Go to settings, theme (or start+theme if you're on 8.1) then click background.

When you set it to light, does it give you the "your screen isn't optimized for light colors" prompt and warn you that it will use up more battery life?
    xandros9 likes this.
    04-20-2014 09:42 AM
    Yes

Sent from my RM-927_nam_vzw_100 using Tapatalk
    04-20-2014 09:44 AM
    Crap... I'd gone all this time thinking it had the IPSLCD that the 1520 had.

Has anyone kept it on regularly in a real world situation that can give some insight on just how badly their battery life decreased when changing to a light theme on OLED? I've been too paranoid to do it on my Lumia 1020. Is it really bad enough to avoid the light theme?
    04-20-2014 09:47 AM
    Have not tried it yet

04-20-2014 12:44 PM
    Yes

Mine did not. But i'm sure it does drain a bit more battery. I doubt it's too noticeable.
    04-20-2014 02:37 PM
    Actually it is stated that the Light Background will drain the battery faster.

Because your screen is optimized for dark colors, choosing the light background will use up more of your phones battery.

As far as I know, this has been this way on all Lumia phones.
    I believe the reason is, the dark background is much easier on the eyes for everyone than a light background.

The battery drain could be significant depending on how much you use your phone.
    10% (if that is the estimate, which I have no idea) is a lot. 1% maybe not a lot, but I bet it will be noticeable.

If people can handle it, I would always (my opinion) recommend the dark background anyway.
    04-20-2014 04:16 PM

When you set it to light, does it give you the "your screen isn't optimized for light colors" prompt and warn you that it will use up more battery life?

Nope. But I have batter saver off and that is probably why you are getting that message.
    04-20-2014 07:20 PM
    I'm on 8.1 and don't get that prompt. Be aware that the Icon is an AMOLED variant and will use more power with the light background as more LED's have to be on all the time when using that background. Black is off, hence the reason why Dark is the default for AMOLED's. LCD screens use a backlight which is on at all times (when the screen is on, of course) so the color choice has no bearing on battery drain with LCD.
    xandros9 likes this.
    04-20-2014 07:38 PM

Yes, mine does. However, I've used both light and dark and the difference in battery usage is almost unnoticeable, imo.
    04-21-2014 09:06 AM
    Yes It does. I have 8.1
    04-25-2014 08:50 PM
    The Icon is an AMOLED variant and will use more power with the light background as more LED's have to be on all the time when using that background. Black is off, hence the reason why Dark is the default for AMOLED's. LCD screens use a backlight which is on at all times (when the screen is on, of course) so the color choice has no bearing on battery drain with LCD.
    I know, that's actually a lot of the reason I said I was afraid of trying out a light screen on my current 1020.

Yes, mine does. However, I've used both light and dark and the difference in battery usage is almost unnoticeable, imo.
    ....and thaaaaat's what I wanted to hear! Thank you. My Icon arrives today so I'll be less afraid of trying out a light theme.
    04-26-2014 09:49 AM