Buying the Icon from a store

Dreamspell

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
I live overseas but I was planning to buy the Icon through Amazon US and have it delivered to my uncle in New York who would then bring it when he travels. I saw that Amazon charges an additional $53 tax on top of the $599, so I was wondering if I should just get my uncle to buy it straight from a Verizon or Microsoft store. Do the stores also charge tax, or just the $599?

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I think the tax is more for those that live outside the US? Buying it from the store, without contract, would be the best

Dreamspell

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
I just checked the Verizon store website and I saw that they sell it for $549. So could my uncle just walk into the store and buy it for that price? Pardon my ignorance since I don't live in the US and want to wire transfer the money to my uncle so he could buy it immediately.

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I live overseas but I was planning to buy the Icon through Amazon US and have it delivered to my uncle in New York who would then bring it when he travels. I saw that Amazon charges an additional $53 tax on top of the $599, so I was wondering if I should just get my uncle to buy it straight from a Verizon or Microsoft store. Do the stores also charge tax, or just the $599?

NY sales tax is about $50 for the Icon. I picked mine up at the Microsoft Store in Manhattan and got them to price match Verizon's $550, all in around $600. No way to get around sales tax in the US anymore, at least not with cell phones from reputable parties

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I just checked the Verizon store website and I saw that they sell it for $549. So could my uncle just walk into the store and buy it for that price? Pardon my ignorance since I don't live in the US and want to wire transfer the money to my uncle so he could buy it immediately.

Plus whatever local sales tax, which varies by state and county.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Sales tax will vary based on what state (and even city in some cases) you buy the phone in. Don't think that Uncle Sam won't get his cut....

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss