Is Wifi terrible on all Icons?

Starrbuck

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
I would say it means a lot. How can that not mean much? And apps show the signal strength on the Icon to be the weakest. Problem is I couldn't find the same signal strength app for both Android and Windows. It's not a big deal to me as I was planning on getting a wider range router anyways. But for this many people to have the exact same issue, I believe its an issue. And I believe Nokia does as well. I just hope we get a fix for it sooner than later.

I believe you answered your own question. ;-)

radmanvr

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
I am just here to say that I have no issues with my Xbox One, Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, 2 Icons (one belonging to the wife), and 2 PCs being on WiFi, but then again I have like a $130 router.

Kage Maru

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
It could just be because of my use case at the time. I was constantly moving from in WiFi to off WiFi to bad cellular to good cellular in the matter of minutes for hours at a time.

Sounds like it wasn't exactly the setting you were using but instead the unstable signals being sent to the phone. When it's constantly trying to find the strongest signal (carrier or WiFi), that's a guaranteed way to kill your battery. Anything that causes the phone to "search" will impact the battery actually. That's why I turn off WiFi discovery and instead manually tell it to connect when I suspect a WiFi may be near.

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
If you can afford it I HIGHLY recommend this router. I have 2 laptops 2 phones 2 tablest an xbox one and 360 all running at the same time with 0 issues. Also the firmware is light years above any other manufacture.

i have a 1.5 acre lot and i get 5bars everywhere i go in my house/yard.

Kieta

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
If you can afford it I HIGHLY recommend this router. I have 2 laptops 2 phones 2 tablest an xbox one and 360 all running at the same time with 0 issues. Also the firmware is light years above any other manufacture.

i have a 1.5 acre lot and i get 5bars everywhere i go in my house/yard.

I'm actually debating between that one, the AC56U or the NetGear AC1600. Newegg has been having a lot of modem/router bundle deals lately, waiting on one with the SB6141 modem.

macroweb

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
I have a Razer Blade gaming laptop which has some optimization software built-in, with cellular data off on my Icon, using Speedtest.net, my Icon averaged 30% LESS on the download side and 10% LESS on the upload side. I have AT&T U-Verse, with an AT&T provided wireless router.

This is very disappointing, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Starrbuck

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
is there an app that does this? I couldn't find one.

None that I'm aware of. That's part of what makes it so bogus. Three bars on a Nokia is not the same as 3 bars on another Nokia, not to mention an iPhone, Samsung, etc. The significance of the bars is different across devices.

Lost_Cosmonaut

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
My Icon regularly registers only one or two bars of WiFi even when my iPhone and Surface are showing excellent signal. It still "works" (confirmed by making sure "use cell data if WiFi is weak" was off) but it's kinda troublesome.

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I'm having this same issue. Low bars and signal strength on my icon. I can have my 928 right next to it and its full bars. I'm hoping Cyan will fix this.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Yep. Excellent performance. My Icon was getting consistent 20Mbps+ download speeds, whereas my Surface Pro was getting around 10Mbps on the exact same network and frequency band (5.8GHz).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss