05-03-2014 10:59 AM
26 12
tools
    So I visited my local Verizon shop this weekend and saw the Icon in person for the fist time. What an absolutely gorgeous handset. As a lifelong T-mobile customer, I'm used to being disappointed by their WP selection. Don't get me wrong, I love my 925 but the Icon is amazing and I'm sick that all we're getting is a 600 series phone this summer...
    04-28-2014 04:03 PM
    Hmm then don't go into a AT&T store and check out the 1520... But at least you can buy the 1520.3 unlocked and it should work on TMO's refarmed areas...
    04-28-2014 04:57 PM
    I've seen the 1520. I'm not interested in a phone that size.

** Hey @oditius-- what is that super wide calendar tile on the phone in your profile pic?
    04-28-2014 05:05 PM
    ** Hey @oditius-- what is that super wide calendar tile on the phone in your profile pic?
    Hmmmm....Yes.....Do Share.....
    04-28-2014 05:07 PM
    It's was stock photo of the 1520, so I changed it to my screenshot....
    Last edited by oditius; 04-29-2014 at 09:45 AM.
    04-29-2014 09:32 AM
    So I visited my local Verizon shop this weekend and saw the Icon in person for the fist time. What an absolutely gorgeous handset. As a lifelong T-mobile customer, I'm used to being disappointed by their WP selection. Don't get me wrong, I love my 925 but the Icon is amazing and I'm sick that all we're getting is a 600 series phone this summer...
    So why don't you try the Icon on T-Mobile - works great in the 'reframed' areas.
    04-29-2014 12:05 PM
    I'm pissed too! It seems that an overpriced 1520 (compared to AT&T's version) is all we got as an option on T-Mobile. I really want the 930/1520 coming from T-Mobile.
    04-29-2014 08:46 PM
    I've seen the 1520. I'm not interested in a phone that size.

I can answer the wide calendar tile question. It is an app called Simple Calendar which is free but has different live tile designs you can pay for.
    04-29-2014 10:26 PM
    As an AT&T user, allow me to say... jealous. I am happy for our Verizon Brothers and Sisters, but jealous. The 6" goodness of the L1520 is about .8" more of a phone then I want, considering I use the phone a ton to make calls, carry it in my front pocket and need a case due to my work envonrment. That will end up being a ton of phone. The Icon is a beast, the absolute best of all worlds. It is one mild feature (Glance), away from being perfect, and hopefully that gets fixed with the official 8.1 update.

Yes, I know an AT&T user has zero reason to whine, with 3 generations of flagship WPs (900, 920, 1520) and the amazing 1020 to brag on.

But.... dang it... I am jealous. So there.
    04-30-2014 12:59 AM
    I can answer the wide calendar tile question. It is an app called Simple Calendar which is free but has different live tile designs you can pay for.
    On 8.1 Simple calendar doesn't go all the way across anymore. Or that may be because the 1520 has the extra row? But it had the extra row in 8.0 so I am not sure of either. The one you see on my screenshot is Simple Calendar. (I just added a couple paid extra's) And that is the widest selection. Whatever app they used in the stock picture to stretch 4 tiles, I haven't found.
    04-30-2014 05:51 AM
    I was on AT&T until the Icon came out and the combination of such an amazing handset along with the superior coverage of Verizon had me switching carriers that same day.

It's an amazing device. Just the right size - big enough, but not too big. I've already bumped it to WP 8.1 and after a few days of crazy overheats and battery drains I was able to get that stable. Wouldn't even consider another handset or carrier at this time.
    04-30-2014 10:18 AM
    I am sorry about others opinions about the Icon, its truly a beautiful and professional looking phone. That's the problem with the internet sometimes, others opinions seem like fact once read enough, happens to me all the time.

Side note, one complaint I do have with the Icon design is the shape edges and the "squarer" corners. This sometimes makes the phone uncomfortable to use for long periods of time when I am laying down. This is minimal because every phone has design trade offs, and the square edges look amazing imo, so ill get over it.
    04-30-2014 11:57 AM
    I was on AT&T until the Icon came out and the combination of such an amazing handset along with the superior coverage of Verizon had me switching carriers that same day.

It's an amazing device. Just the right size - big enough, but not too big. I've already bumped it to WP 8.1 and after a few days of crazy overheats and battery drains I was able to get that stable. Wouldn't even consider another handset or carrier at this time.
    I agree completely. With WP8.1 (minus hic-ups of it being a preview) the Icon is the only phone for me. Ok well if it came in red then it would be the only phone for me:)
    Great camera! Great screen! Great processor! Great design! (imo) how can you go wrong?
    04-30-2014 11:59 AM
    the only problem with the icon is the 'fugly' Verizon logo and check mark in the front of the phone. It is just so out of place and intrusive. That is the only one reason I haven't get it to use on AT&T
    04-30-2014 12:33 PM
    the only problem with the icon is the 'fugly' Verizon logo and check mark in the front of the phone. It is just so out of place and intrusive. That is the only one reason I haven't get it to use on AT&T
    I agree with you about the ugliness of the logo... But if that's really the only thing stopping you... Man...
    04-30-2014 12:42 PM
    A good 5" Windows Phone and T-Mobile can have my business that is currently at AT&T.
    Kurt8807 and steve_w_7 like this.
    04-30-2014 12:45 PM
    I'm pissed too! It seems that an overpriced 1520 (compared to AT&T's version) is all we got as an option on T-Mobile. I really want the 930/1520 coming from T-Mobile.
    It may be more expensive, but it's got 32GB of storage and Qi wireless charging and a lot more bands. It's definitely worth the extra price if you're buying the phone off contract. (And it doesn't have stupid logos on it) :)
    04-30-2014 01:12 PM
    To the OP - I feel your pain regarding us at T-Mobile only getting the 635. But I'm definitely not jealous. Yes, the Icon is a stunning phone, especially the white/silver one. I'm actually happy for Verizon customers who love Windows Phone getting such a nice choice for a phone. I'm very pleased with my 925 and my 810 that I updated to 8.1 (I've been using it on and off the past few days). Call me crazy, but I'm still hoping T-Mobile gets something more than that 635. I definitely am happy that there are unlocked options out there for us, though. At some point, I'm sure there will be people selling their Icons for crazy cheap on eBay.
    steve_w_7 likes this.
    04-30-2014 01:25 PM
    Just like 1520.3 we will get options on the 930 as well that work on TMO. Just hang right for a little bit longer 😊
    steve_w_7 likes this.
    04-30-2014 01:49 PM
    Having no glance I immediately dismissed the icon. Realistically at its heart its really just another windows phone with minor hardware adjustments. Don't be pissed, be glad you can save up for what comes after. The 925 is still awesome, as is the 920 and 1020. The real upgrade comes after the icon/930.
    metalchick719 and sraina like this.
    04-30-2014 02:43 PM
    It may be more expensive, but it's got 32GB of storage and Qi wireless charging and a lot more bands. It's definitely worth the extra price if you're buying the phone off contract. (And it doesn't have stupid logos on it) :)
    Yea, I certainly see the advantages. Except, I'm not crazy on either feature. I use OneDrive efficiently and stream everything upload everything to the cloud making 16GB plenty for me. As for Qi charging, I would like to have, but not totally crazy about either.

I'm trying to get my wife to take my 925 so I can justify the price... so working on it :)
    04-30-2014 04:09 PM
    Big part of the reason I am moving on from T-Mobile after over 7 years with them.
    04-30-2014 04:17 PM
    Big part of the reason I am moving on from T-Mobile after over 7 years with them.
    Funny, I thought it was because, as you spend lots of time posting, their service "sucks."
    04-30-2014 09:41 PM
    Lumia 930 needs to come out in the states. I don't want Verizon :( My contract expired already and only phone I am interested in is Icon/930.
    04-30-2014 10:08 PM
    Funny, I thought it was because, as you spend lots of time posting, their service "sucks."
    There service is another big part of the reason. There were many straws from T-Mobile.
    04-30-2014 10:12 PM
26 12