I had my daughter talked into an Icon...But

Mike Gibson

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
She had a flip phone for years while everyone else had smartphones and you clowns think peer pressure influenced her decision......"insert rude noise here"
Your OP sounded exactly like you were referring to getting a teenager her first phone (there have been many threads on the same topic). People take the time to reply to your comment and then you get upset? That's rich.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
WOW I don't believe the direction this post has gone. I did a search for call quality before I made the post as this was what this post is about. My daughter is not some giddy teen. She is in her mid thirties and is a Dentist that owns her own practice. She recently bought outlook for around a hundred bucks and worked hours getting all of her contacts off of her failing yahoo account. What should have been easy wasn't because yahoo is so screwed up lately. She has been using my 925 and likes how easy it is to use the OS.

A windows phone would have worked better for her but for the sound quality issue which is the reason I made the post. She had a flip phone for years while everyone else had smartphones and you clowns think peer pressure influenced her decision......"insert rude noise here"

Well SOORRRYYY!!!! Your last line said:
"She now has a Galaxy S5.............Oh Well"
I thought you were lamenting the fact that she went Droid. I was trying to sympathize with you. Guess some of us mistook the point of your post and tried to be sympathetic. Guess we'll just be moving on then...
*No rude noise, just moving on.

Last edited:

calfee20

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
People who try to force their preferred smartphone platforms onto others are the worst.
I didn't force anything. We had discussions about the three formats and I pointed out strengths and weaknesses about them. I pointed out that if she needed special apps for banking or flying Win phone was not the way to go. I also pointed out how I am always beating a dead horse. My VCR of choice was a Betamax and my last PC had an Asus P4 T-533 motherboard with rambus memory that soon went out of fashion and left me with an inadequate 1 gig of memory that I couldn't upgrade and about that Sigma SLR with the Foveon sensor..................Oh Well

This is why Windows phone needs more model selection. She was going to get top of some line and there was only one windows but several androids to chose from. BTW the removable battery in the S5 was also a big deal for her. If she doesn't break it she will keep it for a long time.

calfee20

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I've heard one other person complain about this with Icon. I haven't experienced this with mine, though I use earphones most of time for calls. I do think the rear speaker could be better on Icon.

I'm surprised she went with S5 in this case. Would have thought those big, front facing speakers on HTC M8 would have won her over.

I do appreciate your comment.

MA83

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Even Daniel mentioned that the speaker quality was just ok on the Icon especially when compared to the 1520. I think what she'll find is that she won't if ever really use the external speakers and that the Android operating system bogs down and is a clumsy OS. Eventually she'll probably come around. As someone that started Android, used iOS for a while, and finally switched to WP, I have no plans of going back.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
With the Icon it kinda depends on how you sit the phone the type of sound you'll get. If you just hold it in the air, it will be very soft, cup your hand around the back it will be muffled, and sit it on the table for a sharper sound. Now not one of these positions is great, but the table position is least bad.

I wish they had stuck with the speaker on the 928, that speaker is LOUD!

machzk

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
Not surprised kids are into Android. Apple is your parents phone and WP hasn't gained traction to be cool.

I don?t know where you are, but kids are not into Android where I am. They are still stuck on iPhones. Android is popular among those who don?t want or cant spend on an iPhone. Or people who need a big screen for work related matters. Kids if they have a choice want the iPhone.

kylezangel

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
Where I'm from, the trend culture is to have one of those old crapberry phones. It's like the one thing you need to get into a group. Standard for me is being different, that's why I have a Lumia :p

borasar

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
My daughter was getting her first smart phone and I had her really considering a Win phone. She has outlook with lots of contacts and a calendar that she needed to play nice with a new smart phone. WinP8 should be best at this. She got a good sales rep that didn't try to steer her one way or another but when she tried the Icon she didn't like the sound quality. She said it was muffled and she even tried a second unit with the same results.

She now has a Galaxy S5.............Oh Well

You have failed us! Please leave this forum at once ;P

EwingMCSE

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
The external speaker on the Icon is quite good. It's something with the app/firmware that makes it seem weak. Fire up Nokia Mix Radio and be amazed by how loud it is. If I drop mine in the car-stand I got for it (which I use on my PC desk so it stands like a tiny 2nd screen) I find myself turning the volume DOWN to 14 or 15 because it's loud all the way to the kitchen.

As a former long-time android user I will say this about the OS. With WP8 it the OS was close enough that I was quite happy to switch to a 920. I eventually sold that and got a 1020 and liked that even more (amazing pictures, awkward camera hump). With WP8.1 I feel Windows has completely caught up to the other 2 vendors and it is now more a matter of preference.

I have zero intention of going back to tiny-phones-only/no-customization-allowed iPhones or buggy, laggy Android. I tried a friends Galaxy S5 and it's a nice phone, but I'd never give up my Lumia Icon for it. I miss the 41MP camera on the 1020, but otherwise the Icon is a fantastic phone.

My wife was even more dramatically impacted. She's not technical or wanting to spend a huge time figuring out how to make things work on her phone. She LOVES WP8 and is also enjoying the Lumia Icon.

As far as the original post goes - I think your daughter just flat out didn't want an Icon and was letting you down easy. Both of our phones are fine on the ear or speaker phone. It's a little muted which is easily countered by turning the volume up. Again, I think this is a firmware issue as the Nokia Mix Radio is VERY loud.

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
You have failed us! Please leave this forum at once ;P

If failing to get someone to go for WP is terms for leaving the forum, we'd have all left years ago. It's too bad you didn't introduce your daughter to the Samsung Ativ-SE. It's like an Icon, but with a removable battery. I want to say the batteries are interchangeable with one of the Galaxies.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Not surprised kids are into Android. Apple is your parents phone and WP hasn't gained traction to be cool.

Really? A couple of my young cousins have an iPhone and iPod touch respectively. I usually see teens toting iPhones, actually. My mother, who's 64, has a Nokia Lumia 620. So your generalization doesn't quite work.

borasar

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
If failing to get someone to go for WP is terms for leaving the forum, we'd have all left years ago. It's too bad you didn't introduce your daughter to the Samsung Ativ-SE. It's like an Icon, but with a removable battery. I want to say the batteries are interchangeable with one of the Galaxies.

you must be fun at parties

Last edited:

EwingMCSE

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
WP8 phones are getting some "attempts" at being cool. I've seen them used extensively on the TV show Arrow on CW and on Mindy. It can be a touch annoying when they go to in-show-phone-feature-demo, but it's definitely good press for Windows Phone.

Tansen

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Same here, was iOS for a while, then android, now WP and quite happy (then again it wasn't until 8.1 that I was truly completely satisfied).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans