Connecting to my Surface Pro Using Bluetooth

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Finally got bluetooth to work between my Galaxy S and the Surface Pro 3:

One time set-up:
1. Press the "settings" Charm - Change PC settings - PC and devices - bluetooth. From there you pair the phone and the computer.
2. Tap the back arrow and tap Control Panel - Device Manager - Bluetooth - double click Marvel AVASTAR - power management - uncheck the box, "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".
3. The bluetooth icon should now be in the task bar of the desktop view and active. You might have to tap the little white arrow to see it. Use the "customize" button to place the icon permanently on the taskbar.

That's it. To get a photo off your phone, click the bluetooth icon on the task bar and tap "receive a file". Then view the picture on the phone and send via bluetooth to the computer. The Surface screen will change to "receiving".

Now the reason behind doing this is because the camera in the Surface Pro 3 will not take close-up photos, like a check or a letter. (Total MS brain fart.) But my Galaxy S takes great closeup photos. With bluetooth, I can quickly get a photo into the Surface Pro 3's pictures folder.

I transferred about 40 pics in the matter of seconds

The process that Michael described transfers the 5MP jpg versions which are about 1.5MB each. The DNG RAW hires versions are 20MB each and take a lot longer to transfer.

In the time it took to transfer 10 5MP (1.5MB) jpg images, I only managed to transfer about 2 of the 16MP (20MB) DNG RAW versions.

You are correct though. It is rather easy to do.

MKairys

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
So is file transfer the only thing you get from pairing phone and tablet? I can't, for example, receive calls or texts on the Surface when it's paired to the phone? (Like my wife's iPad ;)

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
So is file transfer the only thing you get from pairing phone and tablet? I can't, for example, receive calls or texts on the Surface when it's paired to the phone? (Like my wife's iPad ;)

That is correct, you can't get text or other phone notifications on the SP3 via BT. BT on the SP3 and any other laptop running the full version of Win8.1, is primarily for wireless keyboard/mouse and file transfers. Personally, I don't see receiving texts and phone calls on my SP3 as a good thing. That is why I have a phone.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
You can tether your phone for internet/email access on your surface when you don't have access to wifi.

Yes. I know. But that is not my original question. I was specifically looking at transferring files between my Icon and SP3 via BT. Until they increase file transfer speeds on BT or MSFT comes up with a viable direct-WiFi connection, I'm either going to use Easy Transfer or connect my Icon directly using USB.

Thanks though. :)

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I know - I was responding to MKairys who asked what you can do if you connect it. Should've quoted him.

Ah. Sorry. No worries. :) Most phones do that via a WiFi connection. I've tried the BT method and, though it is inherently more secure, I found it to be not as reliable as sharing via WiFi.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I just found a way to do it. It's called Feem. I uses WiFi direct to transfer files. I transferred a 20MB DNG file in just a few seconds.

The downside is that you need Feem on all of the devices for it to work. It costs $9.99, and looks kind of cheesy, but like I said, it works.

Feem - Wi-Fi File Transfers between Phones, Tablets and PCs.

Until Microsoft incorporates WiFi Direct in Windows 10 and Windows 10 Mobile, we are going to have to rely on 3rd party options.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss