Glance via Fiddler

Sheikboy

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hi Guys,

Im thinking about ditching my HTC 8x and moving to the Icon, but I've read that it doesn't have Glance. Given that the screen does "technically" support it, has anyone tried to install it via the Fiddler technique?

Thanks guys!

​Sheik

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
you have icon , that's the proof ;)
also nokia stated this that icon does not support any of these 2 (glance and double tap ) or maybe something fishy there ??

How is that proof? Just because the Icon doesn't have Glance is NOT proof that it is a hardware issue. What "hardware" issue is the cause?

Show me the statement that Nokia made; the OFFICIAL statement.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
That's interesting. And makes no sense, there is something else that is causing the issue. I will wager it's the aspect ratio. All of the phones that are compatible all have the same aspect ratio. The phones listed as not compatible all have different aspect ratios. The 1520 which is supposedly compatible is having problems with Glance. So it seems all Nokia has to do is optimize the app to work with the different aspect ratios. Which makes it a software problem and complicated.

This is one of the reasons why Apple was reluctant to make a bigger iPhone; and when they did, they ensured that the iPhone 5, 5C, and 5S all have the exact same aspect ratio as previous models. Therefore Apple didn't have to optimize apps for a different aspect ratio.

This is problem that all tablets (except the Surface Pro) and phones have. Windows and Mac based PC's do not suffer this problem, because ALL monitors either have a 16:9 or 4:3 aspect ratio. Furthermore, desktop/laptop screens have circuitry built in that tells the OS it's maximum resolution and aspect ratio, and the OS adjusts accordingly and renders the image regardless of the application being used.

Phones and tablets don't have that circuitry (for space reasons) so the OS has to be manually optimized for each phone and tablet; and therefore when a manufacturer changes screen aspect ratio, has to customize the OS for that phone or tablet.

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I believe this is due to market tactics , this is all up to Verizon network to enable/disable glance screen , similarly what apple did with my iPad - I own an iPad 3 which has apple based A5X dual core chipset with 1gb ram and retina display , when ios 7 came in beta version it has all the transparent effects which made ios 7 feel , looks different , but in the final beta 5 they removed all the effects and made it look ugly, grey-black, now lets compare with this iPad 2 same A% chip (iPad 3 does have A5 chip but the X means it has quad core graphics meaning more powerful than iPad 2 ) and iPad 2 have 512 MB ram , making iPad 3 more powerful , iPad 2 did get all the effects in beta but were removed in final build , iPad 4 which is newer model get all these effects , now lastly iPhone 4s , which has the same A5 chip (found on iPad 2 and iPad 3 ) with 512 MB ram get all the effects are transparency of ios 7 :0 , shame , ipad mini 1st gen have the same specs of iPad 2 but it got all the features of ios 7 including airdrop which was exclusive to newer models

now what I did in ios 7.0.4 , I installed cydia on it via evasi()n tool , with some tweaks I got all the effects of ios 7 including air drop which they said will not work on older devices due to hardware.

Verizon is doing the same , they still want to sell Lumia 928

primortal

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Why do you believe it's a Verizon decision to in/exclude Glance? Of all the features of the phone why would Verizon pick Glance to disable? It's not something that is installed out of the box and users have to specifically know about the feature and download/install the app.

Joel S79

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
Verizon is doing the same , they still want to sell Lumia 928

This is bovine feces, and silly. The Icon is a flagship device for Verizon, they wouldn't pull features to sell a weaker device. Get real.

FYI, to all the people still making this stupid claim, VZW subsidizes the hell out of the phones (as do most carriers) in exchange for you signing a contract. The contract you sign is more important than the device you choose. The only reason they'll steer you to a device is to get a smartphone plan, which gets them more money. There is absolutely 0 benefit to Verizon for them to pull a feature like Glance from ONE device, other than pissing people off.

That's interesting. And makes no sense, there is something else that is causing the issue. I will wager it's the aspect ratio. All of the phones that are compatible all have the same aspect ratio. The phones listed as not compatible all have different aspect ratios. The 1520 which is supposedly compatible is having problems with Glance. So it seems all Nokia has to do is optimize the app to work with the different aspect ratios. Which makes it a software problem and complicated.

MS dictates the aspect ratio based on the resolutions they support, so as long as the panel supports one of the accepted resolutions, the AR will be fine.

The problem most likely revolves around the panel and either memory or power demands when the phone is sleeping. Glance has been updated to "Work with Windows Phone 8.1", but there hasn't been much evidence of anything changing substantially for them to need to make that kind of update. I wouldn't be surprised if Nokia "Blue" includes Glance support for the Icon due to a tweak in the OS and how it handles tasks while the phone is sleeping.

We'll find out in a week. If the 930 is indeed the same as the Icon, only for the rest of the world, Nokia and MS WILL make it work.

Last edited:

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Hmmm... I'm still not quite sold on that yet...I'm not disregarding it either. In either case, it's really a software issue, meaning that Glance has to be optimized to run efficiently on the Icon and other handsets. That is why Apple has an advantage over both Android and WP. They only have to support essentially one type of handset, where as Microsoft and Google have to be able to support multiple models from multiple makers. From a logistical point of view, that can be rather complicated.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Why do you believe it's a Verizon decision to in/exclude Glance? Of all the features of the phone why would Verizon pick Glance to disable? It's not something that is installed out of the box and users have to specifically know about the feature and download/install the app.

I agree. It's not VZW blocking Glance. It's Nokia and/or MSFT for handset performance issues. The 1520 has Glance. After a firmware update, people are starting to complain that the Glance on their 1520s is acting wonky (my term not theirs).

Actually, Glance came with the Nokia's Black update for the 928. Anybody who gets a brand new 928 from VZW will get the Black update with Glance included. It just won't be in the user manual, because they don't update those every time a software update comes out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mducros