Is Wifi terrible on all Icons?

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
This is an issue with Windows Phone 8.1 Developer Preview. I used the Nokia Recovery Tool to flash my phone back to Windows Phone 8.0. Nokia actually includes the latest firmware update put out by Verizon with the red boot splash screen. My WiFi signal did include the new little "arrow" that points on BOTH the LTE and WiFi signals. Everything worked perfectly. Wifi worked, LTE worked, no lag with power button, smooth as butter. I then again re-upgraded to Windows Phone 8.1 and the Wifi issue is still occurring. The Wifi signal is grayed out. The WiFi cut out on me twice while downloading app updates and the lag to wake the phone has returned. Microsoft needs to investigate these issues and get them fixed as soon as possible or they are going to have to delay the official release of the update. This will definitely cause them to lose sales, especially with Apple soon to release the iPhone 6. Come on MS, get on this issue NOW!
Exactly my experience with the Wi-Fi on Icon. After the update on 8.0 it worked great, now back on 8.1 and it has issues with the range again. This is especially annoying when using public Wi-Fi which often can be rather weak, but with Verizon's limited plans is something I need to rely on a lot (I really miss the peace of mind of being on T-Mobile's unlimited plan). My Lumia 521 has much better Wi-Fi range than my Icon. :/ This is something that really needs to be fixed.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Ever since the last Dev update (the battery life one) I have had zero issues with my WiFi. I'm really hoping that's not just coincidence.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Ever since the last Dev update (the battery life one) I have had zero issues with my WiFi. I'm really hoping that's not just coincidence.

When you say "zero issues", does that include having acceptable range of reception as well? That's the main problem I have.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Those of you who say that you don't have issues, have you actually tried your Icon in locations where WiFi is weak? Because it's the RANGE that's the issue for the OP of this thread and for me as well.

Ive seen my WiFi signal bars drop off to nothing and be completely grayed out yet I still stay connected and can use WiFi like its fine. Makes me think that on my icon at least, as I can't speak for others, that its more of an aesthetics issue with the bars display than an actual disconnection. In any case, its a non issue and I no longer pay attention to it.
It's not a "non-issue" at all, when the Icon can't even find the network to connect to. This is NOT a signal indicator problem.

When I simply cannot connect to a public WiFi network because the Icon can't find it due to it having weak reception (whereas my Lumia 521 can), that's an issue. I would actually imagine that this is an issue with every single Icon - it's just not noticeable if you mainly use it in your home or at work (where I am close enough to the router).

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for trying to help Timothy but I assure you it's the phone. It has terrible WiFi range. I'm in a rural area without any neighboring WiFi. WiFi works great with 3 other phones, 3 different tablets, and a notebook. Same places where coverage is fine on other devices my Icon doesn't even see the router in range. Fingers crossed it's a WP8.1 thing.

It is exactly the same in WP 8.0 on my Icon. Let's hope Nokia releases some sort of fix for it anyway.

pursuit2550

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
I just got the Icon, came from a LG G2. I have the same signal strength as the LG if not better. I did notice that yesterday I had some grey bars, 2-3. Today after the update I have full bars. I am still on 8.0.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I just got the Icon, came from a LG G2. I have the same signal strength as the LG if not better. I did notice that yesterday I had some grey bars, 2-3. Today after the update I have full bars. I am still on 8.0.
Move to a spot where your G2 has one bar and see what the Icon gets. The Icon will be fine near routers. It's when it's on the edge of a router's coverage that it has issues.

sammyboy405

May 16, 2014
Visit site
I Have Signal Indicator Issues.

Wifi Seems to work fine everywhere I go, However I noticed a HUGE difference in Signal Strength. I can be in my Bedroom and it shows No Signal but still connected, and Speed and Connections are just fine.

I think the Wifi issue is more of a calculating the actual Signal Strength on the indicator.

AskaLangly

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Ohh man. Get this: normally when I'm home, I get my two routers and one neighbor's. But then all of a sudden, my Icon couldn't find one of mine: saw the other one, the one neighbor's.......... AND THE ENTIRE NEIGHBORHOOD'S, including the various cable company WiFi hotspots. Just one reboot after turning off WiFi and it's been normal ever since.
But seriously, this WiFi thing is going to be nuts. My wife recently upgraded to the Icon herself, so we both now have smartphones and only 4GB to share. As for me, I was upgraded to an Icon by accident due to my second 822 bricking with the 'Bootable Option' error. Let's just hope Nokia's firmware updates fixes this issue someday...
And yes, this is coming after a phone reset after installing 8.1-u1.

Akash Patel

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
I Have Signal Indicator Issues.

Wifi Seems to work fine everywhere I go, However I noticed a HUGE difference in Signal Strength. I can be in my Bedroom and it shows No Signal but still connected, and Speed and Connections are just fine.

I think the Wifi issue is more of a calculating the actual Signal Strength on the indicator.

I guess this is a problem in WP8.1 as i have lumia 520 and i also have this problem.

NimaJah

May 30, 2014
Visit site
I have an icon and I have had issues with wifi ever since upgrading to 8.1 dev preview. I loose connection the access point and the only way to reconnect is to turn off wifi and turn it back on. It happens 6-7 times a day. It happens both at home 802.11N and work 802.11G.

I really hope they will fix this soon.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I also rolled back to get the Verizon update for 8.0, then reinstalled 8.1 and both updates. I rolled back to 8.0 for reasons that had nothing to do with Wi-Fi though. I haven't noticed any difference in my Wi-Fi connection since rolling back to 8.0 then reinstalling 8.1. I'm running a 5.8GHz network at home so I doubt I would see a difference. When I'm out and about and connecting to public Wi-Fi hotspots (which run on 2.4GHz) I haven't noticed a difference there either.

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
The only thing that can fix it is the Cyan firmware. If that doesnt fix it, it looks like the wifi radio in the icon is just terrible.

mtalinm

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
The only thing that can fix it is the Cyan firmware. If that doesnt fix it, it looks like the wifi radio in the icon is just terrible.

I don't think it's the radio; with the recent 8.0 update my wifi iwas working great. then I did the 8.1 update and it went kaflooey again.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I run 5ghz as well and constantly have to cycle WiFi. Then the slow speeds. I posted them in a previously.

I did a speed check on both 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz and the difference is negligible. If I go to my daughter's room, then I can't connect to the 5.8GHz, but that is understandable, because 5.8GHz does not have the range of 2.4GHz nor does it have the wall penetration capabilities of 2.4GHz. I'm running a 5.8GHz because of the amount of interference I was getting on 2.4GHz as well as the increased throughput. One of my neighbors moved out recently, and I've noticed a considerable decrease in interference in the 2.4GHz band. I'm wondering if he had a cordless phone that was causing the interference. I'll have to do some more experimenting again.

The 30Mbps download is the 5.8GHz network speed. I'm paying for 25Mbps, so I can't complain.

Attachments

• wp_ss_20140605_0002.png
    wp_ss_20140605_0002.png
    952.4 KB · Views: 5
  • wp_ss_20140605_0001.png
    wp_ss_20140605_0001.png
    952.1 KB · Views: 5

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Ok. So I walked around my house both upstairs and downstairs. I found that I can't connect to the 5.8GHz network in my garage or my daughter's room. No surprise there since 5.8GHz doesn't have the range of 2.4GHz. I can connect to my 5.8GHz in every other part of the house and have good speed. I then switched to my 2.4GHz network and got good connections everywhere in my house and garage. My worst speed was my daughter's room and garage, which again is no Surprise given the distance and the number of walls the signal has to go through. I also connected to the 2.4GHz repeater we have upstairs and again, had no problems connecting and had decent speed, even in my daughter's room.

So for me at least, I'm getting the reception that I should be getting. I'm running 8.1 with the latest update as well as the new firmware that Verizon pumped out for 8.0. I have a higher end Netgear dual band wireless router as well as a Netgear dual band repeater/bridge (2.4GHz repeater/5.8GHz bridge) upstairs to connect my desktop to my network.

My range of speed was just over 30Mbps on my 5.8GHz network all the way down to 2Mbps in my daughter's room and garage on the primary 2.4GHz network. With the majority of speeds between

Attachments

• wp_ss_20140605_0003.png
    wp_ss_20140605_0003.png
    921.1 KB · Views: 4

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte