Double tap to wake.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Uhh, every time... Oh well, maybe Double Tab to Wake (and Glance) will be available for my Icon once WP8.1 is available.

Good find on the video and information.

Double Tap will. Glance won't. There's some problem with the type of screen used in the 929/930. Nokia is trying to figure out a way around the limitation but nothing yet.
Daniel wrote an article about it.

CageJ

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Actually Nokia is pretty liberal with the licensing of the patent for double tap. LG has it, Sony has it, HTC now has it, even Jolla has it. It's becoming pretty standard and rightfully so. I always found the double-tap to wake way more useful and helpful that the Glance screen. Actually, it's the reason I won't use Glance. No need. I just double tap and look at the time along with a pretty picture.

A few years ago even a pinch to zoom was an Apple's patent... I had my first iPhone 2G with this awesome feature and everybody wanted it.. And now ? Every phone has it... But there was also a patent war between Apple and Samsung, after Samsung had implemented it.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Actually Nokia is pretty liberal with the licensing of the patent for double tap. LG has it, Sony has it, HTC now has it, even Jolla has it. It's becoming pretty standard and rightfully so. I always found the double-tap to wake way more useful and helpful that the Glance screen. Actually, it's the reason I won't use Glance. No need. I just double tap and look at the time along with a pretty picture.

Does Nokia have a patent on 'double tap to wake'? A quick search of Google Patents didn't find anything relevant assigned to Nokia. (Not trying to make a point, just interested)

gomezz

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
I rather double tap to see lockscreen. It also gives me more info than Glance7
I see just as much info on my Glance screen as I do on the Lock screen: Message notifications, battery state, details of next Calendar appointment etc.

You know that if you pick up the phone or move it by holding it near the bottom it does *not* wake up the Glance screen? Just stay away from the camera.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Double Tap will. Glance won't. There's some problem with the type of screen used in the 929/930. Nokia is trying to figure out a way around the limitation but nothing yet.
Daniel wrote an article about it.

I keep seeing posters on here saying that double tap will be a wp8.1 feature. I'm wondering if it'll come with 8.1 from Microsoft? Or with Cyan from Nokia?

wpgeek820

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Seriously, the 930 is an awesome phone. But my most used feature is the glance screen. Especially to look at notifications. Lack of this feature is the only thing making me re think whether I should buy this or not in the future.

radmanvr

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
I keep seeing posters on here saying that double tap will be a wp8.1 feature. I'm wondering if it'll come with 8.1 from Microsoft? Or with Cyan from Nokia?

umm I just read it somewhere on the forums, all phones with at least amber update, going into 8.1 will have double tap to wake.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Does Nokia have a patent on 'double tap to wake'? A quick search of Google Patents didn't find anything relevant assigned to Nokia. (Not trying to make a point, just interested)

Yes, I believe so. They patented it in the times of the N9. It was developed by the engineers that have meanwhile left Nokia and formed Jolla.

I see just as much info on my Glance screen as I do on the Lock screen: Message notifications, battery state, details of next Calendar appointment etc.

You know that if you pick up the phone or move it by holding it near the bottom it does *not* wake up the Glance screen? Just stay away from the camera.

I have WhatsApp on my lockscreen. I can see messages there right away in case they show up and read part of them to see if it's urgent. Glance only shows icons.
Also, I know about that. I just don't like Glance nor find practical at all. Simple.
We can't all like the same things ;)

I don't know if it's a 8.1 feature as I don't have access to 8.1. It was a firmware feature on higher end WP8 devices but I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft had integrated the technology into 8.1 itself. Unlike Glance, Double-Tap to wake isn't actually restricted by the hardware on the phones.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I believe so. They patented it in the times of the N9. It was developed by the engineers that have meanwhile left Nokia and formed Jolla.

Does anyone have a reference to this patent? I couldn't find anything on Google Patents, but not everything is easy to find there.
If Nokia have such a patent, they may have cross-licensed it to other companies already. Cross licensing is quite common - two companies bundle up a load of patents and agree not to sue each other over them. The best stuff is rarely included, but relatively minor 'inventions' like this might be, especially if Nokia had no plans to use it in a product.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
very nice but where is Apple?

That list applies to all patents, not just mobile, telecoms and computing (Apple's main lines of business). Apple participate in many fewer markets than the companies at the top of the list and they don't have a large 'research' division, so it's not surprising that they don't appear.
I would not link the number of patent filings to a company's 'innovativeness' too closely. Business models vary and depending what you are aiming to achieve, there are other ways to protect inventions which may be more appropriate in some cases.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I was messing around with a Nexus 5 this weekend, and yesterday. I had no idea how important dttw was to me until now. I hate to say it, but reaching for the power button to wake the screen seems to antiquated.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb