Saw the Icon in Person and Now I'm Pissed...

steve_w_7

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
So I visited my local Verizon shop this weekend and saw the Icon in person for the fist time. What an absolutely gorgeous handset. As a lifelong T-mobile customer, I'm used to being disappointed by their WP selection. Don't get me wrong, I love my 925 but the Icon is amazing and I'm sick that all we're getting is a 600 series phone this summer...

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Hmm then don't go into a AT&T store and check out the 1520... But at least you can buy the 1520.3 unlocked and it should work on TMO's refarmed areas...

steve_w_7

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I've seen the 1520. I'm not interested in a phone that size.

** Hey @oditius-- what is that super wide calendar tile on the phone in your profile pic?

sraina

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
So I visited my local Verizon shop this weekend and saw the Icon in person for the fist time. What an absolutely gorgeous handset. As a lifelong T-mobile customer, I'm used to being disappointed by their WP selection. Don't get me wrong, I love my 925 but the Icon is amazing and I'm sick that all we're getting is a 600 series phone this summer...

So why don't you try the Icon on T-Mobile - works great in the 'reframed' areas.

Reebs Reebs

May 18, 2013
Visit site
I'm pissed too! It seems that an overpriced 1520 (compared to AT&T's version) is all we got as an option on T-Mobile. I really want the 930/1520 coming from T-Mobile.

Paul May

Lumia 950 & Surface Pro Champion
Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I've seen the 1520. I'm not interested in a phone that size.

** Hey @oditius-- what is that super wide calendar tile on the phone in your profile pic?

I can answer the wide calendar tile question. It is an app called Simple Calendar which is free but has different live tile designs you can pay for.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
As an AT&T user, allow me to say... jealous. I am happy for our Verizon Brothers and Sisters, but jealous. The 6" goodness of the L1520 is about .8" more of a phone then I want, considering I use the phone a ton to make calls, carry it in my front pocket and need a case due to my work envonrment. That will end up being a ton of phone. The Icon is a beast, the absolute best of all worlds. It is one mild feature (Glance), away from being perfect, and hopefully that gets fixed with the official 8.1 update.

Yes, I know an AT&T user has zero reason to whine, with 3 generations of flagship WPs (900, 920, 1520) and the amazing 1020 to brag on.

But.... dang it... I am jealous. So there.

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I can answer the wide calendar tile question. It is an app called Simple Calendar which is free but has different live tile designs you can pay for.

On 8.1 Simple calendar doesn't go all the way across anymore. Or that may be because the 1520 has the extra row? But it had the extra row in 8.0 so I am not sure of either. The one you see on my screenshot is Simple Calendar. (I just added a couple paid extra's) And that is the widest selection. Whatever app they used in the stock picture to stretch 4 tiles, I haven't found.

EwingMCSE

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I was on AT&T until the Icon came out and the combination of such an amazing handset along with the superior coverage of Verizon had me switching carriers that same day.

It's an amazing device. Just the right size - big enough, but not too big. I've already bumped it to WP 8.1 and after a few days of crazy overheats and battery drains I was able to get that stable. Wouldn't even consider another handset or carrier at this time.

tcedwards

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I am sorry about others opinions about the Icon, its truly a beautiful and professional looking phone. That's the problem with the internet sometimes, others opinions seem like fact once read enough, happens to me all the time.

Side note, one complaint I do have with the Icon design is the shape edges and the "squarer" corners. This sometimes makes the phone uncomfortable to use for long periods of time when I am laying down. This is minimal because every phone has design trade offs, and the square edges look amazing imo, so ill get over it.

tcedwards

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I was on AT&T until the Icon came out and the combination of such an amazing handset along with the superior coverage of Verizon had me switching carriers that same day.

It's an amazing device. Just the right size - big enough, but not too big. I've already bumped it to WP 8.1 and after a few days of crazy overheats and battery drains I was able to get that stable. Wouldn't even consider another handset or carrier at this time.

I agree completely. With WP8.1 (minus hic-ups of it being a preview) the Icon is the only phone for me. Ok well if it came in red then it would be the only phone for me:)
Great camera! Great screen! Great processor! Great design! (imo) how can you go wrong?

eortizr

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
the only problem with the icon is the 'fugly' Verizon logo and check mark in the front of the phone. It is just so out of place and intrusive. That is the only one reason I haven't get it to use on AT&T

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
the only problem with the icon is the 'fugly' Verizon logo and check mark in the front of the phone. It is just so out of place and intrusive. That is the only one reason I haven't get it to use on AT&T

I agree with you about the ugliness of the logo... But if that's really the only thing stopping you... Man...

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm pissed too! It seems that an overpriced 1520 (compared to AT&T's version) is all we got as an option on T-Mobile. I really want the 930/1520 coming from T-Mobile.

It may be more expensive, but it's got 32GB of storage and Qi wireless charging and a lot more bands. It's definitely worth the extra price if you're buying the phone off contract. (And it doesn't have stupid logos on it) :)

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
To the OP - I feel your pain regarding us at T-Mobile only getting the 635. But I'm definitely not jealous. Yes, the Icon is a stunning phone, especially the white/silver one. I'm actually happy for Verizon customers who love Windows Phone getting such a nice choice for a phone. I'm very pleased with my 925 and my 810 that I updated to 8.1 (I've been using it on and off the past few days). Call me crazy, but I'm still hoping T-Mobile gets something more than that 635. I definitely am happy that there are unlocked options out there for us, though. At some point, I'm sure there will be people selling their Icons for crazy cheap on eBay.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Having no glance I immediately dismissed the icon. Realistically at its heart its really just another windows phone with minor hardware adjustments. Don't be pissed, be glad you can save up for what comes after. The 925 is still awesome, as is the 920 and 1020. The real upgrade comes after the icon/930.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel