Nokia Icon Working on T-Mobile LTE - Settings Inside

Superhyper

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone actually have SMS working? I've noticed that in the Messaging settings the SMS Center field is blank, and it isn't possible to manually fill it in. That information should come from the SIM card, but it doesn't seem to be working.

NIde

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Aaron - thank you for starting this thread. I wouldn't have made the plunge to buy an Icon & try it on T-Mobile without you :). I created an account to pass along my findings - the Icon on T-Mobile where I live isn't perfect, but I think what isn't working can be fixed. I've been playing with this for about a week.

My situation is similar to 7kubo's. I didn't need to manually change anything through Access Point (I've confirmed identical behavior with and without custom settings). The setting that affects mine most is the speed (LTE/3G/2G). Basically, you can pick any two of: fast data, reliable data, or SMS. I have a theory & I'm hoping by knowing the area where folks live we can understand how towers affect the issue. I live near Seattle, which is a refarmed area.

At 2G, I get consistent SMS and data but inordinately slow speed (~200 kbps).

At 3G, I get (what I consider) "fast" data - nearly 10 mbps download, however SMSes consistently fail with "SMS error 1".

At LTE, my phones get the same speed as at 3G (when it works), but are continually bouncing between towers, as described by Aaron. SMSes typically send, but occasionally fail, which probably corresponds to if it's looking for another tower when I send the message. My phones seem to work "better" after the 8.1 update, and my suspicion is 8.1 is just better at finding towers when connections cut out, because it still definitely hops between towers and occasionally fails SMS and data.

I have two phones, and today set one to LTE and the other to 3G. The LTE one drained the battery dramatically faster than 3G. I suspect it consumes more battery to be always looking for a signal.

My SMS error seems to be identical to an issue with reported on T-Mobile forums with unlocked Lumia 822s: Nokia Lumia 822 can not send SMS over 2G | T-Mobile Support. Unlike this thread, in my call to T-Mobile support I was told they expect any 3G/4G phone to work, and they were willing to work with me to track it down.

Since Superhyper got it to work on 3G, I suspect the farming status of where you live is in play. Superhyper - do you know if your area is refarmed?

Note - I've also been unable to make tethering work, but I'm first working on SMS since that will be a dealbreaker.

sraina

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone actually have SMS working? I've noticed that in the Messaging settings the SMS Center field is blank, and it isn't possible to manually fill it in. That information should come from the SIM card, but it doesn't seem to be working.

Yes I have it working just fine

Wowpicker

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
Irvine, Cali

i bought icon (best win phone so far) directly from ms store

everything works, thanks for wpcentral for APN thing(a must setup)

could use E, H , H+ , not lte, if set to LTE , the signal icon will go on and off, but for sure it does not affect the phone call and receive even it is null signal
but you could set to 3G, then everything is normal, the signal icon will be always on with e h or h+

i really like tmobile, but really bad to say, i might leave for v or att because tmo never had a highend phone promptly

NIde

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Thanks everyone for posting your SMS findings! The fact that it worked for some gave me hope, and the fact that it didn't work for others kept me from blaming a bad Icon and wasting time on exchanges :).

I spoke this morning to T-Mobile's technical support. They confirmed there is a known issue sending SMS messages on 3G or above with multiple Nokia phones from Verizon. This is probably why I found similar reports from owners of the 822. They also said Nokia has a firmware fix in the works & encouraged me to contact them for more details.

Early this week I'll contact Nokia and see if there is an ETA on the firmware fix.

Additionally, I plan to report my issues with tethering. If anyone has tried that & gotten it to work please let me know!

Superhyper

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Aaron - thank you for starting this thread. I wouldn't have made the plunge to buy an Icon & try it on T-Mobile without you :). I created an account to pass along my findings - the Icon on T-Mobile where I live isn't perfect, but I think what isn't working can be fixed. I've been playing with this for about a week.

My situation is similar to 7kubo's. I didn't need to manually change anything through Access Point (I've confirmed identical behavior with and without custom settings). The setting that affects mine most is the speed (LTE/3G/2G). Basically, you can pick any two of: fast data, reliable data, or SMS. I have a theory & I'm hoping by knowing the area where folks live we can understand how towers affect the issue. I live near Seattle, which is a refarmed area.

At 2G, I get consistent SMS and data but inordinately slow speed (~200 kbps).

At 3G, I get (what I consider) "fast" data - nearly 10 mbps download, however SMSes consistently fail with "SMS error 1".

At LTE, my phones get the same speed as at 3G (when it works), but are continually bouncing between towers, as described by Aaron. SMSes typically send, but occasionally fail, which probably corresponds to if it's looking for another tower when I send the message. My phones seem to work "better" after the 8.1 update, and my suspicion is 8.1 is just better at finding towers when connections cut out, because it still definitely hops between towers and occasionally fails SMS and data.

I have two phones, and today set one to LTE and the other to 3G. The LTE one drained the battery dramatically faster than 3G. I suspect it consumes more battery to be always looking for a signal.

My SMS error seems to be identical to an issue with reported on T-Mobile forums with unlocked Lumia 822s: Nokia Lumia 822 can not send SMS over 2G | T-Mobile Support. Unlike this thread, in my call to T-Mobile support I was told they expect any 3G/4G phone to work, and they were willing to work with me to track it down.

Since Superhyper got it to work on 3G, I suspect the farming status of where you live is in play. Superhyper - do you know if your area is refarmed?

Note - I've also been unable to make tethering work, but I'm first working on SMS since that will be a dealbreaker.

The market I live in has been refarmed, I travelled to an area that hadn't been refarmed yet this weekend and could only get EDGE.

Harmdizzle

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
hey guys,

just got a hold of a nokia icon yesterday. through in a tmoible nano sim and followed the instructions from the OP. things seem to work okay -- only issue is that the signal strength indicator will sometimes say no signal even though i do have reception. i know that this is an issue based on other threads.

also -- how is everyone's battery life in 8.1? also, any random reboots?

loving the phone though -- great build quality and camera!!!

sweetmusicd

May 7, 2014
Visit site
Irvine, Cali

i bought icon (best win phone so far) directly from ms store

everything works, thanks for wpcentral for APN thing(a must setup)

could use E, H , H+ , not lte, if set to LTE , the signal icon will go on and off, but for sure it does not affect the phone call and receive even it is null signal
but you could set to 3G, then everything is normal, the signal icon will be always on with e h or h+

i really like tmobile, but really bad to say, i might leave for v or att because tmo never had a highend phone promptly

I have the same issue. I purchased my Icon from the MS store in California and am trying to use it up hear in Canada on the Telus network. Both Verizon and Telus work on the same band and frequencies. I was able to get SMS, MMS working after downloading Access Point and changing location settings. I can get H and H+ but when I move cellular settings to LTE the signal icon goes off and it says I have no service. The mode selection under cellular setting is grayed out and I cant choose between 1)LTE, GSM, or UMTS and 2)LTE, CDMA. It is permanently on LTE, GSM, or UMTS. I am thinking this is the issue. Did Verizon disable this feature when you are not using them so you can't get LTE if you live in North America. I think I am in the same boat as somebody trying to use this phone on ATT or TMobile. I live in an area with excellent LTE coverage and even put my nano sim into a coworkers iphone 5S and it came up LTE right off the bat. I'm frustrated because Verizion wont even say Hi to me on the phone when I try to talk with them about the issue because I am not a paying customer. I just feel like I need to get the option to switch to LTE, CDMA on my phone and then I could use this phone fine. I know the speed increase is really not that big of deal but it's just the fact that I have LTE capabilities but I can't use them. Ugggg! When will Canada get a decent Windows Phone so I don't have to go through all this??!!

AV2RY

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Any idea if it works for 928. I think Icon and 928 have same band things) or they don't?
I just don't want to hard reset without knowing if it will work or not

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Any idea if it works for 928. I think Icon and 928 have same band things) or they don't?
I just don't want to hard reset without knowing if it will work or not

The AWS LTE band that T Mobile shares with Verizon has not been activated yet in the 928's firmware so I it won't work properly yet. Same process should work when (if) it does get enabled

petersun21

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
It's funny that your post went on today. I placed an order for the Lumia Icon with Verizon. I really, really, really did not want to switch because of the price plan difference, but I am tired of the L925 and ready for a higher-end WP device. It's in the mail now and should arrive by Monday. I can return the device with no penalty by refusing the package.

I had two questions for you, though:

1) Does visual voicemail work using your T-Mobile SIM?
2) Do you have any other hiccups while using the service? Do you lose signal or have any reboot issues?

Thanks so much! Greatly appreciated. I can buy the phone directly from Microsoft tomorrow for full price.

I cannot speak for T-Mobile. Here is my experience with AT&T. I had Lumia 1020 and bought an Icon on cragistlist. I cut my sim card and put it into icon. Installed Nokia access point. Everything is working except:
  • Signal bar (data + call). However, I can make/receive phone calls. I can surf the internet with reasonable speed using cellular data only. The phone shows H+ occasionally so I am assuming that it is 4G speed.
  • MMS is not working
I checked the ESN of the phone and it was reported stolen. I filed a police report because I did ask for a copy of the driver's license. I called AT&T and switched the IMEI number to the icon. Then
  • visual voice mail stopped working.
  • Data and cellular signal showed up nicely.

AV2RY

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
I wish I didn't try it on my 928. Internet sharing isn't working now. Tried to fix it few time with 920s guide, used to work before, not now((

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I wish I didn't try it on my 928. Internet sharing isn't working now. Tried to fix it few time with 920s guide, used to work before, not now((
You need to hard reset the phone because there is no way to override the APN settings that you put in because Verizon doesn't have APN settings.

Ferazzz

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I have the same issue. I purchased my Icon from the MS store in California and am trying to use it up hear in Canada on the Telus network. Both Verizon and Telus work on the same band and frequencies. I was able to get SMS, MMS working after downloading Access Point and changing location settings. I can get H and H+ but when I move cellular settings to LTE the signal icon goes off and it says I have no service. The mode selection under cellular setting is grayed out and I cant choose between 1)LTE, GSM, or UMTS and 2)LTE, CDMA. It is permanently on LTE, GSM, or UMTS. I am thinking this is the issue. Did Verizon disable this feature when you are not using them so you can't get LTE if you live in North America. I think I am in the same boat as somebody trying to use this phone on ATT or TMobile. I live in an area with excellent LTE coverage and even put my nano sim into a coworkers iphone 5S and it came up LTE right off the bat. I'm frustrated because Verizion wont even say Hi to me on the phone when I try to talk with them about the issue because I am not a paying customer. I just feel like I need to get the option to switch to LTE, CDMA on my phone and then I could use this phone fine. I know the speed increase is really not that big of deal but it's just the fact that I have LTE capabilities but I can't use them. Ugggg! When will Canada get a decent Windows Phone so I don't have to go through all this??!!

Hey man I want to do the same thing but I am on the Rogers network. Based on what you know will it work!!! If so I want to order this lovely device asap man!!!! Please any advice would be great :) I am in MontreaL on Rogers

Harmdizzle

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
hey guys,

sorry to re-hash an old topic, but for whatever reason my mms (and sometimes sms) stops working -- randomly. i don't know if upgrading to wp8.1 did anything that would cause this, but now i'm stuck were messaging will randomly not work. can someone who is on wp8.1 and on tmobile share their settings?

thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss