Battery Life

MicrosoftFoLife

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
So I keep reading through forums and posts and people keep saying their Icons battery life sucks. Am I the only person with an Icon that has great battery life or are there more out there? I couldn't be happier with the battery life. Ever since I started getting smartphone about 7 years ago, I've had horrible battery life until my Icon. Just wondering they're using their phones wrong and sucking the battery dry or if I got lucky.

maflynn

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
Just wondering they're using their phones wrong and sucking the battery dry or if I got lucky.
How would you quantify using a phone wrong?

Last Monday morning I woke up to 59%, when I went to bed it was around 89% I had rebooted the phone in case I had a stuck process before turning in.

Here's my battery snapshot from Sunday. I was using it through out the day, checking facebook, playing a couple of games (flappy bird/solitaire) surfing the web. Nothing heavy duty. Notice the huge drop off
Icon_battery.jpg

MicrosoftFoLife

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
How would you quantify using a phone wrong?

Last Monday morning I woke up to 59%, when I went to bed it was around 89% I had rebooted the phone in case I had a stuck process before turning in.

Here's my battery snapshot from Sunday. I was using it through out the day, checking facebook, playing a couple of games (flappy bird/solitaire) surfing the web. Nothing heavy duty. Notice the huge drop off
View attachment 61712

I quantify "wrong" as using their phones like gameboys or playing music all day or texting so much the phone never actually sleeps.

But that's a crazy drop. Idk why my phone is so good. I rarely go below 60%. If I do, its cause I had a boring day and I was on it all day using it wrong.

Do you have battery saver on?

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
Mine is still new so the battery is not at full capacity, but it's pretty good. One thing people need to do is go into Settings/Background Apps and block some of the apps from using background services. I'll bet there are lots of people that install apps and never check this and to be honest, I'm a little disappointed that MS allows so many apps to run automatically as a background service. Some apps give an option with first run, but others do not and some of them suck the battery.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Day to day, I have no issue with the Icon's battery. It can get me through the work day without needing to be charged. That's with several hours of phone calls, texts, and emails. However, if I'm sitting in a waiting room and want to watch a youtube video, or read some articles on my phone, or play some games, I can't bank on having a strong battery life.

It's all about how intensely you want to use your phone. That's why battery life opinions are so subjective.

MicrosoftFoLife

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
Day to day, I have no issue with the Icon's battery. It can get me through the work day without needing to be charged. That's with several hours of phone calls, texts, and emails. However, if I'm sitting in a waiting room and want to watch a youtube video, or read some articles on my phone, or play some games, I can't bank on having a strong battery life.

It's all about how intensely you want to use your phone. That's why battery life opinions are so subjective.

That's kinda the problem too. People want their phones to be all powerful and do everything in their wildest dreams. A phone is just that. A phone. People keep wanting need technology that they're putting in computers to be put in their cell phones. Like the i7 processor in a surface. I don't see that happening for a long time just because the i7 is a battery destroyer. You can't have a phone that has good battery life with day to day features like email, texting, light browsing and business apps and have that same phone keep up with gaming, movies and music. At least not at this point in time. Some day we might have the best of both worlds but I don't see it yet.

Sorry, this wasn't directed at you or anything. Just liked what you said and wanted to add. :)

spicypadthai

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
I've had mine for 6+ weeks and I get 24 hours with light usage, i.e, mostly texts, checking emails, an hour or two of calls. Playing games or watching video drains it rapidly, even if it's only 15 or 20 minutes. Calls also seem to drain it more than I expected but ironically, talking on my phone is one of the things I do least. Streaming music has been real good. I've done hours without much more than the standby discharge rate. If you use your phone for the basics, checking live tiles, using apps for a few minutes at a time, and you're not planning on hours of calls/gaming/watching video, you'll get a solid day out of a single charge. If you're doing anything regularly for hours other than streaming music, you'll probably be disappointed.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I've had mine for 6+ weeks and I get 24 hours with light usage, i.e, mostly texts, checking emails, an hour or two of calls. Playing games or watching video drains it rapidly, even if it's only 15 or 20 minutes. Calls also seem to drain it more than I expected but ironically, talking on my phone is one of the things I do least. Streaming music has been real good. I've done hours without much more than the standby discharge rate. If you use your phone for the basics, checking live tiles, using apps for a few minutes at a time, and you're not planning on hours of calls/gaming/watching video, you'll get a solid day out of a single charge. If you're doing anything regularly for hours other than streaming music, you'll probably be disappointed.

Calls have been just fine for me. No real battery drainage there.

JudgeHolden

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
My battery life is miserable. It stated in the past week, though. Can't figure out what changed, but I'm at 5% or so battery left each and every evening now, with light use. Last Saturday I woke up and used the internet in bed for about 20 minutes and killed 25% of my battery.

Finally realizing the huge issue, I looked at the phone when I took it off the charger this morning, and it showed 18 hours left. 18 hours at 100% charge? I walked to work, about 20 minutes, with music playing and the screen off. 14 hours left. 93%.

It's at the point where I can't go morning to night without charging. And I am a light user - 20 minutes of talk, 20 minutes of music, maybe 20 minutes of internet (usually less) and maybe 20 texts. Bluetooth is off, WiFi is sometimes off, and music is local, not streaming.
So yes, battery life is a huge issue for me. If I were using this thing heavily I'd probably have to charge it twice per day.

The only background apps I've allowed are Weather Channel and Bing Weather. I may uninstall one to see if it's the drain, but I've never had a phone last this little - my 928 used to get twice this. And, like I said, I'm fairly certain this is a new development with this phone, but it makes me extremely unhappy with it. I think my headphone jack is broken as well - in-line controls don't work, the microphone doesn't work if the phone is in my pocket, and today the left ear stopped working. With two sets of headphones... I'm getting very tired of going back to the Microsoft Store with a defective Nokia phone.

maflynn

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
Guess it depends on your definition of "fine". I don't expect a 20 to 30 minute call to drain upwards of 5% of the battery and that's what I'm consistently seeing.

I don't know of any phone that would handle what you post. My old iPhone 5 had an appreciable drop in the battery after a long conference call. 5% for a 30 minute call isn't much imo.

spicypadthai

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
I don't know of any phone that would handle what you post. My old iPhone 5 had an appreciable drop in the battery after a long conference call. 5% for a 30 minute call isn't much imo.

That's my point. Strictly from a talk time perspective, seems 2+ year old phones perform just as well or better. Even my Droid Bionic at the end performed comparably when it came to calls. Maybe I have higher expectations for a flagship phone. And trust me, I'm a fan of Windows Phone in general and the Icon is a good all around phone. But to say the battery life is great under moderate to heavy usage and/or that it's unrealistic to expect more than 10 hours of talk time is looking at it with rose-colored glasses.

MicrosoftFoLife

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
Guess it depends on your definition of "fine". I don't expect a 20 to 30 minute call to drain upwards of 5% of the battery and that's what I'm consistently seeing.

Yeah I don't have a problem with a 5% drop with a half hour or more phone call. Which idk who much mine drops. Never really pay attention.

Chris_Germany

Banned
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Mine is still new so the battery is not at full capacity, but it's pretty good. One thing people need to do is go into Settings/Background Apps and block some of the apps from using background services. I'll bet there are lots of people that install apps and never check this and to be honest, I'm a little disappointed that MS allows so many apps to run automatically as a background service. Some apps give an option with first run, but others do not and some of them suck the battery.

if you don't use an app for 2 weeks, background gets turned off.
And other battery hogs are music and games sync for example.

- Tapatalk -

JudgeHolden

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Anyway, I figured out what it was - somewhere along the lines Location Services was turned on. This makes some sense, I'd seen the damn icon a few times and gone nuts trying to figure out what app was using it.

I turned that off this morning and battery life has, knock on wood, been perfect since.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Anyway, I figured out what it was - somewhere along the lines Location Services was turned on. This makes some sense, I'd seen the damn icon a few times and gone nuts trying to figure out what app was using it.

I turned that off this morning and battery life has, knock on wood, been perfect since.

Wouldn't turning it off negatively effect apps like weather & Here Drive?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077