New to WP & Icon - Nokia Pro Cam question

jmaudi0

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I just switched from Android to WP and got my Icon this past Monday. Absolutely love the phone so far. Sticking with WP8 for now but plan to update to 8.1 in a few weeks once I tinker with the phone some more and learn all the little tricks of the OS. (I will say so far the only thing I miss from Android is Mightytext and being able to send text messages from my computer...but no biggie).

One of the big reasons I chose the Icon was for the 20MP camera and I am not disappointed. It takes beautiful photos for a phone cam and I plan to use it on my honeymoon later this year. I currently have the phone set to back up my photos to Dropbox instead of Onedrive bc I have more room in dropbox and that is what I am used to using. (let me preface this next part by saying I'm no photography expert). The photo resolution being backed up is 3072 x 1728. Now I understand with Nokia Pro Cam you capture both a 5MP and 16MP image. I want to be sure the nice 16MP image is being backed up to Dropbox. Can anyone confirm this is how it actually works? If not please point me in the direction of the proper setting changes that need to be made.

Thanks!

anon(8657436)

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I just switched from Android to WP and got my Icon this past Monday. Absolutely love the phone so far. Sticking with WP8 for now but plan to update to 8.1 in a few weeks once I tinker with the phone some more and learn all the little tricks of the OS. (I will say so far the only thing I miss from Android is Mightytext and being able to send text messages from my computer...but no biggie).

One of the big reasons I chose the Icon was for the 20MP camera and I am not disappointed. It takes beautiful photos for a phone cam and I plan to use it on my honeymoon later this year. I currently have the phone set to back up my photos to Dropbox instead of Onedrive bc I have more room in dropbox and that is what I am used to using. (let me preface this next part by saying I'm no photography expert). The photo resolution being backed up is 3072 x 1728. Now I understand with Nokia Pro Cam you capture both a 5MP and 16MP image. I want to be sure the nice 16MP image is being backed up to Dropbox. Can anyone confirm this is how it actually works? If not please point me in the direction of the proper setting changes that need to be made.

Thanks!

I don't know about dropbox, but in OneDrive, it backs up both of them when you set the backup photo quality to best. But note that DNG files are not uploaded to OneDrive by default.

PS: Why don't you click a few pictures and check it out.

jmaudi0

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
i just set it to Best Quality upload on Skydrive and it backed my photos without issue but only in one size, again 3072 x 1728 pixels, example file name: WP_20140501_14_16_55_Pro.jpg

how can i confirm if that is 5MP or 16MP?

anon(8657436)

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
i just set it to Best Quality upload on Skydrive and it backed my photos without issue but only in one size, again 3072 x 1728 pixels, example file name: WP_20140501_14_16_55_Pro.jpg

That's 5MP considering the resolution you told me. Will have to ask higher up the chain. Will ask somebody to let you know.

Mavee Shah

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site

open pic in pro cam tap ... And then info...it's written there

Mavee Shah

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
that only says 5MP + 16MP. i want to know how to back up the 16MP picture as it seems dropbox and onedrive/skydrive only back up 5MP images.

I don't think that OneDrive would back up only 5 mp... No of pic is captured in 16 MP mood that would be uploaded to OneDrive on 16 MP

Mavee Shah

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
In the earlier OneDrive or on wp8 there was a feature that the pic captured from any other lenses than default backed up to OneDrive and when downloaded would also open in that app but that feature is missing in 8.1
That was the way you would be able to check the mood of pic backed up to OneDrive

hope4wp

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
let me get the facts straight
1) you're using WP8
2) you're saving it to dropbox? (explain me how?)
3) you wanna know whether it's the full resolution
4) hope you have a pc/laptop
so, you have the settings to best quality already and you wanna know which resolution it has saved it in
it will upload the full resolution pic :) check your settings in your camera if you're taking the pics in full resolution first and if you're then it will upload the 5MP+16MP picture! if you still want to check the resolution...head to your pc/lappy and...
open onedrive from the explorer/my computer
go to pictures....camera roll.....right click on any pic and select properties!
it will show you the resolution of the picture.....if you're still not satisfied
I use IrfanView.....open the pic in IrfanView and press the button "I" in the keyboard....it will show you the image information
hope I helped you :)
Screenshot (37).png
Screenshot (38).png
Screenshot (39).png
this picture is with the properties and the IrfanView Image Information together
Screenshot (36).png
P.S - I'm a proud L1020 owner! that's why it's showing 33.56 MP....any other questions whatsoever...feel free to ask :smile:

Slater_GS

May 14, 2013
Visit site
finally somebody who actually makes sense. thank you.

This doesn't solve your backing up the high resolution photo though if you want it to be automatic.
If I set photo upload quality to "best", it works fine uploading the 16mp image on OneDrive. Are you sure you are connected to wifi? Otherwise it will not upload the high quality image until you connect to wifi. Not sure what to say on Dropbox, I don't use it.
I can view/download the 16mp image on Onedrive no problem. 5376 x 3024
Unless I am missing the question?

jmaudi0

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
This doesn't solve your backing up the high resolution photo though if you want it to be automatic.
If I set photo upload quality to "best", it works fine uploading the 16mp image on OneDrive. Are you sure you are connected to wifi? Otherwise it will not upload the high quality image until you connect to wifi. Not sure what to say on Dropbox, I don't use it.
I can view/download the 16mp image on Onedrive no problem. 5376 x 3024
Unless I am missing the question?

are you sure your OneDrive back up is 16MP? Mine is still only backing up the 5MP image when i set the quality to "best" and yes I am on wifi.

the only way I can get to the 16MP images is by plugging the phone into my comp as Kebero stated above.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site

Multiply 3072x1728 = 5,308,416. The 16MP will be 5376x3024=16,257,024.

If the file has the word "pro" (i.e. WP_20140502_06_21_50_Pro.jpg) in it, it is the 16MP photo that was uploaded. Be aware that OneDrive only uploads the hires image via WiFi. If you are shooting using RAW capture (DNG) be aware that the DNG is NOT uploaded automatically, AND you will need a RAW converter such as Adobe Lightroom or Apple Aperture to view and edit the hires DNG after its downloaded to a PC or laptop.

As for Dropbox, I can't help you much on that since I don't use Dropbox. I have 100GB (free for one year) of OneDrive storage so I'm don't need Dropbox. If you are interested in getting the one year of free 100GB OneDrive storage go to Bing Rewards. You can Bing your way to 100 credits within a week.

I hope this helps.

Kebero

May 26, 2011
Visit site
The high res photo includes "high_res" in the name. Having "pro" by itself only means you used the Nokia app. Only the 5mp image gets uploaded.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
The high res photo includes "high_res" in the name. Having "pro" by itself only means you used the Nokia app. Only the 5mp image gets uploaded.

I just took a photo using 16:9 JPEG 5MP + 16MP and automatically it uploaded the 16MP to OneDrive and the file name did NOT have hires in it. It uploaded the 16MP but NOT the 5MP.

If you are shooting DNG the 5MP lowres JPG will upload but NOT the 16MP (or 19MP if you are 4:3) DNG version.

Kebero

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Connect your phone to your computer. Look in your pictures directory. Take a look at the file names and their sizes. Compare that to what is in OneDrive.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo