Getting ready to get my Icon!

bbhybridchris

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
Well finally after much research and debate I purchased a white lumia icon today! I got it for 550 with free shipping off eBay and it's brand new with plastic still in tact. I have used all the major platforms and am really excited about getting this phone. In my mind it's a piece of design art. It's a beautiful phone especially in the white and silver!

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

mundyb

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Um... I would definitely NOT download the developer preview. My phone was rock solid with killer battery life. Now? Not so much.

When I press the power button, it won't come on. This happens a lot. Sometimes you can hold the button down and it will give you the power off screen, sometimes you just have to wait until it decides to work for you. I can't handle this.

Sometimes... (Quite often compared to NEVER before) It will all of a sudden get rocket hot and the battery will start draining like crazy. This phone had the best battery life of any WP I've ever had. Trophy, 8X, 822, 928, Icon. I've got plenty of experience to judge from. Overall I'd say I get roughly half the battery life I used to get.

The screen dances around when scrolling.

General sluggishness.

I'd say ruined would be my experience. Some of the features are nice, but wait for the official release and don't ruin the best WP Verizon has ever put out. As far as the Icon goes this release is very much a Preview. I just hope the final version fixes everything with official drivers and Nokia repairs.

P.S.
WiFi is seriously broken as well. If you do go ahead with the update, don't judge the WP experience by this Preview

Last edited:

bbhybridchris

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
Yeah I've got 8.1 on my Lumia 520 that I played around with. Not sure it's daily driver material just yet especially in the Icon seeing the many problems some have had on these forums with it. Probably enjoy it on 8 until the real release that is if Verizon gets with the program :(

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

MazoMark

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Dev preview running fine on my Icon. Battery life solid and wifi as good as before. If you do experience any issues, do a hard reset. Most times that cleats things up.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Congrats! You will not be disappointed.

As for WP8.1 Dev Preview. That's up to you. I've personally had no problems with it on my Icon. There are some people having issues with it, but the majority of us (Icon owners at least) seem to be issue free for the most part. One or two of my apps are not liking it, but that will change as the app developers get their stuff updated for 8.1.

bmetelsky

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Based on what I'm reading, I wouldn't say that the majority of icon users on 8.1 are trouble free. I think it's quite the opposite, with a few not having problems, but the majority are.

Sent from Lumia Icon using Tapatalk

mundyb

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Dev preview running fine on my Icon. Battery life solid and wifi as good as before. If you do experience any issues, do a hard reset. Most times that cleats things up.

I think I'll try hard reset. Somehow that never crossed my mind. Thanks for the reminder!

bayanii

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to the ICONS. Muahaha. Lol. As for dev preview, my icon is fine. I'd say roll with wp8 for the time. Get situated with the basics. Get comfortable with the OS. If you feel you need more, download 8.1. Fair warning, s pi me have ran into some issues. Its a preview, so it may have some bugs. Anyways, have fun with the icon. Welcome to WPCIcons.

associatedpress

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Icon for sure is a solid device. Coming from the iPhone 5s, I can't say I'm left wanting like I was with previous windows phones, though I think the developers preview contributes quite a bit to that fulfilled feeling LOL. Anyway, welcome to Windows Phone and Windows Phone Central!

bgl321

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Icon for sure is a solid device. Coming from the iPhone 5s, I can't say I'm left wanting like I was with previous windows phones, though I think the developers preview contributes quite a bit to that fulfilled feeling LOL. Anyway, welcome to Windows Phone and Windows Phone Central!

How long were you on iOS and do you find yourself missing it? Think you'll stick with the ICON?

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Um... I would definitely NOT download the developer preview. My phone was rock solid with killer battery life. Now? Not so much.

When I press the power button, it won't come on. This happens a lot. Sometimes you can hold the button down and it will give you the power off screen, sometimes you just have to wait until it decides to work for you. I can't handle this.

Sometimes... (Quite often compared to NEVER before) It will all of a sudden get rocket hot and the battery will start draining like crazy. This phone had the best battery life of any WP I've ever had. Trophy, 8X, 822, 928, Icon. I've got plenty of experience to judge from. Overall I'd say I get roughly half the battery life I used to get.

The screen dances around when scrolling.

General sluggishness.

I'd say ruined would be my experience. Some of the features are nice, but wait for the official release and don't ruin the best WP Verizon has ever put out. As far as the Icon goes this release is very much a Preview. I just hope the final version fixes everything with official drivers and Nokia repairs.

P.S.
WiFi is seriously broken as well. If you do go ahead with the update, don't judge the WP experience by this Preview

I don't think this is the norm - ive had the button press issue, but I restarted the phone, and it went away. Other than that, ive been loving 8.1, no other issues to speak of for me

associatedpress

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
How long were you on iOS and do you find yourself missing it? Think you'll stick with the ICON?
A long time. Lol. I've had every one from the 3g to the 5s. And a bulk of those for the year or so between releases. I made several switch attempts including the HTC titan, the small Samsung focus(forget its official name but like a mini focus) Nokia Lumia 900 and 920 and now the icon.

Yes, I see my self staying with Windows phone now as well as the
Icon. I like to have the latest if I feel there are upgrades I'll like which is why I had so many iPhones. The developers preview also helps because as you know when Apple releases an IOS update, no carriers stand in the way, the DP makes me feel a little closer to that habit.

Furthermore, with the flattening of ios in IOS 7, I felt it was slightly closer to windows phone but without the customization and usefulness of live tiles.

bbhybridchris

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site

I've played with iOS and still have an iPad mini. Still own a Mac desktop as well... No problems really for me the apps I do use are there and I'm not a real big app guy either. The one thing I need yet would be BBM yet which is supposedly coming this summer. I use it for work group communications. Other than that I plan on staying with the Icon for a long time solid feeling device as well as a very attractive device at least in white to me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3