Icon Now - or wait for 8.1?

MazoMark

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I've been looking hard at Icon for several weeks now. I'd given WP a try about 8 months ago with a 920, but felt like there were too many compromises at that time. When Icon came out, I was immediately impressed by the screen, camera, and overall design. Plus I felt that the OS had come a long way with recent updates and 8.1 on the horizon.

So what's holding me back - I keep hearing there will be new "8.1 phones" coming soon after 8.1 is launched. I haven't seen any hard info on these mythical phones, and given the Icon just launched less than a month ago, I can't believe Verizon will launch another flagship Windows Phone anytime before fall.

So should I stop procrastinating and go get an Icon? Or does anyone think Verizon will be getting something to rival it before October?

8XSD

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
No point in waiting. U only live once. Plus the Icon will get 8.1 for sure.The phone itself is a beast. Use it for a day and u will never look back at any other phone out atm.

Kebero

May 26, 2011
Visit site
There are no real rumours of improved hardware for WP8.1 devices and all current WP8 phones will get the upgrade, so why pass up on the Icon?

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I would wait....well it depends on what you have, rumor is that MS will do a big push for 8.1 that means new phones would be soon to follow if we don't see them hit the FCC in a few weeks...

You could wait the month or so (//build where 8.1 will be announced), and see when 8.1 is released in the Dev version, then you will know if there is actually features that is missing due to buying a WP8 device.

Kebero

May 26, 2011
Visit site
If he has a device with WP8, it will be updatable. Also, like many if us here have already done, he can get the early release of OS builds directly from Microsoft. If anything, Microsoft is pushing the relaxed hardware specifications, not hardware improvements.

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm never satisfied but I am looking for the perfect device . I just bought my 1520 and already liking new hardware specs for wp8.1 phones .....qhd displays,on screen buttons , hopefully thell bring sum real multitasking for larger phones,3d touch etc . So yeah when new phones come out I'll be picking them up but I do feel as if when I do find my perfect device I'll stick with it!

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I've been looking hard at Icon for several weeks now. I'd given WP a try about 8 months ago with a 920, but felt like there were too many compromises at that time. When Icon came out, I was immediately impressed by the screen, camera, and overall design. Plus I felt that the OS had come a long way with recent updates and 8.1 on the horizon.

So what's holding me back - I keep hearing there will be new "8.1 phones" coming soon after 8.1 is launched. I haven't seen any hard info on these mythical phones, and given the Icon just launched less than a month ago, I can't believe Verizon will launch another flagship Windows Phone anytime before fall.

So should I stop procrastinating and go get an Icon? Or does anyone think Verizon will be getting something to rival it before October?

Verizon won't be getting a Nokia device to rival the Icon before the fall. They will get the Samsung Huron, which I guess, in terms of specs would be competitive with the Icon. But in terms of hardware quality and apps, not even close. If you have an upgrade up now, use it now. Don't let it sit on the bench, it only delays how much you can get out of your Verizon plan.

The Nokia Lumia Icon is INCREDIBLE. It's seriously my dream phone.

ret18057

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Wait. You can always pick on up in a few weeks if nothing tickles your fancy. Icon is good, not great. You're close enough to see what else is out there...

Kage Maru

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
If anything is announced it won't be until the April 19th event. IF anything is coming to Verizon, it's likely not to land until fall or winter. If you can wait that long, wait, but the Icon is one of the best Windows Phones (or phones in general IMO) out there now and I don't see that really changing anytime soon.

antonius138

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
I was just like you... a few months past my contract expiration and had been watching WPCentral closely with all the leaks etc and decided to pull the trigger after the screen on my Samsung Galaxy Nexus broke. I haven't regretted it one bit, the camera, screen and build quality are leaps and bounds above other devices out there. If you developer unlock your phone and install the preview for developers app you should get Windows 8.1 long before Verizon releases it.

Just sayin...

mpelti

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
wait. WP8 still lags quite a bit behind iOS and Android, and 8.1 is supposed to play quite a bit of catch up, but if it falls short, you'll want to re-evaluate your choice of platform.

meddyrainzo

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site

Build is less than 2 weeks away. And there is a rumored event happening just days after build where new Nokia devices would be announced. If you've waited this long for 8.1, I think you should just wait to the end so you won't have a regret thread sometime later when the GoldFinger is announced and you wished you waited for that and didn't rush to get the Icon

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I don't see Verizon getting another Nokia flagship before the fall. Honestly, I doubt that anything big (Nokia Lumia-wise) will come out for Verizon until late next Winter. I imagine that they'll start getting things together for a new phone in the fall and then release it around the same time as the Icon.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Nothing that comes out with WP 8.1 will be that much better hardware wise then the Icon. This bad boy is a beast, well designed, and as future proof as smartphones in this day and age get. Most of the time, I say wait and see. Usually no reason not to. But October is a long time to wait to see that the Icon holds it's own against whatever may or may not come out.

If everything you say in your thread starter is accurate as to being impressed with the Icon, no reason to wait. The only reason I would say is that you may want to hold off until the actual announcement of WP 8.1 seeings as how you were disappointed in WP with your last go to be sure that you will be happy with it this time.

But as an AT&T user allow me to say that Big Red has the device the vast majority of us want. If you are happy with WP8 and it's future, jump on in.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I say wait, it is not as if they will stop selling the Icon before Build etc. Not sure what your carrier is like, but in the UK, I was out of contract for 6 months while I wait until the 920 came out. I called my carrier and asked that they drop the monthly price, as I was out of contract. They immediately put me on a better quality plan for ?16pm. The UK operators all offer sim free deals, and they all offer significantly lower prices if you don't need a new phone from them. I waited until November 2012 and bagged the phone I craved. I would strongly advise anyone that they should always wait until after a big announcement, not 3 weeks before. Personally, I am wanting a 1020 replacement.

2tomtom

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
wait. WP8 still lags quite a bit behind iOS and Android, and 8.1 is supposed to play quite a bit of catch up, but if it falls short, you'll want to re-evaluate your choice of platform.

Yeah, WP lags ADroid in capturing all your personnel information and emails to sell to you. WP lags ADroid in security, not.

IOS does not support SD Cards, wireless charging, full dedicated camera button, 6 inch screens, 4K video recording, double tap to wake etc.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa