it would have been more or less their ecosystem). Alas, I diverge here. Sorry.

Android doesn't have a problem with security. Its tech pundits that do. No average Android user is concerned about security.

BytorJr

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I'm certainly no expert here; but no large company that I have been associated with having an enterprise system trusts Android as a company supplied phone. I'd also submit that the average phone user doesn't understand security whatsoever. Google is trying to rectify this problem as reported on Yahoo! News - something more akin to Samsung Knox.

I also read earlier today where some new trojan can bypass the way the Play store scans Apps for security issues. Basically the way I understood it, is that it fakes out the program to make Play think it scanned things. I'm still trying to find that article. If I do find it, I shall point to it. Ahh found it, it was about a parental control trojan built using Dendroid which basically defeats "Bouncer."

Not trying to start a flame war...just know that; but there are security issues with Android and probably every other system known to mankind.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
So it will be three weeks tomorrow since I picked up my Icon.

I keep disconnecting calls because my ear touches the end button. Android solved this FIVE YEARS AGO. Can you really not sense when the phone is against someone's face and turn off the display until they pull it back away again? Sure, I can hit the answer button, then the power button BEFORE I put the phone to my ear, but if I need to look something up while I am talking, I have to hit the power button again, then swipe up to get back to the call screen. God forbid it's some type of notification, because then I have to go back to the start screen and start scanning tiles to figure out what just happened, then turn the phone back off again before putting it back to my ear.

I just bought my Icon today. had the plastic wrap still on the phone and made a call and the screen turned black. forgot about the proximity sensor and was wondering why the screen turned black and was unresponsive to touch. then read the faq. removed the plastic wrap and the screen stayed lit during the call. waved my thumb in front of the proximity sensor (without touching it) and the screen turned off. so you don't even have to touch the proximity sensor for the screen to turn off and to lock out the buttons. You can hold your finger about an inch away from the sensor before the screen turns back on and the buttons are there. FYI, my screen was also set to normal touch (not the sensitive mode where you can use gloves).

so it's got to be your phone. go exchange it. I got the $99 microsoft insurance (because I'm a klutz).

muneshyne21

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
I'm certainly no expert here; but no large company that I have been associated with having an enterprise system trusts Android as a company supplied phone. I'd also submit that the average phone user doesn't understand security whatsoever. Google is trying to rectify this problem as reported on Yahoo! News - something more akin to Samsung Knox.

I also read earlier today where some new trojan can bypass the way the Play store scans Apps for security issues. Basically the way I understood it, is that it fakes out the program to make Play think it scanned things. I'm still trying to find that article. If I do find it, I shall point to it. Ahh found it, it was about a parental control trojan built using Dendroid which basically defeats "Bouncer."

Not trying to start a flame war...just know that; but there are security issues with Android and probably every other system known to mankind.

Sadly this is where Blackberry shines and it was positioned perfectly to be marketed as such. There's a reason why the US govt. just announced that they will be sticking with BB. The NSA news along with Snowden's Leaks would have been the greatest marketing ploy ever. Instead they tried to play the "we have touch screens and apps too" consumer game and got completely screwed. Talk about missed opportunities.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Sadly this is where Blackberry shines and it was positioned perfectly to be marketed as such. There's a reason why the US govt. just announced that they will be sticking with BB. The NSA news along with Snowden's Leaks would have been the greatest marketing ploy ever. Instead they tried to play the "we have touch screens and apps too" consumer game and got completely screwed. Talk about missed opportunities.

I even doubt even then they could have done something. I tried asking normal people when I worked at a Barned and Noble and they was like "Who cares, already knew the government was spying on us". Because honestly what normal person would care? They have more pressing life issues bills, kids, etc. Also add on the fact it took until recently fore BlackBerry devices to even be able load Android apps from the web browser they still could not have done anything.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site

No flame war here. Though it is true no one cares about security. If they did they wouldn't use all these social networks. Also, Google is reportedly aiming the next version of Android for security. But then again Android as a whole is pretty secure because it is open, but user error combined with very rare of bad apps from the play store make it more vulnerable.

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
The smartphone satisfaction thing. I would like a source for that. Android is not complicated to use. It that was the case majority of android owners would have jumped ship to something simpler. But, they don't you here more people coming to android than leaving it. Also saying android is the majority because of cost is funny considering the majority windows phones are the cheapest ones and the most popular android phones (Samsung Galaxy devices) cost the same or similar to the iPhone. Also, its not that apps make you want to be perceived a certain way. Its just that some smartphone users use apps that are essential in day to day life. For example, I pay $5 a month for Evernote premium and I use Evernote to the up notes in my college psych class and take photos of anything important and put it in there etc. I think what you are thinking of is the newer generation who use smart phones for pure social media usage and entertainment.

Seriously, you speak like someone who is addressing the issue from a geek perspective. I can't count how many times I've watched co-workers fumbling to find certain settings on their Androids (it's even funnier to watch 2 in particular that have the same phone (either S2's or S3's...forget) but on different carriers so their apps and settings are in different locations. I've used a number of Android devices, my wife's iPhone 4S (including with iOS7), and my webOS phones (bless their little hearts). Android IS complicated and not the best thought out or organized OS, not by a long shot. Once you know it, it may not seem complicated, but it is.

As for satisfaction, I can Bing it and find numerous examples. Here's 3 from different time periods and methods (JD Powers is by phone, but you can get the gist of it): First, second, and third link. There are more, but the trend hasn't changed. Android has frequently had one of the higher ratings for "likely to change OS" when surveyed for the likelihood of someone changing from the OS they are currently running. The vast majority of smartphone users want 1: social networks, 2: email, 3: browsing, 4: messaging, and 5: casual games. WP8 has all of that and is probably the best at most of them. Casual games is really the only "weak" spot, but I have over 40 games on my Icon, and there are a great many more. They don't always have the latest and greatest, but most of the popular ones are there.

I stand on what I said. I haven't been limited on my Icon at all, and I love the phone, much more than my 822.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Seriously, you speak like someone who is addressing the issue from a geek perspective. I can't count how many times I've watched co-workers fumbling to find certain settings on their Androids (it's even funnier to watch 2 in particular that have the same phone (either S2's or S3's...forget) but on different carriers so their apps and settings are in different locations. I've used a number of Android devices, my wife's iPhone 4S (including with iOS7), and my webOS phones (bless their little hearts). Android IS complicated and not the best thought out or organized OS, not by a long shot. Once you know it, it may not seem complicated, but it is.

As for satisfaction, I can Bing it and find numerous examples. Here's 3 from different time periods and methods (JD Powers is by phone, but you can get the gist of it): First, second, and third link. There are more, but the trend hasn't changed. Android has frequently had one of the higher ratings for "likely to change OS" when surveyed for the likelihood of someone changing from the OS they are currently running. The vast majority of smartphone users want 1: social networks, 2: email, 3: browsing, 4: messaging, and 5: casual games. WP8 has all of that and is probably the best at most of them. Casual games is really the only "weak" spot, but I have over 40 games on my Icon, and there are a great many more. They don't always have the latest and greatest, but most of the popular ones are there.

I stand on what I said. I haven't been limited on my Icon at all, and I love the phone, much more than my 822.

You realize two of your links is from 2012!? Android 4.4 was just put as more stable than iOS recently and has changed so much since 2012 overall. The J.D. link didn`t help your case at all because Samsung was the highest rated Manufacturer after Apple according to them. Your case about your coworkers is very anecdotal, and does not prove anything and to say they are Samsung devices makes it worse seeing as they are the heaviest with customization. To say Windows Phone does the essentials best is very subjective. Also, WP8 does not have the casuals games yet. The latest ones, Cut the Rope 2 and Threes are nowhere to be found on WP.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
actually no. A lot of people recommend folks to experience wp8 as is 😊

Sent from my RM-877_nam_att_205 using Tapatalk

Yet I see many posts around here saying wait for WP8.1 phones.

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site

If you are on Verizon, I don't think that there's much difference. Icon will almost certainly be one if the first phones to get the 8.1 upgrade, and Verizon offers very few WP flagships.

If you can afford to wait a couple of weeks, you could play with an WP 8.1 loaded Icon at your Microsoft store, which is the best place to buy a windows phone.

As for me, I am hanging in there after five weeks with the Icon. Nokia has built a quality handset. I am counting on WP 8.1 to be a full-blown OS upgrade. If 8.1 delivers on its promises, WP could finally be ready for prime time.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
If you are on Verizon, I don't think that there's much difference. Icon will almost certainly be one if the first phones to get the 8.1 upgrade, and Verizon offers very few WP flagships.

If you can afford to wait a couple of weeks, you could play with an WP 8.1 loaded Icon at your Microsoft store, which is the best place to buy a windows phone.

As for me, I am hanging in there after five weeks with the Icon. Nokia has built a quality handset. I am counting on WP 8.1 to be a full-blown OS upgrade. If 8.1 delivers on its promises, WP could finally be ready for prime time.

The Icon more than likely will be last Nokia phone for Verizon this year if last year and the year before that is anything to go by. If that is the case the Icon is the WP to get if you use Verizon.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site

LMAO ok good for you.
I said I see people recommended windows phone as is, like myself

You see the opposite

We see what we want to see

But why did my statement require a retort from you? Although I already know that answer

psychotron

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
LMAO ok good for you.
I said I see people recommended windows phone as is, like myself

You see the opposite

We see what we want to see

But why did my statement require a retort from you? Although I already know that answer

Um.... maybe because you posted a "retort" to his statement? What, are you the only one who gets to reply to people or something?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb