Thinking of Ditching iPhone for Icon

OccupyTheJake22

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Im thinking of switching from my iPhone 5c to the Lumia Icon. Few things are holding me back tho.

1. Apps compared to iPhone.
I realize the app store is getting better and better and i might only be missing a few apps but its still a concern.

2. I have a MacBook Air
I love this laptop to death and would not trade it for the world. I like how my photos are on both devices with iCloud and i can message my friends who have iphones with imessage. I dont plan on getting a windows laptop anytime soon but can install a copy of 8.1 on my mac if i wish.

3. 8.1 is not out yet.
Many of the features that are convincing me to switch(cortana, swipe text and notification center) are not there yet.

Any help?
thanks

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
1.) Be specific. What apps would you really, really not want to go with out.

2.) I have friends who have WP's and Macbooks. They make it work just fine. I would advise that you get comfortable with OneDrive, though. That is the easiest way to upload.

3.) Wp8.1 will be out soon enough. The "developer" release that anyone can get should be out in the next week.

I can't even imagine going from an iphone 5c to a Nokia Lumia. It'd be like going from one of those kids cars to an actual automobile.

OccupyTheJake22

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Most social media(fb twitter Instagram), sports(sports center, mlb at bat, bleacher report and fantasy), music(spotify) and banking(chase and Huntington)

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Most social media(fb twitter Instagram), sports(sports center, mlb at bat, bleacher report and fantasy), music(spotify) and banking(chase and Huntington)

Facebook, twitter, and instagram all have official apps. The facebook app is constantly being improved, as in update every week or so. The official Twitter app is great, and there are a bunch of other options as well. Instagram has an official app, I hear it's good, but I've never used it. I also hear 6Tag (6tag | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)), which is an unofficial instagram app, is very good and has even more features than the official.

Bing Sports has replaced all of my sports apps except MLB AtBat. But there's also an official ESPN app if you'd like to use that. I also have my fantasy baseball team pinned to my home screen using the mobile version of ESPN.

Spotify is available. I've heard the quality is not great, but it's getting better?

I use the Chase app (Chase Mobile? | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)) as I only bank with Chase. I don't think Huntington has an app, but you could always pin their mobile site to your start screen.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm considering the same switch but what the heck does this mean?

I mean the feel of the devices. Go to a store and hold your 5c in one hand and an Icon in the other. It's like going from a Fisher Price toy to a premium piece of hardware.

Sorry, I should have been more specific.

borasar

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
I have a macbook pro, no issue with syncing my NL920 with it, am able to get music out of itunes onto my phone. iCloud can be replaced by onedrive, which has an app for Macs.
Don't use spotify, but I have a subscription to xbox music pass, pretty happy with it. All the apps you need seem to be there, in fact for instagram 6tag (unofficial app) is better than instagram on an iphone.
I'd say your biggest adjustment will be the hardware in terms of size, build quality, camera, wireless charging is cool and just getting used to the OS

Mmazeo

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
I mean the feel of the devices. Go to a store and hold your 5c in one hand and an Icon in the other. It's like going from a Fisher Price toy to a premium piece of hardware.

Sorry, I should have been more specific.

You talking just weight? Wife has the 5s and it is very light but it still feels well built, like all iPhones have.

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Supposedly Microsoft is making a new Spotify app for WP, so that should be pretty good. The current one is supposedly not too great, but I don't use it. So as long as you're okay with the size of the Icon, I think you will like it. But ya never know until ya know, ya know?

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
You talking just weight? Wife has the 5s and it is very light but it still feels well built, like all iPhones have.

Weight is part of it, but the material used as well. The 5s does feel like it has a premium and solid build, imo. The 5c? Not so much. It feels cheap, flaky, and far more fragile than your typical piece of Apple hardware. The Nokia Lumia Icon just simply feels premium. It feels and looks like a first class device.

Just my thoughts.

Mmazeo

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Weight is part of it, but the material used as well. The 5s does feel like it has a premium and solid build, imo. The 5c? Not so much. It feels cheap, flaky, and far more fragile than your typical piece of Apple hardware. The Nokia Lumia Icon just simply feels premium. It feels and looks like a first class device.

Just my thoughts.

Oh ok. I never handled the 5c. Just assumed it was the same as the 5s.

And I agree about the impressive feel/build of the Icon. Very impressive.

OccupyTheJake22

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
I had a lumia 928 before and loved the build quality.

Question tho, 99 percent of my friends have iPhones, how will the icon handle group texts. Will they all be in one thread?

maflynn

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
2. I have a MacBook Air
I love this laptop to death and would not trade it for the world. I like how my photos are on both devices with iCloud and i can message my friends who have iphones with imessage. I dont plan on getting a windows laptop anytime soon but can install a copy of 8.1 on my mac if i wish.
Windows phones don't have iMessage but you can do group texts. You can run windows 8.1 on you MBP via VMWare Fusion (or Parallels). I'm an iPhone transplant. I've had the Icon since Friday and I'm enjoying the phone. I'm loading Vmware on my MBP this evening and I'll look to buy a copy of Windows this weekend.

deejohdumb

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
You can receive group texts.

My wife recently switched from her iPhone to the icon and absolutely loves it. 99% of the apps she used on her iphone are on WP. The only one she isn't terribly happy about is pinterest.

It took her almost no time to learn the ins and outs of the os, mainly because it is so simple to use.

It is great as it is now, once 8.1 comes out it will be so much better.

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
^windows phone handles MMS group text like all other smart phones. they will be in one continuous thread (remember to enable group text in message settings)
you will lose iMessage, remember to shut that off on your iPhone before you switch to WP otherwise you'll have issues.

chriszorn

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
You can receive group texts.

My wife recently switched from her iPhone to the icon and absolutely loves it. 99% of the apps she used on her iphone are on WP. The only one she isn't terribly happy about is pinterest.

It took her almost no time to learn the ins and outs of the os, mainly because it is so simple to use.

It is great as it is now, once 8.1 comes out it will be so much better.

Have your wife try out this app for Pinterest. It's awesome! Pin.it for Windows Phone 8 - the superb Pinterest client you have been waiting for | Windows Phone Central

Larrybeo

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
What apps do you want that aren't on WindowsPhone, Bro? You can look at the 300,000 apps the icon has online. Match them up with the apps you have on your POS iPhone. You might miss all the fart apps, but I think the superior processor, RAM, camera, screen gamut, DPI and native mobile office support will make up for the lack of dating sims.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion