Battery Life

admorris#AC

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
You shouldn't have to cripple a phone to get it to last all day. Battery life is the main thing keeping me from the Icon. I have a feeling the Ativ SE is going to kill it when it comes to battery life.

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
You shouldn't have to cripple a phone to get it to last all day. Battery life is the main thing keeping me from the Icon. I have a feeling the Ativ SE is going to kill it when it comes to battery life.

I used to get flamed a lot for turning off data, GPS, location services, push notifications on everything and disbanding Google search. But that's how I am able to achieve all day battery life consistently. If I'm not using the phone I don't mind all those things are off because it helps with the battery in the long run.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I used to get flamed a lot for turning off data, GPS, location services, push notifications on everything and disbanding Google search. But that's how I am able to achieve all day battery life consistently. If I'm not using the phone I don't mind all those things are off because it helps with the battery in the long run.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

I keep data on, push on, and I have many apps that I allow to run in the background and I still get all day battery. I don't use battery saver unless battery is low.

I don't need to cripple my phone yo make it work.

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I've had 27 phone calls all 5 mins minimum, check & read my email every 20-30 mins, watched a 20 min YouTube video during lunch, replied to 23 texts & used Fuse RSS reader about 7 times. Started @ 7 AM it is now 3:18 & I have 73% left. I have wifi on all the time & location services is on all the time. I have great battery life, much better than my 928

MicrosoftFoLife

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site

I'm not having the same experience with battery life on my icon. Mine is great. Lasts about 18 hours. Which is a full for me.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
That's kinda the problem too. People want their phones to be all powerful and do everything in their wildest dreams. A phone is just that. A phone. People keep wanting need technology that they're putting in computers to be put in their cell phones. Like the i7 processor in a surface. I don't see that happening for a long time just because the i7 is a battery destroyer. You can't have a phone that has good battery life with day to day features like email, texting, light browsing and business apps and have that same phone keep up with gaming, movies and music. At least not at this point in time. Some day we might have the best of both worlds but I don't see it yet.Sorry, this wasn't directed at you or anything. Just liked what you said and wanted to add. :)

Yea, I know this is kind of off topic but, The phones have been upgraded, multi core CPUS, bigger displays, more memory and these chips are all 100% faster than phones just 3-4 years ago but, one thing we have not changed or had any new tech in is in battery tech. We are still using the basic battery layouts as we used 3-4 years ago. I dream of a day when I only need to charge my phone once a week, with heavy use....

Maybe I just need a Nuclear power plant in my pocket but, this is one are I want to see a major step up in...

As for battery problems in Windows Phone 8/8.1, Check your apps that are running in the background, It could be one app polling for data that could be killing your battery, also, if your in spotty coverage area and a app is doing this. Go into Settings, slide over, and look over background apps, disable all for a test, Run you phone for a day to see how battery is, then enable one by one till you have a drain problem.

This is normally a App problem and can cause a headache with some people. I disable all besides a few apps that I use a lot of, like weave, my weather app, and one more but, everything else is disabled. On my 928, I can get 2-3 days with light use but, on a heavy use day, I can get through 95% of the day with out neededing to charge...

MicrosoftFoLife

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
Yea, I know this is kind of off topic but, The phones have been upgraded, multi core CPUS, bigger displays, more memory and these chips are all 100% faster than phones just 3-4 years ago but, one thing we have not changed or had any new tech in is in battery tech. We are still using the basic battery layouts as we used 3-4 years ago. I dream of a day when I only need to charge my phone once a week, with heavy use....

Maybe I just need a Nuclear power plant in my pocket but, this is one are I want to see a major step up in...

As for battery problems in Windows Phone 8/8.1, Check your apps that are running in the background, It could be one app polling for data that could be killing your battery, also, if your in spotty coverage area and a app is doing this. Go into Settings, slide over, and look over background apps, disable all for a test, Run you phone for a day to see how battery is, then enable one by one till you have a drain problem.

This is normally a App problem and can cause a headache with some people. I disable all besides a few apps that I use a lot of, like weave, my weather app, and one more but, everything else is disabled. On my 928, I can get 2-3 days with light use but, on a heavy use day, I can get through 95% of the day with out neededing to charge...

Yeah I agree. Everything is progressing except the battery. But if Microsoft said they come out with a phone that didn't have anything knew with the software and technology but the battery will last 3 days straight, people would have a fit. I would love it cause I think we're doing pretty well with apps and the camera and programs and would love a longer lasting battery. The general public on the other hand would throw huge fits. Just look at what they did when Cortana didn't work perfectly or that they didn't come out with an SD slot in the 930, people freaked. Haha. Those little things.

mtalinm

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I agree. Everything is progressing except the battery. But if Microsoft said they come out with a phone that didn't have anything knew with the software and technology but the battery will last 3 days straight, people would have a fit. I would love it cause I think we're doing pretty well with apps and the camera and programs and would love a longer lasting battery. The general public on the other hand would throw huge fits. Just look at what they did when Cortana didn't work perfectly or that they didn't come out with an SD slot in the 930, people freaked. Haha. Those little things.

no. batteries are becoming more capable, but the power demands grow at an even faster rate. most manufacturers have concluded that consumers will tolerate a battery that sorta-kinda lasts a whole day because they can charge while they are commuting to/from work. Apple has clearly made this bet. it's not as if the phones with amazing batteries (LG G2, lumia 1520, Droid MAXX) have completely blown away the industry. they just haven't. maybe people should care more about battery but they are voting with their feet.

take me for instance. i had the horrible half-day battery life with the HTC Thunderbolt, but did I get a Droid MAXX or LG G2? Almost. But I wanted a better camera so I waited for the LUmia Icon. go figure.

btw some MIT students have a prototype of "real" wireless charging so the battery fills up while it's in your pocket. you have to be within a foot or two of the charging station, but if there's one at your desk and one in your car that should work well. add them to trains and airports and it's even better.

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Do the various "Battery" apps in WP 8 cause major battery drain? Is there one that most people use?
I tried some different ones, but honestly didn't really see the need for one. Some have definitely reported higher battery use with using them. Whether or not one is better than another regarding power drain is debatable. I just use my icon and don't worry about the battery. One thing I've noticed is if I need a quick charge of say 40% to get me thru it seems to charge back up to that very fast. I can come home for lunch, plug in, grab a sandwich and BAM in short order I've gotten a nice power boost. I don't sweat the small stuff and battery life IMO is small stuff with the icon.

Chris_Germany

Banned
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Do the various "Battery" apps in WP 8 cause major battery drain? Is there one that most people use?

They are useless. You can see the exact percentage of the battery in the settings menu. They dont save any juice.
But at least with wp8.1 we have battery sense, so all these crap apps disappear.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
They are useless. You can see the exact percentage of the battery in the settings menu. They dont save any juice.
But at least with wp8.1 we have battery sense, so all these crap apps disappear.

That's a bit harsh. Some of the battery apps can be useful. I don't use any of them. I prefer to just use Skinnery to pin the battery saver setting to my start menu.

WP8.1 will have battery sense, which will be very nice.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Chris's critique may be a bit harsh, but I agree, battery apps are not very useful. I used "Battery" for a while and found that other than draining my battery quicker, it didn't help me much. The Icon's battery life is such that I stopped worrying if I'm running out of juice.

Another issue I read about is the battery not charging while using Here+ Drive. I've found that to be a problem, but not because of the phone or charger. The issue isn't the app draining fast. It's more likely the phone getting hot from sitting on the dash. Most people use car mounts that either sit on the dash (as does mine), or stuck to the windshield. That exposes it to sunlight, which warms up the phone to the point where the battery stops charging. I've run into to this back in AZ where I had to leave my phone in my car. Even when it was in the center console, the heat was enough to keep the battery from charging properly, even when plugged in.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Yes they do.

My Galaxy Nexus would actually say that it was over heating and stop charging. My Icon doesn't give me an over heat warning, but it just stops charging.

I've found that running my car's A/C through the defrosting vents on the dash helps keep my phone cooler and keeps it from over heating.

bayanii

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
I quantify "wrong" as using their phones like gameboys or playing music all day or texting so much the phone never actually sleeps.

But that's a crazy drop. Idk why my phone is so good. I rarely go below 60%. If I do, its cause I had a boring day and I was on it all day using it wrong.

Do you have battery saver on?

That's how I use my icon. Add photography to that as well. Music doesn't really drain. As long as the screens off it will go for 7 hours straight. I tested it out.

jpling

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Compared to my g2 and galaxy note2/3 the icons battery is laughable and that's putting it nicely. Having said that I love my ICON and is one of the beat phones I've ever had and can not wait til dev preview 8.1!!! Wireless chargers are a mist for me. Even with my 928 it seemed like I was always charging it. I'm a heavy user though. Music , downloads, GPS, video clips, lots of pics daily. Use that phone! Charge when needed. Get an external battery pack if you are away from an outlet for extended periods.

joeynox

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Compared to my g2 and galaxy note2/3 the icons battery is laughable and that's putting it nicely. Having said that I love my ICON and is one of the beat phones I've ever had and can not wait til dev preview 8.1!!! Wireless chargers are a mist for me. Even with my 928 it seemed like I was always charging it. I'm a heavy user though. Music , downloads, GPS, video clips, lots of pics daily. Use that phone! Charge when needed. Get an external battery pack if you are away from an outlet for extended periods.

I have the lgg2 and its battery life is amazing. I can go from 6am to 10 pm with heavy usage of text phone calls Bluetooth streaming and gaming . Gaming hurts it alot but I've never had to recharge my g2 like I do have to my 920. Its actually laughable how bad battery life is in the wp8 ecosystem.

undulose

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
I have the lgg2 and its battery life is amazing. I can go from 6am to 10 pm with heavy usage of text phone calls Bluetooth streaming and gaming . Gaming hurts it alot but I've never had to recharge my g2 like I do have to my 920. Its actually laughable how bad battery life is in the wp8 ecosystem.

Battery life is not laughable with WP8; it is even the other way around with Android. Your G2 has a bigger battery than your 920, a thousand mAh more! Your logic is the one that's laughable.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 (RM-937 Malaysia) using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)