This is probably my first major disappoint in moving over to the icon and I know its not Nokia's fault, I find it ridiculous that VZW charges for visual voice mail. I don't get a lot of VMs but using an app to manage what I do get is so much more efficient.

Did you guys/gals bite the bullet and use the app, or are you using some other third party app (I'm not planning on moving it to GV, I have no desire to use google services).
    04-14-2014 02:37 PM
    I'm using MagikMail which is free in its basic form.
    RSailer and Darth_Bane like this.
    04-14-2014 02:39 PM
    This is probably my first major disappoint in moving over to the icon and I know its not Nokia's fault, I find it ridiculous that VZW charges for visual voice mail. I don't get a lot of VMs but using an app to manage what I do get is so much more efficient.

Did you guys/gals bite the bullet and use the app, or are you using some other third party app (I'm not planning on moving it to GV, I have no desire to use google services).
    I've had a long debate with a support person on this... I question why I'm paying $6 (two lines) month for my convenience where as other carriers (I think) don't charge for this feature. Then asked why I cannot save my voicemails locally like it's advertised; he blamed it on Windows Phone not allowing it. I told them that it's not an OS problem being you can save locally and to OneDrive and blamed the inept programmers employed at VZW.

The comments on the app in the store voice the same sentiment of the crappy software. I don't know if it's worth filing a complaint with the FCC or BBB and see what happens.
    Darth_Bane and Ar-ell Ctoo like this.
    04-14-2014 02:59 PM
    Although $2/month is not a lot ... of money, I just cannot see paying VZN for this service. It clearly s/b free. Fortunately, I do not get a lot of voicemails.
    04-14-2014 04:18 PM
    I'll look into MagikMail. I had to sign up to the free trial of VZW's visual voice mail because my inbox was full and deleting the messages via the phone wasn't clearing it out.

Thanks of the advice :)
    Starrbuck likes this.
    04-14-2014 04:25 PM
    Although $2/month is not a lot ... of money, I just cannot see paying VZN for this service. It clearly s/b free. Fortunately, I do not get a lot of voicemails.
    Yea, $2 for basic Visual Voice mail....The same package iPhone users get for free....

Do they still have the CRAPPY Verizon Visual Voice mail app on the ICON or did they FINALLY use the built in one ?
    04-14-2014 07:17 PM
    It is really crappy and not worth the $2

I'm a hypocrite and not only pay for it but use it because I'm too lazy to manage it by pressing #...no wait I should have hit 7...oh crap, I deleted it.
    04-14-2014 09:22 PM
    Glad my company pays my phone bill so I don't have to care how much Verizon rips them off for visual voicemail.
    04-14-2014 10:01 PM
    MagikMail lite seems to do the trick, thanks again. I have it setup and working. I'm now a happy camper :D
    Starrbuck likes this.
    04-15-2014 05:19 AM
    Yea, $2 for basic Visual Voice mail....The same package iPhone users get for free....

Do they still have the CRAPPY Verizon Visual Voice mail app on the ICON or did they FINALLY use the built in one ?
    So iPhone users don't pay $3 month for visual voice mail? If that is the case I'm definitely filing a complaint with the FCC.

Saddly it's their own crappy software.
    04-16-2014 08:15 AM
    I have a 5s with VZW and no I don't pay for visual voicemail. It's built into iOS.
    04-16-2014 04:42 PM
    I'm using MagikMail which is free in its basic form.
    This ^^^
    04-16-2014 04:53 PM
    Apple uses their own voicemail servers, not the carriers. So no use trying to complain to the FCC.
    Windows, Android, and BlackBerry users have to pay $3/mo if they want to use Verizon's visual voice mail.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the other carriers charge for their direct service too.
    primortal likes this.
    04-16-2014 06:45 PM
    Apple uses their own voicemail servers, not the carriers. So no use trying to complain to the FCC.
    Windows, Android, and BlackBerry users have to pay $3/mo if they want to use Verizon's visual voice mail.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the other carriers charge for their direct service too.
    Only Verizon charges at this point, everyone else is free
    04-16-2014 08:38 PM
    I almost never get voicemails so I just live without it.
    04-17-2014 01:29 PM
    I have a 5s with VZW and no I don't pay for visual voicemail. It's built into iOS.
    It's built into Windows Phone too, but Verizon must have disabled it. My T-Mobile HTC 8X had it, and I miss it.
    04-17-2014 04:42 PM
    I use MagikMail and it does the trick. It also has some awesome greetings you can change it to for when someone is calling you.
    04-18-2014 07:02 AM
    I had no idea they charged for this either. That is ridiculous, on top of their already high fees. I got the $60 single line with unlimited voice/text and 1GB data. When I came home and saw that they charge extra for VVM, I nearly canceled my line and returned the phone right away. Just ridiculous. Fortunately, I don't hardly ever call or get VMs, so not a big deal to me. But considering they charge more than all others, it's ridiculous they don't include this, which costs them virtually nothing.
    04-25-2014 03:45 PM
    MagikMail lite does the trick, very happy with it. I'm rather displeased with how VZW is trying to nickel and dime us, but a viable solution is at hand. Thanks everyone :)
    04-26-2014 06:16 AM
    If you have a verizon account, and you dont pay for Visual Voicemail does Magikmail still work?
    04-26-2014 09:40 PM
    Yes. MagikMail Lite is free (ads on screen) and works like Visual Voice Mail. I just set it up and an happy with it.
    04-27-2014 03:05 PM
    If you have a verizon account, and you dont pay for Visual Voicemail does Magikmail still work?
    Yup because you send a code to direct all VM to MagikMail and not to the VZW servers, similarly to googlevoice.
    04-30-2014 06:56 AM