Is Wifi terrible on all Icons?

MikeLip

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
I notice my wifi signal seems very weak at times and sometimes disappears altogether. Seems to fluctuate alot also. However so far has never disconnected itself. I just don't pay attention to it anymore.
The bigger annoyance with the wifi for me is when its on my icon has trouble waking up, always a 3 to 5 sec delay. So I seldom use it.

Is there a difference in the radios between the 928 and Icon? I finally took 8.1DP off the Icon and went back to 8.0 because the wakeup delay drove me nuts. But it never happens on the 928. 8.1 is awesome on that, making it my favorite phone ever.

MikeLip

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Did your icon still have the wake up delay with the wifi turned off?

Yes. But here is an odd thing. When I first installed it, I wiped the phone under WP8. Then I installed DP8.1 and all my apps. There were no delays for a long time. I always had my wifi on. Then one day I turned the phone off to temporarily swap the SIM into another phone. When I put the SIM back in the Icon and fired it up, bam. Delay. The delay occurred whether I had wifi coverage or not and whether I had it on or not. Sometimes it was nearly instant-on, other times it took several seconds. I wiped the phone and reinstalled apps, hoping that would fix it. Nope. I lived with it for a while, got annoyed, then went back to 8.0. Which really ticks me off since I got addicted to the swype-style keyboard and pulldown quick settings!

Obsidial

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Honestly, I think it mainly has to do with 5GHz. I have my home network SSID's segregated 2.4 and 5.0 GHz and my Icon (with May Verizon firmware update and 8.1DP) is MUCH better on 2.4 than 5. If I manually connect to the 5 network it drops connectivity easily, but it sticks on the 2.4 GHz network like glue.

Before I upgraded to the 8.1 DP, I could stay on that same 5GHz network much further away and speeds were much better.

I'm guessing the drivers on DP are not optimized for this hardware and Cyan will take care of it.

WP7Nettwerk

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
My experience with wifi, I can say on 5Ghz network using AC standard works with no issues. But if you router hasn't ac and u have setup on N, so network speed is down twice or three times less. So I haven't saved screenshots but with AC download speed is ~66Mb/s (same on computer download speed) but N = 32Mb/s.
Router what I have Asus RT-AC68U (Tomato firmware).

mtalinm

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
My experience with wifi, I can say on 5Ghz network using AC standard works with no issues. But if you router hasn't ac and u have setup on N, so network speed is down twice or three times less. So I haven't saved screenshots but with AC download speed is ~66Mb/s (same on computer download speed) but N = 32Mb/s.
Router what I have Asus RT-AC68U (Tomato firmware).

I have an n router at home and it is so awful: connectivity, speed, etc. was in a hotel recently and it was incredible. maybe I should go buy an ac router?

anon(4054009)

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
My Icon has been working great on 5GHz with my Apple AirPort Express router.
I run three Apple Express in extension mode and a new Apple TimeCapsule to cover my house and patio. My Icon has real trouble handing off to the strongest signal, will hang on to a very weak one until I cycle WiFi off/on. Eventually sometimes it will switch.

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
Man, I'm sick of the sucky wifi. My Icon with 8.1 has to be restarted if I want to connect to wifi. After re-starting, it will find and connect to previous wifi's. After a while, I can look at the wifi settings and either it sees the known connection and won't connect, or it won't even see the known and long-established hotspot. This is at work, home, or other places I frequent. Lucky I have unlimited data and good cellular, and hopefully, cyan will fix it.

mtalinm

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
just set up a 5gz ac router at home and wifi performance is much better on my icon than with my n router.

it was a refurbed Linksys, $60 on amazon.

JK75

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
...Router what I have Asus RT-AC68U (Tomato firmware).

I bought this router and set it up last night. Went from almost no connectivity on my Icon at home to full strength in the same spot. I got tired of waiting for VZW to release Cyan but going back to 8.0 in the meantime just wasn't an attractive option.

JudgeHolden

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
My WiFi is actually worse since the recent update. I show more bars, but the signal isn't noticeably better.

What's more frustrating, though, is every few days it will just stop looking for new networks. It will freeze and show a few networks I'm not familiar with but must be near at some point because it's always one of the same two groups. If I turn the WiFi off and then back on it will immediately show these same networks. They aren't ones I'm near at the time. Usually turning on and turning off solves my issues (like when it kept refusing to connect to my home network after being on another network elsewhere), but this doesn't. Only rebooting the phone will.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3