Volume warning

mundyb

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I absolutely... HATE!! The volume warning that pops up when you are plugged into the headphone jack with the volume at 30. The fact that it automatically turns my volume down to 13 is maddening! And it does this at a seemingly random interval.

Does anybody know of any way to turn this super ridiculous "feature" off? It never fails that I'm listening to music, or a podcast, through my portable stereo plugged into the aux jack, and lets just say I was changing spark plugs in a Jeep (hypothetically speaking of course hehe) and I couldn't get to the phone to turn it back up and dismiss the nanny message... Sense my frustration? Even if I had a set of headphones plugged in, who is Nokia to tell me at what level I can have the volume set?

The 928 did this too, and I hope I'm just missing something here. Someone... Anyone...?

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
It isn't Nokia. It's Microsoft. And yes, it's crazy. It happens to me in the car, when playing podcasts while connected through Bluetooth to the stereo. I turn it all the way up so I can control volume through the stereo controls on the wheel. Yes, it's crazy.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if this is a Verizon issue. I just attached headphones, started playing Nokia Mix Radio+ and cranked the volume to 30. I don't get any popups.

Edit: I just tried a podcast and a song in Xbox Music at 30, and no popups there either.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
It doesn't happen right away. If you listen for a while, it does it seemingly at random. Not even every day. But when it happens it is frustrating, because for me, it happens while I'm driving.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
It doesn't happen right away. If you listen for a while, it does it seemingly at random. Not even every day. But when it happens it is frustrating, because for me, it happens while I'm driving.
I'll let you know. The podcast is playing, and it's over 2 hours long.

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Do headphones have to be plugged in for the pop up? I play Pandora all the time thru Bluetooth and never seen a popup, but not using headset. I do get the volume turn down to 13 tho every reboot.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Do headphones have to be plugged in for the pop up? I play Pandora all the time thru Bluetooth and never seen a popup, but not using headset. I do get the volume turn down to 13 tho every reboot.
I also get volume turned down to 13 upon reboot. My podcast has been going for an hour now, and no popup warnings about volume yet. Note: I won't actually hurt my ears. The headphones are plugged into the 920 and the podcast is playing, but the headphones are sitting on my desk, not in my ears--I already listened to this podcast previously at a lower volume.

kb4000

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
This happens to me on my 928 sometimes and I'm pretty sure it happened on my old Samsung Focus. For me it happens randomly probably once a month. Not enough to be a huge deal. Sadly I haven't figured out a way to turn it off or what causes it.

mundyb

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site

I had forgotten about it doing it on reboot. Hahaha. The Icon has the lowest speaker volume of any phone I've had in quite a while. They are worried about damaging our precious little ears with the terrible little speaker! Haha

I seriously hope they fix the low volume speaker with an update. When it's in my pocket I can barely hear the ringer if there is any noise around at all.

This happens to be my only complaint with this device. But it is pretty important to be able to hear the thing when it makes noise.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
No, you don't have to be using wired headphones. It happens to me while connected to BT in my car. I've also had it happen while using my LG Tone+ BT headphones, cutting the grass - you know, when you MAY want it all the way up (I turn the phone up and control volume with the headphones, as the buttons are right there and no need to pull out the phone).

I also get volume turned down to 13 upon reboot. My podcast has been going for an hour now, and no popup warnings about volume yet. Note: I won't actually hurt my ears. The headphones are plugged into the 920 and the podcast is playing, but the headphones are sitting on my desk, not in my ears--I already listened to this podcast previously at a lower volume.
It's always turned to 13 on reboot, at least since WP8. I don't recall what it did on WP7, but I'm thinking it wasn't 13. I'm thinking it was 20, but I could be wrong.

I wish I could tell you what causes it - in my case it always seems to be a random occurrence. I have found nothing correlating to it other than playing a podcast or music.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
No, you don't have to be using wired headphones. It happens to me while connected to BT in my car. I've also had it happen while using my LG Tone+ BT headphones, cutting the grass - you know, when you MAY want it all the way up (I turn the phone up and control volume with the headphones, as the buttons are right there and no need to pull out the phone).

It's always turned to 13 on reboot, at least since WP8. I don't recall what it did on WP7, but I'm thinking it wasn't 13. I'm thinking it was 20, but I could be wrong.

I wish I could tell you what causes it - in my case it always seems to be a random occurrence. I have found nothing correlating to it other than playing a podcast or music.

I just rebooted my 900. Volume was at 17.

Chrono803

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
It's a thoughtful feature, really. But at the same time, why would it need to pop up if I'm connected via Bluetooth? Headphones, I can understand, though.

Kage Maru

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
It happens at random. Happened with my 928 and still happens with my Icon. They should have it set so it pops up the first time, and only first time, you raise the volume to a certain level. It's annoying but it doesn't happen often enough for it to bother me. Maybe because I rarely turn up my volume past 22-24? Maybe it happens more often when putting the volume to 30.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

Just to clarify, the BT thing is a separate deal and is actually nice in my opinion. Let's say your volume is set to 15, then you get in your car and connect up to BT. You want to drop phat beats so you boost the volume to 30 in your car. When you get out though it will still be at 15 or whatever you had it to before connecting to BT. Believe it or not the BT is a separate volume control. Get back in your car and it will be back at 30 again.

Now apart from that, yes rebooting drops it back to 13 or so every time, by design. When plugging in headphones I don't know if that triggers a change every time, or if that's just random. I've had it randomly happen to me as well.

mundyb

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Speaking of this ^ are we actually getting separate volume controls for sure in 8.1?

Little OT for sure, but a little tangent from the OP can't hurt. Hehe

Still hating the auto volume though!!

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Just to clarify, the BT thing is a separate deal and is actually nice in my opinion. Let's say your volume is set to 15, then you get in your car and connect up to BT. You want to drop phat beats so you boost the volume to 30 in your car. When you get out though it will still be at 15 or whatever you had it to before connecting to BT. Believe it or not the BT is a separate volume control. Get back in your car and it will be back at 30 again.

Now apart from that, yes rebooting drops it back to 13 or so every time, by design. When plugging in headphones I don't know if that triggers a change every time, or if that's just random. I've had it randomly happen to me as well.

It changes to 13 upon reboot whether or not headphones are plugged in. I never reboot my device while using headphones, yet it's still at 13 once it reboots.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I pretty much said that. :p

Speaking of this ^ are we actually getting separate volume controls for sure in 8.1?

Little OT for sure, but a little tangent from the OP can't hurt. Hehe

Still hating the auto volume though!!

I think I recall seeing an actual picture of it, so that bodes well I'd say.

bayanii

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
It changes to 13 upon reboot whether or not headphones are plugged in. I never reboot my device while using headphones, yet it's still at 13 once it reboots.

I believe its set up that way in case you forget. Driving and not remembering that the volume is on full blasts can startle some people. Safety.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786