Simple question, I have a brand new Icon, by all appearances everything seems to be great by it. I'm getting used to the metro interface and chugging along except for one major factor.
    My battery doesn't last long at all.

I woke up this morning to 59%, when I went to bed last night it was around 89%
    Light usage will drain it within a few hours, such as surfing, Facebook a couple of light games like flappy birds. I've tried the tips suggested here, like turning off location service, NFC, BT etc.

I've only had the phone a couple of days but it appears I may have a bad model, but I want to get some feedback

Here's a graph of my battery app reporting the status of the battery from yesterday.
    icon_battery.jpg
    04-07-2014 05:00 AM
    Batteries are one of those interesting things with WP and smartphones in general.

First I'll direct you to this: 17 tips to extend battery life on Windows Phone 8 | Windows Phone Central

Second I will say that sometimes batteries take some time to condition. A few charges in other words before they sort themselves out.

Third I would suggest a soft reset (hold volume down and power button together until phone vibrates. Won't erase files but you may need to reset date and time) as sometimes programs become 'stuck' and continue to work in the background. Also leaving anything running will drain battery.

Lastly, if you live/work in an area where you have poor connectivity then you will have excessive battery drain due to that. If you don't have 4G you should switch your settings to 3G.

If after a week or two and your battery is still acting funny (around 10+ charges) then I would think about returning it.
    aximtreo likes this.
    04-07-2014 05:20 AM
    Thanks for the tips, I did find and try the 17 tips last night. I should have been a more precise over my prior actions.

What's the difference between a reboot (holding down the power button) and the soft reset?

I'm very close to doing a hard reset and work off a "stock" phone for a day just to see if there's any major changes to the performance, that way I can then pin it down to a rogue app. I'm really liking the platform, its quite different then IOS but in a good way.
    04-07-2014 05:29 AM
    such quick drains usually point to a defective battery.. yeah it may improve a bit in time but u wont really get the full potential what u would have got from a normal one..i suggest u try for a replacement.

and i dont usually use any battery app.heard some complaints about the battery app itself causing the drain
    gernerttl and Darth_Bane like this.
    04-07-2014 06:18 AM
    such quick drains usually point to a defective battery.. yeah it may improve a bit in time but u wont really get the full potential what u would have got from a normal one..i suggest u try for a replacement.

and i dont usually use any battery app.heard some complaints about the battery app itself causing the drain
    Thanks, I did a hard reset and I'll be playing with it today, but that's my thinking. Its defective and I want to get the ball rolling on a replacement. I'll be calling VZW this morning.

I agree on the battery app, it may have a negative impact on my battery but at the moment, the battery is so poor, I'll live with that so I can generate some statistics.

Edit:
    I just got off the phone with VZW, they're shipping a new phone so I pray this one will have a better battery. I've played with this enough to realize its not working out the way it should. I can live with this a few more days

Thanks for your input and suggestions :)
    Last edited by maflynn; 04-07-2014 at 07:50 AM.
    04-07-2014 07:19 AM
    Good luck...
    04-07-2014 09:16 AM
    Good luck with the new phone. Just one note to add, I've noticed that the battery lasts me all day without an issue with moderate use. However, when I play games like "world at arms" or "tiny deathstar" the processor gets hot and the phones rips through the battery and I may not even make it to noon. An interesting comparison would be the difference between battery life with and without gaming on the phone, which I bet is substantial. If I know I'm not going to be near a charger anytime soon I don't play any games.
    04-07-2014 10:29 AM
    I'm not playing with any games today, I had it fully charged at (or around) 9:00am. I'm at 88% at the moment. Its mostly in standby, though I made a couple of calls, checked Facebook and handled a few texts from work. I'm not sure if that's good/bad/mediocre. I'm think its probably too early to tell at the moment.

I agree that games seem to be the biggest enemy to my battery life.
    04-07-2014 10:50 AM
    This shows smartphones are not for playing games upto 6 to 7 hrs unlike pc.hope atleast iPhone allow its users to get that much battery life.

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app
    04-07-2014 10:53 AM
    I was having some battery issues occasionally, waking to a warm phone, etc. I leave it plugged in overnite and have been doing a simple power cycle reboot each morning while still plugged in, then take it off charge five minutes or so later. My battery and phone has been doing great since I started doing this. I think the fresh reboot cleans out anything running that may have popped up during the night.
    04-07-2014 11:39 AM
    The single biggest battery drainer I've witnessed is when Facebook updates and re-enables itself to run in the background. This happened with me a little while ago and I thought I had a bum phone it was draining so fast.
    04-07-2014 11:59 AM
    Try Battery Performance app,it shows battery health too with respect to how other phones(same model)perform under similiar conditions
    hope i helped :)
    04-07-2014 12:04 PM
    Try Battery Performance app,it shows battery health too with respect to how other phones(same model)perform under similiar conditions
    hope i helped :)
    Thanks, I'm waiting for my phone replacement, I called VZW and they agreed regarding the battery. I had to travel into my office today (I usually work from home) and so I missed fed ex. I have some time tomorrow to go to the distribution center, so I'll pick it up tomorrow and then return my original icon.
    04-11-2014 05:27 PM