If you charge your Icon on a Qi plate with a case on the phone your battery may be charging slower and not to max capacity.....MAYBE

I was not all jazzed up about wireless charging at first. I heard you had to put a special case or sleeve on the phone and I didn't see how that was more convenient than plugging it in. So then I find out the Icon doesn't need that sleeve and the Microsoft Store is giving away a free charger. Now I'm all about Qi Charging. Then I wonder...do I have to take my phone case off to charge it? It turns out I don't so now I'm super happy. That's what I call convenient. Plop the phone down and pick it up with no hassle at all.

Here is where it gets interesting. The instructions that came with the charger says that the little white light on the charger would go off when the phone was fully charged. The white light on my charger never goes off. The phone will lay on the Nokia charging pad by my bed all night long and the little white light is sill on in the morning but the battery indicator on the phone looks like a full charge. But, I think, I have noticed varying degrees of battery life from one day to the next. Not terrible battery life, just inconsistent.
    Last night I had the phone on the supplied usb wall charger before bed and it was pretty much fully charged when I put it on the Qi pad. This morning... the little white light was out. I used the phone "normally" today and have a little below half charge at 6:30 pm. So, who knows. This stuff is so subjective.

Tonight I'll charge with the cover off and see about that white light tomorrow morning. Then I'll try it with the cover again. I'll let you know if I figure anything out for sure.

Does anyone have any insight into this phenomena? Could have different results with different cases too, I think. I've got a Puregear holster combo. Kind of hard-ish plastic. Oh, it has a kickstand too and I just notice it has a small metal hinge pin at the pivot. Metal will screw with an inductive field. Hmmmmm.

Well, it only figures that charging with a case on the phone would have some effect I guess. The question is how much of an effect. If you are doing this and don't like your battery life it is worth investigating.
    03-26-2014 06:05 PM
    Just charge it with a cable, much better and sure ;)
    03-26-2014 06:10 PM
    Just charge it with a cable, much better and sure ;)
    It could come to that. But I'm putting this out there because some folks may be getting less than optimum battery life and not be aware that this may be a problem.
    03-26-2014 06:39 PM
    I have a 928 and I "believe" the white light goes out on my charging plate. As far as the cable; it is much better on the charging port if you are not constantly plugging into it. You undoubtedly will charge it via your car charger from time to time, so that cannot be avoided. So, no, using a cord is not better.
    03-26-2014 06:43 PM
    I have a 920 and the light indicator does not go out when its fully charged. It used to turn off before when I had an 820, but it doesn't just turn off, it also keeps the phone aware that it's still charging.
    03-26-2014 07:06 PM
    When i wake up and look at my charging plate, i see the white light blinking.

The only weird thing i have noticed is when on the plate if i try to do anything on the touchscreen it will freak out and jump around, the touch input not the phone itself.
    03-26-2014 10:58 PM
    When i wake up and look at my charging plate, i see the white light blinking.

The only weird thing i have noticed is when on the plate if i try to do anything on the touchscreen it will freak out and jump around, the touch input not the phone itself.
    According to the manual "Blinking Quickly" is supposed to mean there is a charging problem. I haven't seen the screen jump around like you are saying either. That is weird. You might have a hardware issue there. Does it seems to be taking a full charge? Lasts all day?
    03-26-2014 11:14 PM
    If you charge your Icon on a Qi plate with a case on the phone your battery may be charging slower and not to max capacity.....MAYBE

I was not all jazzed up about wireless charging at first. I heard you had to put a special case or sleeve on the phone and I didn't see how that was more convenient than plugging it in. So then I find out the Icon doesn't need that sleeve and the Microsoft Store is giving away a free charger. Now I'm all about Qi Charging. Then I wonder...do I have to take my phone case off to charge it? It turns out I don't so now I'm super happy. That's what I call convenient. Plop the phone down and pick it up with no hassle at all.

Here is where it gets interesting. The instructions that came with the charger says that the little white light on the charger would go off when the phone was fully charged. The white light on my charger never goes off. The phone will lay on the Nokia charging pad by my bed all night long and the little white light is sill on in the morning but the battery indicator on the phone looks like a full charge. But, I think, I have noticed varying degrees of battery life from one day to the next. Not terrible battery life, just inconsistent.
    Last night I had the phone on the supplied usb wall charger before bed and it was pretty much fully charged when I put it on the Qi pad. This morning... the little white light was out. I used the phone "normally" today and have a little below half charge at 6:30 pm. So, who knows. This stuff is so subjective.

Tonight I'll charge with the cover off and see about that white light tomorrow morning. Then I'll try it with the cover again. I'll let you know if I figure anything out for sure.

Does anyone have any insight into this phenomena? Could have different results with different cases too, I think. I've got a Puregear holster combo. Kind of hard-ish plastic. Oh, it has a kickstand too and I just notice it has a small metal hinge pin at the pivot. Metal will screw with an inductive field. Hmmmmm.

Well, it only figures that charging with a case on the phone would have some effect I guess. The question is how much of an effect. If you are doing this and don't like your battery life it is worth investigating.
    Unless there is metal (ferrous in particular) in the case, it shouldn't matter with Qi charging. The plate does not actually transmit electricity. I uses magnetic inductive transmission technology. Kind of similar to inductive cooking. The only thing the plate produces is a magnetic field that interacts with a coil system in the phone. The electricity is actually produced in the phone itself. Essentially, the phone has two charging systems, versus one system of non-wireless charging devices.

What is Wireless Battery Charging | Inductive Technology | Tutorial

There could be a couple different issues. One, the thickness of the case MAY be a factor. However, Qi charging can happen up to 4cm away from the plate depending on the strength of the magnetic field produced. The further away from the plate the coils in the phone are, the less electricity they well produce. Something about inverse squares and such. I'm not up on the math side of all this. Another may be that there are some background apps sucking up juice which causes the phone to continually think it needs a charge. And finally, the most unlikely, and most undesirable (and problematic), either the phone is defective, the plate is defective, or both are defective.
    MazoMark and Garrymp like this.
    03-26-2014 11:49 PM
    Unless there is metal (ferrous in particular) in the case, it shouldn't matter with Qi charging. The plate does not actually transmit electricity. I uses magnetic inductive transmission technology. Kind of similar to inductive cooking. The only thing the plate produces is a magnetic field that interacts with a coil system in the phone. The electricity is actually produced in the phone itself. Essentially, the phone has two charging systems, versus one system of non-wireless charging devices.

What is Wireless Battery Charging | Inductive Technology | Tutorial

There could be a couple different issues. One, the thickness of the case MAY be a factor. However, Qi charging can happen up to 4cm away from the plate depending on the strength of the magnetic field produced. The further away from the plate the coils in the phone are, the less electricity they well produce. Something about inverse squares and such. I'm not up on the math side of all this. Another may be that there are some background apps sucking up juice which causes the phone to continually think it needs a charge. And finally, the most unlikely, and most undesirable (and problematic), either the phone is defective, the plate is defective, or both are defective.
    Good points. I understand how inductive charging works in principle. It's your point about the thickness of the case that I am pondering. You know if you are holding a weak magnet in your hand it will pickup some paperclips. If you put a thin piece of cardboard between the magnet and the paper clips it will pick up fewer paperclips. A thicker cardboard or a piece of wood...probably no paperclips. Sure it's all a function of how strong the magnetic field is, the objects distance from the field, the thickness and density of the obstruction. I don't possess that math either and I don't know just how strong the field is that is being produced by the charging plate. That's the point of my exercise in the end is just to insure optimum charging and answer the mystery of the charging light.

So I charged the phone naked on the Qi plate last night. No case. When I woke up this morning the charging light was off. I take that to indicate a full charge. Battery topped off. After wandering around a little in my typical morning stupor, I glanced at the phone/charger and the charging light had come on. I looked back again after a minute or two and it had gone back off. I take this to mean that either the phone or charger was checking the state of the charge and/or topping off the battery OR those possible background apps you mentioned were chewing away at the battery and it needed a top off. Either way it gives me some confidence that the phone and charger are functioning perfectly without the case on the phone.
    03-27-2014 06:57 AM
    Good points. I understand how inductive charging works in principle. It's your point about the thickness of the case that I am pondering. You know if you are holding a weak magnet in your hand it will pickup some paperclips. If you put a thin piece of cardboard between the magnet and the paper clips it will pick up fewer paperclips. A thicker cardboard or a piece of wood...probably no paperclips. Sure it's all a function of how strong the magnetic field is, the objects distance from the field, the thickness and density of the obstruction. I don't possess that math either and I don't know just how strong the field is that is being produced by the charging plate. That's the point of my exercise in the end is just to insure optimum charging and answer the mystery of the charging light.

So I charged the phone naked on the Qi plate last night. No case. When I woke up this morning the charging light was off. I take that to indicate a full charge. Battery topped off. After wandering around a little in my typical morning stupor, I glanced at the phone/charger and the charging light had come on. I looked back again after a minute or two and it had gone back off. I take this to mean that either the phone or charger was checking the state of the charge and/or topping off the battery OR those possible background apps you mentioned were chewing away at the battery and it needed a top off. Either way it gives me some confidence that the phone and charger are functioning perfectly without the case on the phone.
    I'm not sure if the Icon does this or not, but possibly it's topping the phone off then stopping charge (as it doesn't make sense to charge a fully powered battery and could potentially shorten the lifespan of if), then when the battery isn't quite full, it starts charging again.

This is just conjecture, but I wouldn't be surprised if this is the case (no pun intended ).
    Garrymp likes this.
    03-27-2014 08:08 AM
    I'm not sure if the Icon does this or not, but possibly it's topping the phone off then stopping charge (as it doesn't make sense to charge a fully powered battery and could potentially shorten the lifespan of if), then when the battery isn't quite full, it starts charging again.

This is just conjecture, but I wouldn't be surprised if this is the case (no pun intended ).
    That's exactly what is happening. The Icon stops charging when it recognizes that the battery is full. After a short while, the battery drains enough that the phone recognizes it needs to charge and begins charging again.

Unfortunately, each time the phone starts or stops charging, this change of state is accompanied by an audible chime. I don't usually hear it, but my wife assures me that it can wake her up.

I have my QI charger in my office, where I can make the most use of a quick top off. The Icon battery is undersized for heavy use, so this really helps me to make it through the day.

At home overnight I use the charging cable. I am not constantly plugging and unplugging it, so it makes the most sense for me. Also, I can use the phone while it is plugged into the cable, so I can check and respond to emails without draining the battery. This gets me out of the house with closer to 90% battery instead of 70%.

For me, using the cable at home is worth the wear and tear on the charging port. Also, the Icon is a well-built phone. I feel comfortable that the port can handle thousands of charges without an issue, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend using the cable for overnight charging.
    Garrymp likes this.
    03-30-2014 11:27 AM
    I have convinced myself that Qi charging works better without the case on the phone. Your results may vary.

When I place the Icon on the Qi charger at night WITHOUT the case the charging light (on the charging pad) is OFF in the morning telling me that the phone's battery is topped of to the maximum charge.

When I place the Icon on the Qi charger at night WITH the case on it the charging light is still ON in the morning even thought the battery indicator shows fully charged. I can remove the case and put the phone back on the charging plate and it will continue to charge - 5, 10, 15 minutes.

My interpretation is this: I know that a car battery (which I know more about than these things) can read 12-13 volts (good) on a meter but still not have the cranking amperage to turn the engine over (if the battery is old, defective OR the alternator is not putting out an adequate charge.
    I believe that the case on the phone is interfering with the inductive output of the charging plate and the phone is receiving a weakened magnetic field. The battery is charging but it is not getting a "deep" charge. So the battery's performance suffers over the course of the day. I have also convinced myself that my battery holds a charge and has more left at the end of the day when I remove the cover at night before placing the phone on the charging plate. I'll still sit the Icon on my desk charger with the cover on but at night the cover comes off. I want a max charge in the morning. (Actually, I haven't needed my desk charger much.)

OK. I'm done with this thread. It may be a lot of crap with no basis in reality but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
    04-01-2014 12:05 PM
    I use my 820 with a cheap flip leather case. With the standard Nokia QI charger it charges easily and quickly to full with the case folded back so a double layer of thin "leather" between the back and the charger. Same on my desk stand charger. But on my bedside charger / clock / Bluetooth speaker it only charges if I do not have the flap folded back and so only single layer in between. Conclusion: All QI chargers are not created equal.
    04-02-2014 03:30 AM
    My husband and I are thinking of switching to Verizon since AT&T has decided to go with PMA Wireless charging. I love setting my phone on plate and leaving it. I started a petition so maybe they will change their mind.

http://www.change.org/petitions/at-t...eless-charging
    04-03-2014 08:05 PM
    According to the manual "Blinking Quickly" is supposed to mean there is a charging problem. I haven't seen the screen jump around like you are saying either. That is weird. You might have a hardware issue there. Does it seems to be taking a full charge? Lasts all day?
    I have been getting a good charge enough to last me well over 17 hours on moderate use. Lately it has been lower but i recently installed nokia's fitness tracker and it keeps track of my steps
    Garrymp likes this.
    04-03-2014 11:36 PM