Will La Chapelle

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Can anyone offer if the Nokia Lumia Icon will function as a WiFi only device without any manner of account activation; will this even work on this phone, and if it does how good is the WiFi radio in the Lumia Icon?

Thanks You!

=O)

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
If you mean that it will work without using a CDMA, GSM, or LTE network, then yes. You won't be able to make phone calls, send or receive SMS/MMS messages, or connect to the internet outside of a WiFi hotspot. My question to you is, Why?

Will La Chapelle

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
My answer to you is: there is city-wide WiFi where I live, I pay about $20 a month for access and currently a tiny Archos media player and Skype serve ALL my telephone needs as I have ZERO desire to be on the phone or always available. For now, I have something that functions just fine for what I need until it breaks. In the mean time I'm shopping for something with some of the capabilities along the lines of what's offered by the Nokia Lumia Icon... Samsung had a five inch media player that would have been almost as good but it's been discontinued. But if I can't even get on-line or if the iteration of Skype that is installed on this phone won't work over WiFi without some manner of Cell contract it would be disappointing as there are phones at a fraction of the price that will at least do that part of what I need. Regardless, thank you ver ver much for taking the time to post!

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
If you mean that it will work without using a CDMA, GSM, or LTE network, then yes. You won't be able to make phone calls, send or receive SMS/MMS messages, or connect to the internet outside of a WiFi hotspot. My question to you is, Why?

I found something interesting when I first got the ICON.... I did not have a SIM card in it and I tried to setup the phone (I had a MicroSIM, not a NANOsim) in advance but, It would not let me log into my live account over Wi-Fi for some reason, it kept saying "try again later". I hard reset the phone and tried again, same problem. As soon as I put in a SIM card, it worked fine....

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I found something interesting when I first got the ICON.... I did not have a SIM card in it and I tried to setup the phone (I had a MicroSIM, not a NANOsim) in advance but, It would not let me log into my live account over Wi-Fi for some reason, it kept saying "try again later". I hard reset the phone and tried again, same problem. As soon as I put in a SIM card, it worked fine....

I'm not sure what happened. I just pulled my SIM out and tested all of the items that should work over WiFi and they did. I surfed the internet, sent an email and went into OneDrive. After pulling out my SIM I powered up and I got an error from back up assistant (VZW back up app), and the first time I did an email check I got a connection error and was told try again later. I tried again about a minute or so later and had no issues.

Here are a couple of questions. Which type of WiFi network were you connected to? Your home network, or a public or some other WiFi hotspot? If the later, it is entirely possible the network connection wasn't that great and couldn't get all the way through and since the SIM was out, was unable to connect via LTE.

After putting the SIM back in, did you activate the phone first BEFORE logging into your Live account? Or did you log in to your Live account, THEN activate the phone? If the later on this, then it DOES work as WiFi only, because the SIM is not activated and the phone is not accessing the internet via LTE.

Does that make sense?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss