My Icon's beautiful... but it's been erratic for the whole 3 days I've had it. Help?!

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Didn't really have much trouble setting it up on AT&T, and the performance has been absolutely beautiful... but I'm running into some problems.

First off; I'll often hit the power button and the screen will take about 2-8 seconds to register before it comes on. I've never had this happen on any of the Windows Phones I've owned. I can hold down the camera button and it unlocks the phone normally... but the power button only seems to work as intended "sometimes". Can't really get comfortable with that... also, are the camera and power buttons supposed to be elevated lower than the camera button?

Second, my connection is... iffy to say the least. When I came into this I knew fully that I'd be restricted to HSDPA/HSPA+. It's what I had on my Xperia Play, and I was fine with that... thing is, the connection doesn't even seem to be as strong or reliable as that phone from 3 years ago. The instructions I've found thus far indicate that all I have to do is set the APN to "pta" while leaving all other values blank and everything should be good... I'll see my "H" icon, sometimes it changes to "H+" but the signal isn't satisfactory despite how good AT&T is in this area. Did I miss something else I was supposed to do in the APN menu?

Lastly, this phone seems to have a very bad habit of just getting extremely hot and going into "**** up my battery life" mode. It'll be idle on a table or in my pocket then I reach to grab and find that it's easily at 50-65deg (looking for a utility on the WP store that will actually let me monitor the temp) and my battery has taken a random 10-15% hit... I feel like it's doing something in the background yet I have everything except battery saver set to "not allowed" (viewing what's consuming battery life actually feels inaccurate since nothing in battery saver is rated in percentages, btw). Just today it did this while I had data completely disabled... is there a certain level of setting everything to "not allowed" that gets to be counter-productive or something?

I really want to love this beautiful, high-performance phone... but it's just being so... weird! Any idea wtf is going on?

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Allowing battery saver to run in the background actually takes a larger toll on battery life than Cortana, according to those bars in the battery saver app...

Also, I agree: Percentages would be nice.

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
Except for missing glance, the Icon is like going from the 822 to the 928. Just a great step up in quality and especially speed.

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
What I have found, via someone else on this forum, is that the power-on delay seems to be tied to the WiFi. If you turn WiFi off, the phone comes on after a very short half-second pause. With WiFi on, it, more often than not, takes 2-4 seconds for the display to come on. I suspect it's a firmware issue. I had the same thing happen to me with my 822 after the "Black" update. Quite annoying to say the least. I hope they get the issue fixed. Try it yourself, though. Turn WiFi off and wait a few second for it to finish. Then try the power button to see if the display comes right back on after you've put it in standby. If it does...welcome to the club...you now know the culprit.

As far as the buttons are concerned, the camera button is slightly higher than the power and volume buttons because it is a two-stage button; i.e. you press down half-way to focus, and fully to take a picture.

I can't help with the AT&T stuff...sorry.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3