04-10-2014 07:37 AM
31 12
tools
    Im thinking of switching from my iPhone 5c to the Lumia Icon. Few things are holding me back tho.

1. Apps compared to iPhone.
    I realize the app store is getting better and better and i might only be missing a few apps but its still a concern.

2. I have a MacBook Air
    I love this laptop to death and would not trade it for the world. I like how my photos are on both devices with iCloud and i can message my friends who have iphones with imessage. I dont plan on getting a windows laptop anytime soon but can install a copy of 8.1 on my mac if i wish.

3. 8.1 is not out yet.
    Many of the features that are convincing me to switch(cortana, swipe text and notification center) are not there yet.

Any help?
    thanks
    04-08-2014 02:05 PM
    1.) Be specific. What apps would you really, really not want to go with out.

2.) I have friends who have WP's and Macbooks. They make it work just fine. I would advise that you get comfortable with OneDrive, though. That is the easiest way to upload.

3.) Wp8.1 will be out soon enough. The "developer" release that anyone can get should be out in the next week.

I can't even imagine going from an iphone 5c to a Nokia Lumia. It'd be like going from one of those kids cars to an actual automobile.
    aximtreo and James8561 like this.
    04-08-2014 02:09 PM
    What apps do you use every day?
    04-08-2014 02:13 PM
    Most social media(fb twitter Instagram), sports(sports center, mlb at bat, bleacher report and fantasy), music(spotify) and banking(chase and Huntington)
    04-08-2014 02:21 PM
    Most social media(fb twitter Instagram), sports(sports center, mlb at bat, bleacher report and fantasy), music(spotify) and banking(chase and Huntington)
    Facebook, twitter, and instagram all have official apps. The facebook app is constantly being improved, as in update every week or so. The official Twitter app is great, and there are a bunch of other options as well. Instagram has an official app, I hear it's good, but I've never used it. I also hear 6Tag (6tag | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)), which is an unofficial instagram app, is very good and has even more features than the official.

Bing Sports has replaced all of my sports apps except MLB AtBat. But there's also an official ESPN app if you'd like to use that. I also have my fantasy baseball team pinned to my home screen using the mobile version of ESPN.

Spotify is available. I've heard the quality is not great, but it's getting better?

I use the Chase app (Chase Mobile | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)) as I only bank with Chase. I don't think Huntington has an app, but you could always pin their mobile site to your start screen.
    James8561 and crav4speed like this.
    04-08-2014 02:50 PM
    1.)

I can't even imagine going from an iphone 5c to a Nokia Lumia. It'd be like going from one of those kids cars to an actual automobile.
    I'm considering the same switch but what the heck does this mean?
    hs k likes this.
    04-08-2014 03:31 PM
    I'm considering the same switch but what the heck does this mean?
    I mean the feel of the devices. Go to a store and hold your 5c in one hand and an Icon in the other. It's like going from a Fisher Price toy to a premium piece of hardware.

Sorry, I should have been more specific.
    04-08-2014 03:32 PM
    Not to sound like a tool, but it's hard to imagine anyone calling instagram an essential/must have app.
    bropes8 likes this.
    04-08-2014 03:36 PM
    I have a macbook pro, no issue with syncing my NL920 with it, am able to get music out of itunes onto my phone. iCloud can be replaced by onedrive, which has an app for Macs.
    Don't use spotify, but I have a subscription to xbox music pass, pretty happy with it. All the apps you need seem to be there, in fact for instagram 6tag (unofficial app) is better than instagram on an iphone.
    I'd say your biggest adjustment will be the hardware in terms of size, build quality, camera, wireless charging is cool and just getting used to the OS
    04-08-2014 03:38 PM
    I mean the feel of the devices. Go to a store and hold your 5c in one hand and an Icon in the other. It's like going from a Fisher Price toy to a premium piece of hardware.

Sorry, I should have been more specific.
    You talking just weight? Wife has the 5s and it is very light but it still feels well built, like all iPhones have.
    04-08-2014 03:39 PM
    Supposedly Microsoft is making a new Spotify app for WP, so that should be pretty good. The current one is supposedly not too great, but I don't use it. So as long as you're okay with the size of the Icon, I think you will like it. But ya never know until ya know, ya know?
    04-08-2014 03:45 PM
    You talking just weight? Wife has the 5s and it is very light but it still feels well built, like all iPhones have.
    Weight is part of it, but the material used as well. The 5s does feel like it has a premium and solid build, imo. The 5c? Not so much. It feels cheap, flaky, and far more fragile than your typical piece of Apple hardware. The Nokia Lumia Icon just simply feels premium. It feels and looks like a first class device.

Just my thoughts.
    04-08-2014 04:01 PM
    Weight is part of it, but the material used as well. The 5s does feel like it has a premium and solid build, imo. The 5c? Not so much. It feels cheap, flaky, and far more fragile than your typical piece of Apple hardware. The Nokia Lumia Icon just simply feels premium. It feels and looks like a first class device.

Just my thoughts.
    Oh ok. I never handled the 5c. Just assumed it was the same as the 5s.

And I agree about the impressive feel/build of the Icon. Very impressive.
    04-08-2014 04:08 PM
    I had a lumia 928 before and loved the build quality.

Question tho, 99 percent of my friends have iPhones, how will the icon handle group texts. Will they all be in one thread?
    paulxxwall likes this.
    04-08-2014 06:44 PM
    2. I have a MacBook Air
    I love this laptop to death and would not trade it for the world. I like how my photos are on both devices with iCloud and i can message my friends who have iphones with imessage. I dont plan on getting a windows laptop anytime soon but can install a copy of 8.1 on my mac if i wish.
    Windows phones don't have iMessage but you can do group texts. You can run windows 8.1 on you MBP via VMWare Fusion (or Parallels). I'm an iPhone transplant. I've had the Icon since Friday and I'm enjoying the phone. I'm loading Vmware on my MBP this evening and I'll look to buy a copy of Windows this weekend.
    04-08-2014 06:54 PM
    You can receive group texts.

My wife recently switched from her iPhone to the icon and absolutely loves it. 99% of the apps she used on her iphone are on WP. The only one she isn't terribly happy about is pinterest.

It took her almost no time to learn the ins and outs of the os, mainly because it is so simple to use.

It is great as it is now, once 8.1 comes out it will be so much better.
    04-08-2014 06:54 PM
    ^windows phone handles MMS group text like all other smart phones. they will be in one continuous thread (remember to enable group text in message settings)
    you will lose iMessage, remember to shut that off on your iPhone before you switch to WP otherwise you'll have issues.
    04-08-2014 06:59 PM
    You can receive group texts.

My wife recently switched from her iPhone to the icon and absolutely loves it. 99% of the apps she used on her iphone are on WP. The only one she isn't terribly happy about is pinterest.

It took her almost no time to learn the ins and outs of the os, mainly because it is so simple to use.

It is great as it is now, once 8.1 comes out it will be so much better.
    Have your wife try out this app for Pinterest. It's awesome! Pin.it for Windows Phone 8 - the superb Pinterest client you have been waiting for | Windows Phone Central
    04-08-2014 10:21 PM
    I had a lumia 928 before and loved the build quality.

Question tho, 99 percent of my friends have iPhones, how will the icon handle group texts. Will they all be in one thread?
    Most of my friends have iToys as well, group texting has no issues with them
    04-08-2014 10:29 PM
    What apps do you want that aren't on WindowsPhone, Bro? You can look at the 300,000 apps the icon has online. Match them up with the apps you have on your POS iPhone. You might miss all the fart apps, but I think the superior processor, RAM, camera, screen gamut, DPI and native mobile office support will make up for the lack of dating sims.
    04-08-2014 10:30 PM
    Group textin works fine on WindowsPhone 8 lumia 925.
    04-08-2014 10:31 PM
    the one thing I do miss as a prior iPhone user is the ability to use iMessage on my Mac. I'd get text messages, and they'd come over on that for those who use iMessage and its easier to type on a computer keyboard then a phone keyboard.

With switching to a new phone there is a level of give and take, I knew I'd be giving this up and an app or two but overall I have no regrets and I recommend the switch :)
    04-09-2014 05:11 AM
    I think I'm gonna wait till 8.1 drops and see what everyone thinks then. As long as 8.1 is everything it's saying it is then I'm prolly making the switch.

Cortana, notification center and the swipe texting are what I'm excited for.
    04-09-2014 06:48 AM
    I registered with this site just to reply to you, do the smart thing and wait. My wife and I had the iPhone 5s (x2) and switched from Sprint to VZW about 2 weeks ago. The service is really what we wanted but brushing up on the phones available I saw the Icon and immediately liked it. I had the HTC Arrive with Sprint and like the OS but hated the hardware. Now, after some time with the phone, I'd be hard pressed to recommend the same path. The camera is the main reason my wife and I both got the phone and it's NOWHERE what I expected. My iPhone 4s from 3 years ago takes faster and more useable pictures. I still can't figure out how to export the full quality pictures, even hooking up the phone to my Mac and using the Windows Phone app only yields the 5mp copies. What the hell is the point of such a high resolution if you can't export them easily? My wife and I had a baby boy 3/26 so having the high resolution photos available for emails to share was a major point of contention for the device. Without question, the pictures I've emailed from my 5s look far greater than what I've sent from the Icon so far. I hope this will change without some bootleg method or having to download another app. Just as an FYI for those who loathe iOS, if you're sending a picture in an email it will automatically ask you what size do you want to send it (full resolution or two smaller options); would that be so impossible to replicate?

You questioned the apps, I do as well. There is little consistency in the app store. There are countless "copy cat" apps that are worthless rip offs of popular games/apps on other platforms. Quality apps like Tweetbot, Alien Blue, Paper, etc will never make their way to WP. Look around this website and the web for "best" apps for WP and tell me if your impressed. When I had my Arrive 2 years ago, I expected that. The store and crummy apps within it have not changed. Searching for apps is also a mess. Type in "Twitter" and you'll get the official app and some other related Twitter crap. To find some of the better items, you need to know exactly what you're looking for. It's annoying to have to do a google search for what you want and then go back to the store to type it in and attempt to find it. Your search also must be perfectly spelled. I remembered reading that Peregrine was a good twitter app. Took a bit to track it down as even google had no idea what the hell I was trying to spell at first. I assume the store is something being worked on but at the moment it's a mess.

The phone's construction is nice, as Nokia's typically are. Solid with no squeaks or rattles. Solid also means heavy, the phone is certainly substantial. The screen is lovely in resolution but over saturated in color. It took a few days to get used to the inaccurate colors. There is a way to play with that as well but I've left it as it shipped from the factory for the time being. A good test you can do yourself is compare Temple Run 2, which is available for free on both platforms, side by side. On the iPhone, it looks crisp and the gold is truly gold right from the loading screen. On the Icon, the gold is more orange and everything looks almost like a different color palette. Another aspect is the phone scratches very easily. It has Gorilla Glass 3 but just sliding the phone in an out of my pocket yield quite a few little scratches on the top of the phone. I refuse to use a screen protector (I do have a case) as I hate the plastic feel. Even if there was one that was like glass, I'm not interested. I've dropped my iDevices more times than I can count and never had anything like this. Pretty lame if the consensus is just to get a screen protector to eliminate this, borderline unacceptable for a "flagship" device.

If I had to do it again I'm unsure if I would pull the Icon trigger. My return date is this Saturday and with the supposed 8.1 update coming Monday on the preview, I'm torn on what I should do. I'm sure the official VZW one won't be updated to 8.1 until it's official so you will need to find somebody with the phone and update to truly compare. You really have to believe in what MS is doing to jump on this train. I took a gamble just to try something different and I'm unsure what I'll do quite honestly.
    04-09-2014 07:54 AM
    That is the one she is using and is happy with it. I guess it is more like instagram than pinterest. Not perfect but completely usable and of high quality.
    04-09-2014 09:25 AM
31 12