Scheduled Shut Down

xboxonthego3

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
I don't think there is a current option to schedule a Windows phone 8 device to shutdown. You will have to do so yourself. Maybe it will come with 8.1? But not currently with 8.

David Fleetwood

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for telling me what I need. So the answer to my question is that it's not a supported feature.

One thing I learned in quality assurance is that the answer the customer is seeking is not always the answer to the question they are asking. Which is why people ask clarifying questions as they did here. You pointed out that you needed to minimize battery usage during certain hours. The answer was that vampire power loss is not a real issue with the Icon as it can be with other phones. That was an adequate answer, although pointing out that its not supported is the information you felt you were seeking.

Jason Dubreuil

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
"You won't need that. My Icon sits all night (7 hours) and goes from 100% to 98-96%."

I get your point about quality assurance, and I apologize for being short within this thread. The response above which wasn't a followup question just struck me the wrong way after a long day. Thanks for all the quick responses.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
"You won't need that. My Icon sits all night (7 hours) and goes from 100% to 98-96%."

I get your point about quality assurance, and I apologize for being short within this thread. The response above which wasn't a followup question just struck me the wrong way after a long day. Thanks for all the quick responses.

I asked the question and told you that scheduled power downs weren't possible in wp8's in my first post. It wasn't until my second post, after you'd answered my question, that I told you that I haven't experienced any problems with my phone idling over night and that I wouldn't think that you would either.

And then you snapped. I'll accept your apology, though. Cheers.

David Fleetwood

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

I think you response was reasonable in that you asked a direct question and wanted a direct answer. I think others tried to answer the concern rather than the question, which is a valid response.

All that said though, personally I recommend acquiring a couple of the Nokia DT-910 charging stands. Honestly those have made power concerns a non issue for me One is next to my bed, one is on my desk at work. My phone is virtually always topped off now. (I also have added a Qi dock in my Jeep and another stand on my desk at home). The phone isn't terribly power hungry, but I'm so rarely at 30% or lower power now that the anxiety it used to cause me is simply gone.

At any rate, people are a bit snappy because phones right now are a sensitive topic for a lot of people, and being attached to an 'underdog' platform has its own concerns especially when you feel others are just looking for an easy reason to disqualify even trying your favored platform. That said, everyone is still being reasonably civil.

Thus ends my dissertation on this topic. ;)

XwpisONOMA

Jul 25, 2014
Visit site
One thing I learned in quality assurance is that the answer the customer is seeking is not always the answer to the question they are asking. Which is why people ask clarifying questions as they did here. You pointed out that you needed to minimize battery usage during certain hours. The answer was that vampire power loss is not a real issue with the Icon as it can be with other phones. That was an adequate answer, although pointing out that its not supported is the information you felt you were seeking.
--
You talk way too much without really saying anything important at all. He asked a legit question. He was not seeking the information you think he was seeking. He simply wants to find out if there is an option (app?) to schedule power on/off for his phone. Actually, I 'd go a step further and say that a serious OS should have that built-in to control/schedule certain features of the phone. How difficult is that to understand. Where did you work as QC, that's a joke! BTW, the response he got was rude, not the way he responded to it.

XwpisONOMA

Jul 25, 2014
Visit site
You won't need that. My Icon sits all night (7 hours) and goes from 100% to 98-96%.

--

How can you say that ? He is asking about his phone based on his own experience and you're replying based on what YOUR phone does? Are you for real? It is a legitimate request for SOME phones with poor battery life performance to say that. Plus there are some Nokias that when at almost 0% battery they do not boot just go in a loop until battery reaches about 1-2%. BTW, I'd love an app that would allow me to schedule (on/off) various features on my phone not only power.

David Fleetwood

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
--
You talk way too much without really saying anything important at all. He asked a legit question. He was not seeking the information you think he was seeking. He simply wants to find out if there is an option (app?) to schedule power on/off for his phone. Actually, I 'd go a step further and say that a serious OS should have that built-in to control/schedule certain features of the phone. How difficult is that to understand. Where did you work as QC, that's a joke! BTW, the response he got was rude, not the way he responded to it.

Understanding the desired outcome is far superior to simply answering a question that may be misguided. Sorry you don't like my answer, but that's ok, it was not directed at you.

Kasey Pierce

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
Agreed. My Android phone would go from 100% to 85% at night. My Icon, even on 8.1 Update 1 goes from 100% to 99% maybe 98 when i'm too lazy or miss my wireless charger. It's fantastic

Kasey Pierce

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
I think you response was reasonable in that you asked a direct question and wanted a direct answer. I think others tried to answer the concern rather than the question, which is a valid response.

All that said though, personally I recommend acquiring a couple of the Nokia DT-910 charging stands. Honestly those have made power concerns a non issue for me One is next to my bed, one is on my desk at work. My phone is virtually always topped off now. (I also have added a Qi dock in my Jeep and another stand on my desk at home). The phone isn't terribly power hungry, but I'm so rarely at 30% or lower power now that the anxiety it used to cause me is simply gone.

At any rate, people are a bit snappy because phones right now are a sensitive topic for a lot of people, and being attached to an 'underdog' platform has its own concerns especially when you feel others are just looking for an easy reason to disqualify even trying your favored platform. That said, everyone is still being reasonably civil.

Thus ends my dissertation on this topic. ;)

Where did you get the dock for your Jeep? I find it funny that when Qi charging first came out, companies charged upwards of 65-100 dollars for them, now they are less than half that (even as low as 5-10 dollars on eBay)...yet car Qi chargers (that's fun to say) are still in the 40-60 dollar range.I know they are worth it because when you have Qi wireless charger+Bluetooth radio= the future, I would still like to find something in the 20 dollar price range.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Where did you get the dock for your Jeep? I find it funny that when Qi charging first came out, companies charged upwards of 65-100 dollars for them, now they are less than half that (even as low as 5-10 dollars on eBay)...yet car Qi chargers (that's fun to say) are still in the 40-60 dollar range.I know they are worth it because when you have Qi wireless charger+Bluetooth radio= the future, I would still like to find something in the 20 dollar price range.

There are a couple out there. I use the CR-200 updated (aka CR-201) and it works fine with the Icon without a case. This is the only one I've found in the $20 range:

Edit: Amazon has a used one for $22, otherwise it is $42.

Amazon.com: Tronsmart C3C Qi Wireless Car Charger Dock Wide Charging Area for Nexus 5, Nexus 4, Nokia Lumia 920, MOTO Droid Mini, HTC Droid DNA, HTC Rzound, Blackberry Z30, Pentax ,Samsung, Google, LG, HTC and Other Qi-Enabled Phones and Tablets: Cel

I like the CR-200 updated because it has built in NFC and it opens the Nokia Car App by tapping it. It also attaches to most any type of dash, even textured dashes.

David Fleetwood

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Amazon.com: Jumbl Qi Wireless Car Charging Kit and Phone Stand - Universal orienting Windshield / Dashboard or Air Vent Mount, Also Serves as a Phone Stand - Includes Qi-Enabled Transmitter and Samsung Galaxy Receiving Tag: Cell Phones & Accessories
I used that one although there may be better options by now. I feel it was well worth it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon