Is Wifi terrible on all Icons?

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I don't think it's the radio; with the recent 8.0 update my wifi iwas working great. then I did the 8.1 update and it went kaflooey again.

HMM mine seem to be the same on both of them. Firmware update's are the only way they can change the drivers so thats why i think thats the only hope to fix my problem. If it doesnt i will be contacting Nokia/Microsoft for a replacement or some other kind of fix.

JetFixxxer

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
If I knew the ICON wifi was this crappy I wouldn't have purchased. I have my phone leaning about my router and it's telling me there isn't a network. It's amazing that two iPhones, Galaxy s3, Acer A500, MiiX8, and both my Roku are connected without issue. Some of these have 5ghz as well.

quantum tao

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
i have noticed my wifi being more inconsistent lately. i am frequently toggling off/on to get it working. also range seems to vary.
most of the time it works fine.

mtalinm

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
If I knew the ICON wifi was this crappy I wouldn't have purchased. I have my phone leaning about my router and it's telling me there isn't a network. It's amazing that two iPhones, Galaxy s3, Acer A500, MiiX8, and both my Roku are connected without issue. Some of these have 5ghz as well.

Ditto. Hoping cyan will fix but not optimistic

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
I notice my wifi signal seems very weak at times and sometimes disappears altogether. Seems to fluctuate alot also. However so far has never disconnected itself. I just don't pay attention to it anymore.
The bigger annoyance with the wifi for me is when its on my icon has trouble waking up, always a 3 to 5 sec delay. So I seldom use it.

Ltauhmise

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
There has been no change to my wifi reliability. However, 8.1 DP appears to have glitched the wifi icon. It will show zero bars yet I'll have excellent connectivity to my wifi router. A minor cosmetic issue. Aside from that, the Lumia Icon is a superb device that clearly exemplifies what it means to be a flagship windows phone.

Brandon McLean

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
There has been no change to my wifi reliability. However, 8.1 DP appears to have glitched the wifi icon. It will show zero bars yet I'll have excellent connectivity to my wifi router. A minor cosmetic issue. Aside from that, the Lumia Icon is a superb device that clearly exemplifies what it means to be a flagship windows phone.

I agree, it's likely the wifi indicator that is glitched. Another glitched indicator:
wp_ss_20140617_0001.png

I suspect that they messed up when scaling it to a larger/1080p display.

Hounds

May 3, 2014
Visit site
Yes, the wifi on the Icon is the worst. I switched over from my 925 and have regretted it ever since. The signal is weak and I have to restart the wifi service everyday.

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Yes, the wifi on the Icon is the worst. I switched over from my 925 and have regretted it ever since. The signal is weak and I have to restart the wifi service everyday.
Seems like the majority of users here have this issue. Fortunately I and some others do not have it. It's certainly strange how that works tho. Some getting a bug and some with even the same devices not getting it. I do notice my wifi signal bars are always low since 8.1 tho. Seems to make no difference as far as signal, so I just ignore it. Hopefully a future update addresses this for all.

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I get super frustraged with this.

I cant even use my wifi on my deck. With my 928 i could go anywhere in my 1.5 acre yard and get a signal just fine. On the deck with my 928 i get full bars and full speed.

If cyan doesn't fix this we need to lead a charge to the M$ support to get these all replaced or some kind of solution.

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Mine was ok until the last update now it complete ****. Same as the calendar app they both went backwards. They really can't afford these kind of issues while trying to gain mind & market share not only with the consumers but especially the carriers. I mean I know all man made products has defects but being the underdog you have to have the least amount otherwise things start snowballing down hill fast & theses normal defects will be amplified & more ammo to not choose Windows Phone, even if it not true. It's the perception that it is true that hurts.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Seems like the majority of users here have this issue. Fortunately I and some others do not have it. It's certainly strange how that works tho. Some getting a bug and some with even the same devices not getting it. I do notice my wifi signal bars are always low since 8.1 tho. Seems to make no difference as far as signal, so I just ignore it. Hopefully a future update addresses this for all.

I asked someone else this, but have you actually tried it and compared at the fringes of a WiFi network?
Yes the indicator in the "tray" or whatever it's called is screwy, but the one on the WiFi Settings page is correct. I wonder if those who claim to have good signal have actually done comparisons with other devices, or if they only have small WiFi networks they use it in (which wouldn't give you a lot of signal issues).

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
I asked someone else this, but have you actually tried it and compared at the fringes of a WiFi network?
Yes the indicator in the "tray" or whatever it's called is screwy, but the one on the WiFi Settings page is correct. I wonder if those who claim to have good signal have actually done comparisons with other devices, or if they only have small WiFi networks they use it in (which wouldn't give you a lot of signal issues).
It works for me at home and anywhere on my property. Wasn't much concerned about seeing how far I could extend before it dropped. When I go to various coffee houses it works inside and outside patios. I suppose its possible its not as good as before 8.1 , but it works fine even when one or no bars are present and I've not paid attention to strength as it just works.

Brandon McLean

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I think it could be a combination of problems, because I can be standing right next to my router and it'll show no bars on the indicator. the download speeds would sometimes be really slow, sometimes normal in this scenario...as soon as I switch Wi-Fi off then back on, it shows the signal you'd expect (for some time, before reverting back to 3 or less bars pretty much at all times) with good download speeds regardless of the indicator. I'm sure it's and issue that'll be fixed with cyan.

Sent from my Lumia Icon using Tapatalk

Tjarren

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
I haven't had any issues. I just tested mine this morning and got 124mbps down about 15 feet away from the router.

Oh, did I mention that Google Fiber is awesome???

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I haven't had any issues. I just tested mine this morning and got 124mbps down about 15 feet away from the router.

Oh, did I mention that Google Fiber is awesome???
I know some people have had issues close to the router, like the post before you, but I never did, so I'm not surprised you won't have range issues 15 feet away. Did you have any problems with the indicator? That one has issues no matter where I am.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte