Battery Life

DatabaseMX

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
Nokia Lumia Icon Power Consumption ... Very good, but had issue last night for first time!
====

I've had my Icon for exactly 16 days now.

After a 100% charge, I'm typically is averaging 48 hours or so - until it gets down to maybe 15%. At lot of 'standby' during this time.
Mainly downloading a few apps, handful of voice calls and texts, some FB Messenger and so on. No video streaming, games etc.

Only four Background tasks run typically:
CNN (for breaking news), Bing Finance (monitoring one stock), Weather Channel (w/live tile) and Insider Pro (with live tile) - which has a VERY impressive battery monitor function and mind boggling battery stats - checkout Inside Pro!

So ... overall ... very good.

HOWEVER ... last night plugged in wall charger at 01:35 pdt.
Finished at 03:52 pdt ... great stats from Insider Pro - shows entire charging cycle increments with Time, % etc. Very cool/

At 07:30 this morning ... the % charged was down to 91% !! ... Setting totally idle from 03:52 (100%) until 07:30. Seemed odd.
At 09:35 ... down to 80% with NO activity on my part. Exact same Background task I mentioned above running. Nothing else.
At 11:32 ... down to 66%. Totally abnormal !

So ... I did a complete shutdown and rebooted.
The problem - whatever it was causing rapid discharging has disappeared.
Charge has dropped only slightly (my normal) to 62% since then, and it is now 15:05 pdt (Tue 4-15).

More ...
Actually now, looking at Insider Pro battery stats from last night ... I see the following:

36% at 22:33 - pretty normal to this point - on 2nd day of use since 100 % charge.

After this ... charged started dropping abnormally.
23 % at 00:00 (midnight)
17 % at 01:35
Phone was totally idle at this time, ie no phone calls, FB, texts, etc.

So ... I have no clue what triggered this rapid discharge late last night?

If anyone has any clues, I'm all ears.

thx.mx

maflynn

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
Last Monday morning I woke up to 59%, when I went to bed it was around 89%

Just a quick update, that my battery life has improved dramatically, VZW replaced my phone and now I'm seeing battery usage more inline with my expectations. (I called about the battery and the headphone jack wasn't working)

MarkCSimpson

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I've not noticed it being an issue. Coming from a Note II, in terms of MPG the Icon is a Hybrid. Even sitting on my desk all day searching for LTE signal (the office sits in a cell black hole), it only drains about 1/4 the battery. I have not crippled the phone at all and once I get home I use it constantly and have only once dropped below critical. A phone can't be all things to all people, but if you get a full day use out of it, you're in the win category. You have to adjust for your personal usage style.

and have a second charger at work (and having Qi pad, makes it seems like you're not charging it at all). Batteries have come a long way in a decade...No need to worry about memory effects anymore. Just charge it when it's not being used. Pretty simple really...

admorris#AC

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Nokia Lumia Icon Power Consumption ... Very good, but had issue last night for first time!
====

I've had my Icon for exactly 16 days now.

After a 100% charge, I'm typically is averaging 48 hours or so - until it gets down to maybe 15%. At lot of 'standby' during this time.
Mainly downloading a few apps, handful of voice calls and texts, some FB Messenger and so on. No video streaming, games etc.

Only four Background tasks run typically:
CNN (for breaking news), Bing Finance (monitoring one stock), Weather Channel (w/live tile) and Insider Pro (with live tile) - which has a VERY impressive battery monitor function and mind boggling battery stats - checkout Inside Pro!

So ... overall ... very good.

HOWEVER ... last night plugged in wall charger at 01:35 pdt.
Finished at 03:52 pdt ... great stats from Insider Pro - shows entire charging cycle increments with Time, % etc. Very cool/

At 07:30 this morning ... the % charged was down to 91% !! ... Setting totally idle from 03:52 (100%) until 07:30. Seemed odd.
At 09:35 ... down to 80% with NO activity on my part. Exact same Background task I mentioned above running. Nothing else.
At 11:32 ... down to 66%. Totally abnormal !

So ... I did a complete shutdown and rebooted.
The problem - whatever it was causing rapid discharging has disappeared.
Charge has dropped only slightly (my normal) to 62% since then, and it is now 15:05 pdt (Tue 4-15).

More ...
Actually now, looking at Insider Pro battery stats from last night ... I see the following:

36% at 22:33 - pretty normal to this point - on 2nd day of use since 100 % charge.

After this ... charged started dropping abnormally.
23 % at 00:00 (midnight)
17 % at 01:35
Phone was totally idle at this time, ie no phone calls, FB, texts, etc.

So ... I have no clue what triggered this rapid discharge late last night?

If anyone has any clues, I'm all ears.

thx.mx

That's the biggest consistent issue with windows phone that is keeping me from trying it out again. I've had three Lumia 920's, and all would exhibit behavior similar to this (hence, why I no longer have them). One day battery life would be great, the next day with exact same usage, life would be horrible. No other phone I've owned has acted this way.

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
For the first couple of weeks owning this phone it was a little sub-par compared to my 822. It wasn't horrible, but not great either. After I updated to 8.1, and after settling down my usage of the phone and making sure all of the background processes for apps I don't use were disallowed in Battery Saver, I'm now getting stellar battery life, a little better than my 822. After 14 hours I still have 46% left. I would imagine I could probably let the device go through the night and still have 10-20% battery life (I've run it down to 2% before, and it seemed to still last a while). So more than 24 hours is pretty solid. See the pictures attached to see my battery late last month after I got the phone and had it for a couple of days, and then my usage today.
wp_ss_20140326_0001.pngwp_ss_20140416_0001.png

cceller

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
I have seen a change in my battery (for the worse) after the update to 8.1. Also started having issues with the power button not being very responsive to wake the phone. I find myself holding it down so long that it actually wants to shut the phone down. Fear I may be talking to VZW soon about a replacement.

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
After installing the 8.1 update, my battery was worse. But that was two days ago. Yesterday, it was close to pre 8.1, but still a little worse. Today, things have settled down and it's pretty much equal to what 8.0 was on my Icon, before installing 8.1.

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I have seen a change in my battery (for the worse) after the update to 8.1. Also started having issues with the power button not being very responsive to wake the phone. I find myself holding it down so long that it actually wants to shut the phone down. Fear I may be talking to VZW soon about a replacement.

The power button issue is a known bug in the software and is reportedly being worked.

As far as your battery life...did you open Battery Saver and make sure you disallowed all the apps running in the background that you don't need? Remember, 8.1 resets all of the apps to be allowed to run in the background, thus you will see greater background operation and less battery. Combine that with Cortana doing a lot of things for the first couple of days, and your inherent increased use, and that will add to the drain. My second day is just as good as yesterday, leaving work with 65% battery at around 3:45 after pulling the phone off the charger at 7:10am.

mihnat

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
I know that I am beating a dead horse, but I just switched yesterday from a 521 getting no more than 9%/hr battery depletion with WIFI on, crapload of live tiles, listening to music, using the phone, text, etc. to my ICON and 8.0 (not even 8.1 yet) using half the tiles of the 521 and WIFI off, only a few background apps active, display brightness on low, a dark color for tiles (yes, I am stretching!), etc and burning through over 16%/hr just checking email and texts and 30%/hr playing XBOX music (not off WIFI, but downloaded all songs). I

am trying to figure out whether:
1) this is as good as it gets for the ICON and I should be happy to have such a huge cool new phone and put chargers wherever I go?
2) whether I may have missed some gem of a hint to make this bearable?
3) whether with time or the phase of the moon this is likely to get more bearable?
4) whether I should run a hard reset and spend hr re-loading everything by hand to see whether that helps (yesterday I did use my 521 backup on onedrive to load back my apps)? or
5) like others have suggested, this could be a lemon for the battery and I should get it replaced?

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I know that I am beating a dead horse, but I just switched yesterday from a 521 getting no more than 9%/hr battery depletion with WIFI on, crapload of live tiles, listening to music, using the phone, text, etc. to my ICON and 8.0 (not even 8.1 yet) using half the tiles of the 521 and WIFI off, only a few background apps active, display brightness on low, a dark color for tiles (yes, I am stretching!), etc and burning through over 16%/hr just checking email and texts and 30%/hr playing XBOX music (not off WIFI, but downloaded all songs). I

am trying to figure out whether:
1) this is as good as it gets for the ICON and I should be happy to have such a huge cool new phone and put chargers wherever I go?
2) whether I may have missed some gem of a hint to make this bearable?
3) whether with time or the phase of the moon this is likely to get more bearable?
4) whether I should run a hard reset and spend hr re-loading everything by hand to see whether that helps (yesterday I did use my 521 backup on onedrive to load back my apps)? or
5) like others have suggested, this could be a lemon for the battery and I should get it replaced?

You can see my battery in the charts above. I would typically get 6-8% drain per hour under my normal use which would typically be more like 2-4% on my 822. Since updating to 8.1, getting through all the initial setup, app updates, turning off all of the background apps that I don't want/need, and getting back to normal use, my Icon is getting battery life on par with my 822, which means I can get through a day+ with light to moderate use. Now, if I'm playing games for a couple of hours, that's going to shave my battery time down quite a bit. The nice thing is that it only takes about an hour to charge 50% of the battery. So even a quick 10 minute top off can add hours of time once your on 8.1 and have the battery drain settled down.

So far, I've gone through 3 days straight of battery life on par with my 822, meaning I would be at roughly 40% after about 16 hours of normal use for me.

Vitor Ferreira

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Let your battery die and than charge it. It worked for me so far. Not so long ago I read that is good for the l920 battery to let it die 1 time in a mouth but its really bad to let it die everyday or every week.

mtalinm

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
As far as your battery life...did you open Battery Saver and make sure you disallowed all the apps running in the background that you don't need? Remember, 8.1 resets all of the apps to be allowed to run in the background, thus you will see greater background operation and less battery. .

This is a key factor. I didn't realize all the background stuf was reset, so FB/twsitter/ instagram were chewing battery all day. Better now.

Btw does DRive+ need to be backgrounder? Does anything, really?

admorris#AC

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
This is a key factor. I didn't realize all the background stuf was reset, so FB/twsitter/ instagram were chewing battery all day. Better now.

About the only thing that "needs" to be in background is weather.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I am on day 4 with continued good results. I have Twitter, Facebook, Cortana, Bing Weather, USA Today, Fox News, Insider and some other minor apps all "Allowed" for background tasks (Cortana is set to "Always Allowed") and I'm still getting these results. It's the several dozen other apps that I disabled and didn't need that seemed to get me there. Of course, I still believe that the first day has a lot of setup and updating that eats a lot of battery life for the first day or so.

I no longer feel tethered to a charger with my Icon, which is good, as that's the way it was with my 822.

mihnat

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
Thanks so much for everyone's input on my 8.0 battery issue! I did end up doing a hard reset, adding apps one by one and I was still seeing crazy battery bleeding (>20%/hr). I finally broke down, called VZW and they replaced it (kinda heroic to get everything switched and still working on switching devices with Xbox music, but that?s a topic of another thread). I did the app by app upload on the new phone and for the past day I have had an average of 3.9%/hr! Now I thoroughly love my new Icon!

skiahh

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Hmmm... it's interesting to read all the various battery successes or not so successful. We just bought 2 Icons. Mine has started barely lasting a day. I'm about 13 or 14 hours off the charger and, with light use today (email, a few texts, no phone calls) I'm down to 16%. My wife's, on the other hand, with about the same usage today, is still at about 50%. AND, she didn't charge last night!

At what point to you decide you've got a bum battery and take it in for a new one?

LumiaIcon

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
We have two Icons. I would say that my wife and I use the phones as much as any normal user should. Meaning we don't play games or watch 2 hour movies (got a TV and Xbox for that - much more pleasant experience), but we make video calls, text heavily, talk on the phone, browse the internet, and almost always pick up our phones for something related to work or personal use every couple minutes. The battery is great. Throw it on the charger when I go to sleep and start again. ZERO ISSUES.

drufranco

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
I have two Icons as well, (my daughter always copies me she followed me moving away from Apple) and she just updated last night to the developer preview. I have had it for awhile now and the battery has adjusted fine and I am getting about 2 days or so on a full charge. I used to get on average 3 days (most was 4 days). All I use it for is mainly email, texting, Internet, and FB chat and updates. Some Twitter, Instagram and of course the Windows Phone Central app. I never really use it as a phone much.
With this in mind before the update I used the battery saver option set to kick in at 20% and would charge it anywhere after 10% was left. Now I have the battery saver off (for battery drain troubleshooting purposes) but plan on testing it out again by turning it back on after this next full charge.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)