On day 10 with the icon and...

MajBurke

Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
I'm a tad frustrated. Now before going into detail on what else bothered me and what i was originally writing 15 minutes ago Im going to explain a very frustrating issue i just had with IE.

So I'm sitting down waiting for my wife to get out of her Doctors appointment and I'm writing the thread on my icon. Everything is working great. Wife gets out of the appointment mid post and I figure i'll finish it when i get home. Turn the screen off and drive home. When i go back to my post that i was previously writing in the keyboard will not stay open for me to continue what i was writing. opens up and immediately closes back down. I then moved to my computer to finish this post...

I have been having some issues that I can't seem to pinpoint that are driving me nuts. To start off is with the GPS/Here maps and drive. Between the actual app being clunky and giving you last minute directions. I've missed countless turns due to the arrow just straight up freezing on the map and refreshing after I have missed the turn. I tried waze and seem to have similar clunky issues. Also Here maps and Bing never really work together. I guess they suspect if i put anything into Here Maps I have an exact address because it cannot find anything based on the name of store or company. I see that there is a Google Maps app in the store but don't really know if i can trust it since it is done by a company that isn't even google...

Battery Life has been sub par. Surfing the web for about 20 min. Not even constantly opening new tabs, just reading articles brought me down 25%. This is also after i went by the battery guide on the forums about extending the life of the phone. Its just rather disappointing.

Heat Issues: Now whenever it came to heat issues I understand doing things like gaming, streaming videos, and the camera can make the processor get going and heat up some. But during that 20 minutes of strictly web surfing the bottom right corner was getting hot enough to feel through the otterbox. I'm not sure if this is a hardware issue or not but its kind of concerning when i think about the processor possibly burning itself out and causing my WP experience to worsen.

Reboots: So far I have had 3 known reboots. One was after sending pictures via text and the other two was while the phone was sitting on the table screen off, no apps running, just sitting there. Im concerned as the phone ages things like this will happen more often and get worse.

Other than these issues the phone runs very smoothly. I really enjoy the WP OS and i feel 8.1 will make everything even better. All of these things coming together are making me iffy on keeping this phone though. I have 4 more days left to choose to switch to a completely different phone. Ive dealt with a horrible razr maxx for the past year and a half with poor battery life, locking up constantly and excessive hardware issues. I choose this phone to get away from that. Something clean, simple and strong.

If anyone has some advice on the situations I am dealing with i would greatly appreciate it.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm a tad frustrated. Now before going into detail on what else bothered me and what i was originally writing 15 minutes ago Im going to explain a very frustrating issue i just had with IE.

So I'm sitting down waiting for my wife to get out of her Doctors appointment and I'm writing the thread on my icon. Everything is working great. Wife gets out of the appointment mid post and I figure i'll finish it when i get home. Turn the screen off and drive home. When i go back to my post that i was previously writing in the keyboard will not stay open for me to continue what i was writing. opens up and immediately closes back down. I then moved to my computer to finish this post...

I have been having some issues that I can't seem to pinpoint that are driving me nuts. To start off is with the GPS/Here maps and drive. Between the actual app being clunky and giving you last minute directions. I've missed countless turns due to the arrow just straight up freezing on the map and refreshing after I have missed the turn. I tried waze and seem to have similar clunky issues. Also Here maps and Bing never really work together. I guess they suspect if i put anything into Here Maps I have an exact address because it cannot find anything based on the name of store or company. I see that there is a Google Maps app in the store but don't really know if i can trust it since it is done by a company that isn't even google...

Battery Life has been sub par. Surfing the web for about 20 min. Not even constantly opening new tabs, just reading articles brought me down 25%. This is also after i went by the battery guide on the forums about extending the life of the phone. Its just rather disappointing.

Heat Issues: Now whenever it came to heat issues I understand doing things like gaming, streaming videos, and the camera can make the processor get going and heat up some. But during that 20 minutes of strictly web surfing the bottom right corner was getting hot enough to feel through the otterbox. I'm not sure if this is a hardware issue or not but its kind of concerning when i think about the processor possibly burning itself out and causing my WP experience to worsen.

Reboots: So far I have had 3 known reboots. One was after sending pictures via text and the other two was while the phone was sitting on the table screen off, no apps running, just sitting there. Im concerned as the phone ages things like this will happen more often and get worse.

Other than these issues the phone runs very smoothly. I really enjoy the WP OS and i feel 8.1 will make everything even better. All of these things coming together are making me iffy on keeping this phone though. I have 4 more days left to choose to switch to a completely different phone. Ive dealt with a horrible razr maxx for the past year and a half with poor battery life, locking up constantly and excessive hardware issues. I choose this phone to get away from that. Something clean, simple and strong.

If anyone has some advice on the situations I am dealing with i would greatly appreciate it.

Your issues with the maps app is what is one of few issues that makes stop in getting a windows phone. They really need to do something about turn by turn navigation for this platform. Or at least let a developer make a Google Maps app. I use Google Maps a lot on my Moto X.

Sent from my XT1060 using Mobile Nations mobile app

MajBurke

Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
Well there supposedly is a "Google Maps" app. But its made by Clarity? I have never heard of them and have no idea whether i can really count it as google maps. At the same time im pretty sure the closest we will get to Google Maps is Waze since from what I hear Google will more than likely not make anything for the WP platform

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Well there supposedly is a "Google Maps" app. But its made by Clarity? I have never heard of them and have no idea whether i can really count it as google maps. At the same time im pretty sure the closest we will get to Google Maps is Waze since from what I hear Google will more than likely not make anything for the WP platform

The Google maps app by clarity is just a web wrapper I believe. Its probably using data from the Google Maps mobile website and won't support turn by turn directions. But you can certainly use it for directions and that's it.

fredd

Feb 15, 2008
Visit site

I am not having any of the isues you described. Ive had mine for about 5 weeks now and its working great.

MajBurke

Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
I am not having any of the isues you described. Ive had mine for about 5 weeks now and its working great.

If thats the case I wonder if i should try to get a New replacement? Im arguing with myself on either waiting for 8.1 or going to the HTC One (M8). But this camera on the icon has just spoiled me soo much haha

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
If thats the case I wonder if i should try to get a New replacement? Im arguing with myself on either waiting for 8.1 or going to the HTC One (M8). But this camera on the icon has just spoiled me soo much haha

If its been 10 days you better decide soon before that 14 day window passes.

MajBurke

Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
If its been 10 days you better decide soon before that 14 day window passes.

Yea I know. Im making this thread to help myself decide on which direction to go.

And with Here Maps is the Turn by turn navigation with Here Drive choppy? Because thats how I feel whenever Im looking at it trying to decide whether im turning or if its the very next street...

mtalinm

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
If you don't love the camera, I would take it back. I kept mine only because the of the camera. Other than that I would prefer the 928, which did not have the overheating issue. This thing gets crazy hot during navigation or watching videos. ick.

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I havent had any issues with battery drain - I go an entire day with moderate - heavy use. Start the day at 7am - through the course of the day, I streaming music for 1-2 hours, and read news on Weave, and play a game or 2 for 5-10 mins each, and I go to bed around midnight with 25-30% battery left. I havent had a single reboot. The one issue ive had, is when connected to WIFI for a long time, sometimes (this doesnt happen every time so maybe its not the reason) when I leave my office, my phone cannot find a 4G signal. I turn the phone off, and back on and its fine. It takes all of 1 minute, and has happened 2-3 times since launch day. Hardly close to the issues i used to have with my android phones in the past.

I have been using Here maps since I got the phone - it is faster, and I find the navigation much better than Google's offering on Android or IOS - i have used turn by turn a few times, and it hasnt been slow in any way. My only gripes with HERE are as follows (and these may or not be correct, since ive only used it about 10 times since i got the phone):
- UI: finding route options is somewhat difficult, there should be a easy way to see other options - maybe a highlighted map where you can select the way you want to go. I live in NYC, and the fastest way someplace is usually not the least distance traveled. I appreciate the options to avoid tolls, and highways, etc. But when I ask for directions someplace, it should calculate a few routes for me, and highlight them on a map, and let me decide which way I want to go.

california86

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
I've had nothing but great experience with the HERE maps... I havent used it on my ICON yet, but on my 928 it was flawless.

I'm actively looking for an alternative to Here Drive+. I do a lot of driving for work as well as necessity due to the layout of the region I live in. When using Here Drive+, I have my phone plugged in, but the app drains the battery faster than it can charge. Maybe I'm jaded since I came from Google Maps on the iPhone, but issues such as not having alternate routes to choose from, relatively lengthy rerouting times, and the sparing use of street names for voice navigation are a big deal for me.

MajBurke

Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
I have a feeling I may just look to a replacement then. I feel like this may be a hardware issue im dealing with GPS wise. Also just a camera question. Even when the flash is turned off if i try to use the auto focus by tapping the screen the flash turns on for the focus but not the actual taking of the picture. Is this normal?

kwright62

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
What is the maximum watts we can charge with? I've seen several car chargers with less than 2 volts and bought several when 3.1 volts output was available.

california86

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
I have a feeling I may just look to a replacement then. I feel like this may be a hardware issue im dealing with GPS wise. Also just a camera question. Even when the flash is turned off if i try to use the auto focus by tapping the screen the flash turns on for the focus but not the actual taking of the picture. Is this normal?

That's the focus assist light, which helps the camera focus better in low-light situations. You can turn that off by going into your camera application > Settings > Focus assist light. I have mine set to "set by flash" so it's only enabled when the flash is turned on.

mtalinm

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
I have that annoying kb issue. Popping up then down and basically unusable. However, it is only on this forum that this occurs. I solved the issue by buying the app for the site.(.99cents) They maybe sell more apps this way. Since its only happening here..... well?:shocked:
The rest of the OP's issues I've never experienced. My icon runs very cool all the time, but I don t game with it either. Battery usually goes all day. I find I occasionally have to plug in late afternoon for a quick 20min power boost to see me thru. Its been a great phone. To the OP, id consider returning it before your window closes on that option.

Kage Maru

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Do you have the maps downloaded locally? I haven't had any of these issues of last minute or late directions. Different areas may get different experiences maybe?

Something also seems wrong if you're burning through a quarter of your battery in 20 minutes by just browsing the web. I read plenty on the net and still get around a day out of my phone.

If you have a few days left, I would replace the phone and see if you have a better experience in th next couple days.

MF-Karma

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
The fact that your phone gets hot while web browsing seems to indicate a problem. Mine doesn't even get warm while web browsing unless I am watching a lot of online videos. The only time my Icon gets hot is while playing certain games, which also happen to drain the battery very fast. Normally my battery easily lasts all day but with the "hot" games I get a couple of hours at most, so I think its the game. I would exchange it before your 14 days is up.

anon6002755

May 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm actively looking for an alternative to Here Drive+. I do a lot of driving for work as well as necessity due to the layout of the region I live in. When using Here Drive+, I have my phone plugged in, but the app drains the battery faster than it can charge. Maybe I'm jaded since I came from Google Maps on the iPhone, but issues such as not having alternate routes to choose from, relatively lengthy rerouting times, and the sparing use of street names for voice navigation are a big deal for me.

Ive been using this charger and i never have an issuekeeping my battery full and even gaining power while using maps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos