The Last Nokia Flagship in the US

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
DJCBS has said several times it was deeply stupid from Microsoft to NOT license the Nokia brand for Lumias since it's the Nokia brand that sells WP everywhere in the first place and nothing else ;)

However, one should notice that there's no written proof of that so far. That's been said by "Nokia"'s-twitter and facebook pages.

But the deal as presented to the shareholders is very clear: the Nokia brand is licensed for 10 years to use ONLY on phones based S30 and S40 series. Nokia remains an independent company and has, obviously, the right to use their own brand. Furthermore, Nokia can return to phones in 2016, and would be very weird for them to return while another company was using their name too.

So either:
1 - the social networks people got the wrong info (which is possible);
2 - they are misleading the users to try and avoid a mass exodus (you just need to see the reactions to the simple idea of not using the Nokia brand and replace it with "Microsoft" or "Microsoft Mobile"),or;
3 - there was a change in the deal to extend the license to Lumia and Nokia X phones too.

I've reached out to Nokia for further clarification. ;)

So if they did keep the Nokia name, does that mean that you'll be buying them?

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
So if they did keep the Nokia name, does that mean that you'll be buying them?

That will depend on:

- If I don't see a Microsoft-ification of what were so far Nokia-services here;
- If I don't see a Microsoft-ification of the quality standards in the phones (you already know my experience and opinion on Microsoft's hardware quality);
- If I see that they upheld Nokia's values and way of working instead of Microsoft-ify everything, thus not soiling the Nokia name;
- If they don't Microsoft-ificate Microsoft Mobile to work with Microsoft's traditional mindset: US yesterday, US tomorrow, US only.
- In the eventuality of a Sony WP, they present a phone that's better than what Sony eventually offers.

With 8.1 they presented an OS that made me finally willing to stay with WP (though Google's butchering of microSD functionality on 4.4 KitKat helped a hell of a lot). I just don't have, so far, a 2014 WP flagship that can make me stay.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Well Microsoft should really keep the Nokia name (or license it) for their Windows Phones, don't know but the name itself gives a lot of faith for most of the people to actually buy the phone (not really the case here in the US but EU and India)...just saying...

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
yeah, maybe the Nokia name means something in other places of the world. but in the US, with people under the age of 30, Nokia has no meaning. In fact, they make fun of Nokia as the phone their parents had.

I grew up on Nokia so I'm fine with them. My first cell phone was a Nokia 8260. it was tiny, very stylish, and a nice phone for the time. But after that, I tried phones from all different companies (LG, Motorola's Razr, Samsung Blackjack, etc.) Most Americans left Nokia a long time ago.

h81.jpg

Nokia-8260-2000.jpg

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
.........But the deal as presented to the shareholders is very clear: the Nokia brand is licensed for 10 years to use ONLY on phones based S30 and S40 series. Nokia remains an independent company and has, obviously, the right to use their own brand. Furthermore, Nokia can return to phones in 2016, and would be very weird for them to return while another company was using their name too.

So either:
1 - the social networks people got the wrong info (which is possible);
2 - they are misleading the users to try and avoid a mass exodus (you just need to see the reactions to the simple idea of not using the Nokia brand and replace it with "Microsoft" or "Microsoft Mobile"),or;
3 - there was a change in the deal to extend the license to Lumia and Nokia X phones too.

I've reached out to Nokia for further clarification. ;)

I do not think the twitter feed is correct, I think the original deal as you presented it is correct. To dumb it down, the original deal allowed for the Nokia name to be used on the feature phone line, not the smartphone line.

If anything has changed (hey, they left out an entire maunfacturing plant, so why not the naming rights?), we will see soon enough. One of the main things I am happy about in getting this deal done is that we can finally write off the little stuff (naming, who goes where in the MS front office) to you and me and get to the important stuff to the end users- the design language of the future devices and the effect owning Nokia has on the other OEMs we want to see make WP devices.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Love the Icon. The irony of the name would not be lost on me if this was the last Nokia branded smartphone here in the US.

I still have stupid, blind, unfounded hope the L930 makes it to AT&T soon after it's release. But, if the Icon is it, Nokia went out on a high note.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
That will depend on:

- If I don't see a Microsoft-ification of what were so far Nokia-services here;
- If I don't see a Microsoft-ification of the quality standards in the phones (you already know my experience and opinion on Microsoft's hardware quality);
- If I see that they upheld Nokia's values and way of working instead of Microsoft-ify everything, thus not soiling the Nokia name;
- If they don't Microsoft-ificate Microsoft Mobile to work with Microsoft's traditional mindset: US yesterday, US tomorrow, US only.
- In the eventuality of a Sony WP, they present a phone that's better than what Sony eventually offers.

With 8.1 they presented an OS that made me finally willing to stay with WP (though Google's butchering of microSD functionality on 4.4 KitKat helped a hell of a lot). I just don't have, so far, a 2014 WP flagship that can make me stay.

😂

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Love the Icon. The irony of the name would not be lost on me if this was the last Nokia branded smartphone here in the US.

I still have stupid, blind, unfounded hope the L930 makes it to AT&T soon after it's release. But, if the Icon is it, Nokia went out on a high note.
I'm hoping it comes to Rogers so i could atleast import it to be used on T-Mobile, ATT sucks as far as unlocking phones are concerned for non customers even if bought off contract for full price

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I was answering to Jas00555

And you did a fine job with it, but I'm sure Microsoft will leave Nokia to do what they do. In their recent acquisitions such as Yammer and Skype, they've pretty much left them to do what they do. It just doesn't make sense for them to try to call the shots when they have very little hardware experience and certainly less mobile experience.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
yeah, maybe the Nokia name means something in other places of the world. but in the US, with people under the age of 30, Nokia has no meaning. In fact, they make fun of Nokia as the phone their parents had.

I grew up on Nokia so I'm fine with them. My first cell phone was a Nokia 8260. it was tiny, very stylish, and a nice phone for the time. But after that, I tried phones from all different companies (LG, Motorola's Razr, Samsung Blackjack, etc.) Most Americans left Nokia a long time ago.

You bring up a very good point. My first cell phone was also a Nokia. I've come full circle, Nokia, Toshiba, Palm, Blackberry, Samsung, and back to Nokia.

Ultimately, if Microsoft does its marketing campaign well (and they usually do), they shouldn't have to many problems.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

Let me reproduce my comment here too, so that you folks can give it some thought:

"Eflop's answer falls in line with the terms of the deal: "the Nokia brand is available to Microsoft to use for its mobile phones products for a period of time, but Nokia as a brand will not be used for long going forward for smartphones. Work is underway to select the go forward smartphone brand"

- "the Nokia brand is available to Microsoft to use for its mobile phones products for a period of time" -> a 10 year license for use on phones based on the S30 and S40 series.

- "but Nokia as a brand will not be used for long going forward for smartphones." -> the Nokia brand can only be used on former and current Lumia devices, which means Microsoft can keep using it on the 1020 and the 1520, and will be able to use it still on phones like the L630 and L930.

However, they will not be able to use it on phones not made official prior do que completition of the deal. Which means the likes of "Superman" and "Goldfinger" should not come with the Nokia brand already."

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
With this being said, do you think MS will come with a Surface phone ? Microsoft designed the Surface entirly in house and on a design aspect, it's a really nice designed piece of hardware. I personally would love that type of detail put in a phone by Microsoft....dont get me wrong, Nokia makes some good stuff but, would love to see what MS would do with full control over a design of a phone...and a place to build/sell it..

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I stop reading at "Eflop."

Just FYI.

Well, your problem ;) I'm never gonna call him anything else.

With this being said, do you think MS will come with a Surface phone ? Microsoft designed the Surface entirly in house and on a design aspect, it's a really nice designed piece of hardware. I personally would love that type of detail put in a phone by Microsoft....dont get me wrong, Nokia makes some good stuff but, would love to see what MS would do with full control over a design of a phone...and a place to build/sell it..

Not sure that will happen since Microsoft also bought the design copyrights portfolio for the phones, which means they'll probably use it. However, seeing how close the Lumia 929/930 already resembles the design of the Surface, I don't think you should worry.
The designer of the more famous Lumias - 800, 920, 1020 etc - left Nokia after the announcement of the deal. Which is why the 930 has a radically different design compared to the 920. So you should see more designs in line with the 930's and so the Surface ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb