Can a Lumia Icon owner do me a quick favor?

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Go to settings, theme (or start+theme if you're on 8.1) then click background.

When you set it to light, does it give you the "your screen isn't optimized for light colors" prompt and warn you that it will use up more battery life?

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Crap... I'd gone all this time thinking it had the IPSLCD that the 1520 had.

Has anyone kept it on regularly in a real world situation that can give some insight on just how badly their battery life decreased when changing to a light theme on OLED? I've been too paranoid to do it on my Lumia 1020. Is it really bad enough to avoid the light theme?

Tepid

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Actually it is stated that the Light Background will drain the battery faster.

Because your screen is optimized for dark colors, choosing the light background will use up more of your phones battery.

As far as I know, this has been this way on all Lumia phones.
I believe the reason is, the dark background is much easier on the eyes for everyone than a light background.

The battery drain could be significant depending on how much you use your phone.
10% (if that is the estimate, which I have no idea) is a lot. 1% maybe not a lot, but I bet it will be noticeable.

If people can handle it, I would always (my opinion) recommend the dark background anyway.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site

When you set it to light, does it give you the "your screen isn't optimized for light colors" prompt and warn you that it will use up more battery life?

Nope. But I have batter saver off and that is probably why you are getting that message.

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm on 8.1 and don't get that prompt. Be aware that the Icon is an AMOLED variant and will use more power with the light background as more LED's have to be on all the time when using that background. Black is off, hence the reason why Dark is the default for AMOLED's. LCD screens use a backlight which is on at all times (when the screen is on, of course) so the color choice has no bearing on battery drain with LCD.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site

Yes, mine does. However, I've used both light and dark and the difference in battery usage is almost unnoticeable, imo.

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
The Icon is an AMOLED variant and will use more power with the light background as more LED's have to be on all the time when using that background. Black is off, hence the reason why Dark is the default for AMOLED's. LCD screens use a backlight which is on at all times (when the screen is on, of course) so the color choice has no bearing on battery drain with LCD.
I know, that's actually a lot of the reason I said I was afraid of trying out a light screen on my current 1020.

Yes, mine does. However, I've used both light and dark and the difference in battery usage is almost unnoticeable, imo.
....and thaaaaat's what I wanted to hear! Thank you. My Icon arrives today so I'll be less afraid of trying out a light theme.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3