Greetings,

I am new to Windows Phone and have a few rookie questions. For a point of reference, I was a Android power user for several years (flashed ROMS, built my own etc)

1. Keep Screen Alive: Is there some way to keep the screen on when using the Xbox Music App, or the phone is charging? I have a dash mount and it is a pain to switch songs when driving because the screen keeps timing out.
    2. Speech to Text: I use the Speech to text for composing text messages. On Android, I could say:
    I am on the way home period do we need anything question mark and it would type
    I am on the way home. Do we need anything? Is there some way to insert punctuation in WP8 speech to text? When I try the same thing on WP, it just types the stream exactly as I spoke it.
    3. One Note Speed: I also use One Note fairly extensively. It seems to be very slow on my Windows Phone compared to the old Android. On Android, it seems like it put a local copy of everything on the phone and then updated after I opened a notebook. On WP, every time I open One Note, it takes forever to sync any notebook I open. IS there some way to store the notes off-line or speed-up the sync?
    4. LinkedIn app: On Android, when I received a LinkedIn email message and tapped the reply icon, it would launch the LinkedIn app. On WP, it always launches the browser even though I have the LinkedIn app installed. I then have to type in my login for LinkedIn on the browser every time. Is there some way to associate the LinkedIn message with the app?

Overall I really like the phone. It is just taking a bit to get used to it. Once the dust settles, I think I will really enjoy Windows Phone. So far, it has been much more stable than my Android (even with a stock ROM).

Thanks for any advice.

Doug M.
    03-18-2014 03:35 PM
    03-18-2014 03:59 PM
    For #2, you have to do a sentence at a time. Say your first sentence, wait for prompt, then say "add more." Continue until you have the whole thing said/typed.
    03-18-2014 04:12 PM
    Greetings,

I am new to Windows Phone and have a few rookie questions. For a point of reference, I was a Android power user for several years (flashed ROMS, built my own etc)

1. Keep Screen Alive: Is there some way to keep the screen on when using the Xbox Music App, or the phone is charging? I have a dash mount and it is a pain to switch songs when driving because the screen keeps timing out.
    2. Speech to Text: I use the Speech to text for composing text messages. On Android, I could say:
    I am on the way home period do we need anything question mark and it would type
    I am on the way home. Do we need anything? Is there some way to insert punctuation in WP8 speech to text? When I try the same thing on WP, it just types the stream exactly as I spoke it.
    3. One Note Speed: I also use One Note fairly extensively. It seems to be very slow on my Windows Phone compared to the old Android. On Android, it seems like it put a local copy of everything on the phone and then updated after I opened a notebook. On WP, every time I open One Note, it takes forever to sync any notebook I open. IS there some way to store the notes off-line or speed-up the sync?
    4. LinkedIn app: On Android, when I received a LinkedIn email message and tapped the reply icon, it would launch the LinkedIn app. On WP, it always launches the browser even though I have the LinkedIn app installed. I then have to type in my login for LinkedIn on the browser every time. Is there some way to associate the LinkedIn message with the app?

Overall I really like the phone. It is just taking a bit to get used to it. Once the dust settles, I think I will really enjoy Windows Phone. So far, it has been much more stable than my Android (even with a stock ROM).

Thanks for any advice.

Doug M.
    #1 there might be a setting in the Xbox Music app
    #2 should be fixed with 8.1 update
    #3 never tried it on any other platform
    #4 add your linkedIn email info in the email & account settings to have it pushed to your phone like your other email
    03-18-2014 10:44 PM