I have the Incipio feather case. I had been removing the case to wireless charge my Icon on my Nokia Portable Wireless Charging Plate DC-50. It is a PITA taking off and putting back on the case, and probably not good for the longevity of the case either. I was looking fruitlessly for another case that would permit wireless charging through it. I was surprised to see that the Icon would charge with the Feather case on Maybe this is no surprise to anyone else, and works with all cases. However, since I've learned a lot from the forums, I thought I should share with info for those who may not be aware of it.
    05-01-2014 01:03 PM
    While it will charge through the case just fine, the Icon's user manual does specifically say not to charge through a case... But you can do whatever you'd like.
    05-01-2014 01:44 PM
    I wonder, does a 3rd party create a charger that has more power that can go through thick cases (or tables, etc) ?

Even though they dont suggest it, it should work as long as the case is not too thick. Only possable downfall is it could possably take longer to charge and the longer the distance the lower the charge.
    05-02-2014 12:15 PM
    The Qi standard is rated up to 4cm (1.5in). So a case SHOULD not effect charging, unless the case has a significant amount of ferrous (iron) material in it. A case that is only a few millimeters thick like an Incipio case won't effect the charging. I have an Incipio Dual Pro and I have no issues charging.

That being said, not all Qi wireless chargers are not created equal. Like their wired brethren the amount of power the charger outputs makes a differences. All of my Qi chargers are Nokia made and I have not had any problems. Third party chargers can be hit or miss, so if you are looking at a third party option, look at the amount of power it is rated at.

Here is an article about how Qi works. It will give you a better insight into what is happening "under the hood", so to speak.

What is Wireless Battery Charging | Inductive Technology | Tutorial
    05-02-2014 02:05 PM
    I've been using Nokia wireless charger with my Icon and Otterbox Defender. It's been working fine, and even if it wasn't, there is no way I'm trying to take this case off any more than I need to. It's impossible to get off.
    05-02-2014 07:38 PM
    my nokia charger charges through any case I have ever tried. my off brand cheap deal site charger is much more finicky when there is a case.
    05-02-2014 08:05 PM
    I have my phone in a bookcase wallet and it charges just fine on my Nokia charging pad.
    05-02-2014 08:27 PM
    I have the Nokia Charging Plate and charge my Lumia 928 with it. I have a white silicon gel case and it charges fine. HOWEVER, since the case is white and only a few weeks old, I noticed that in certain spots, the case is turning a light tan. I am wondering if the heat from the plate is making the silicon turn color. Just curious.
    05-13-2014 03:21 PM
    The Qi standard is rated up to 4cm (1.5in). So a case SHOULD not effect charging, unless the case has a significant amount of ferrous (iron) material in it. A case that is only a few millimeters thick like an Incipio case won't effect the charging. I have an Incipio Dual Pro and I have no issues charging.

That being said, not all Qi wireless chargers are not created equal. Like their wired brethren the amount of power the charger outputs makes a differences. All of my Qi chargers are Nokia made and I have not had any problems. Third party chargers can be hit or miss, so if you are looking at a third party option, look at the amount of power it is rated at.

Here is an article about how Qi works. It will give you a better insight into what is happening "under the hood", so to speak.

What is Wireless Battery Charging | Inductive Technology | Tutorial
    1.5" ? Can you name 1 QI charger, don't care who makes it where you can take your phone and hold it MORE than a inch away and it still charge ? I could get away with about 1/2 an inch but, not anything more. This would be why it should work through MOST cases.

I was hoping someone made a more powerful charger than the Nokia ones (that is all I have), I was hoping to make the phones charge through different devices (night stand, office desk, etc) with out having to do surgery to the item I want to use it with.
    05-13-2014 07:55 PM
    I have the Incipio feather case. I had been removing the case to wireless charge my Icon on my Nokia Portable Wireless Charging Plate DC-50. It is a PITA taking off and putting back on the case, and probably not good for the longevity of the case either. I was looking fruitlessly for another case that would permit wireless charging through it. I was surprised to see that the Icon would charge with the Feather case on Maybe this is no surprise to anyone else, and works with all cases. However, since I've learned a lot from the forums, I thought I should share with info for those who may not be aware of it.
    Many of us have the advantage on you, judging by your 39 posts. A year and a half ago when wireless charging was new, we went through this, and there are probably many old threads about it. Myself, I was using a Lumia 822 with a Trident case (about as protective as an Otterbox defender, but not quite as bulky) with wireless charging. I had an Otterbox for a while, but I think I sold it before I got the DT-900s (or is it 901? I can never keep them straight). Anyway, yes, as you've discovered the charger works with a case.

I wonder, does a 3rd party create a charger that has more power that can go through thick cases (or tables, etc) ?

Even though they dont suggest it, it should work as long as the case is not too thick. Only possable downfall is it could possably take longer to charge and the longer the distance the lower the charge.
    I don't know the answer to your question, but I can tell you that I've got a shelf for my monitors at work (two 24" widescreens connected to a laptop), and I routed out the bottom of the shelf so I could put a wireless charger under it. The wood is between 1/4" and 1/8" thick where I routed it out, and I use it with the case. I was using it with the 928 with a Poetic Atmosphere, but now I'm on an icon with a Feather. Here's the video:
    http://forums.windowscentral.com/nok...tm#post1999952
    05-13-2014 08:13 PM
    I think it says not to charge through cases because of the heat factor in Qi, could damage a case that can't take that kind of heat and in the process damage the phone, I charge through skinomi tech skin on my phone because I don't like cases but its 3M material which is used to protect the front of space shuttles from heat and damage so it doesn't effect it.
    ThatLeoneGuy likes this.
    05-13-2014 11:24 PM
    I think it says not to charge through cases because of the heat factor in Qi, could damage a case that can't take that kind of heat and in the process damage the phone, I charge through skinomi tech skin on my phone because I don't like cases but its 3M material which is used to protect the front of space shuttles from heat and damage so it doesn't effect it.
    Hmmm.... If it protects the space shuttle from heat, then your last statement, "it doesn't [s]effect[/s] affect it" is false. Protecting the space shuttle from heat means insulating it to keep the heat of friction from the speed of the shuttle through the atmosphere. If it is an insulator, then it is keeping the heat generated in charging inside the phone, quite the opposite of what is desired. Granted, the effect will be minimal, but it definitely has an effect.

*In the Navy, I was a nuclear power plant operator, so heat transfer is something that I definitely have some idea of how it works.
    05-15-2014 12:09 PM
    Just as an FYI. I found that not all cases will allow you to charge wirelessly. My wife has a GS3 with a Qi charging added after market. With her Otterbox case, it charged just fine on the Nokia DT-900 plates we have. Then my daughter and I got her a new case for it and when she's using it, it won't charge via Qi. The charging indicator on the plate just blinks rapidly. Evidently, there is something within the plastic that is interfering with the magnetic fields and preventing it from charging.

I have an Incipio Dual Pro and another, thinner, gel case for my Icon and neither cause any charging issues. I'm not entirely sure why my wife's case prevents wireless charging.
    05-16-2014 01:12 PM
    I don't know the answer to your question, but I can tell you that I've got a shelf for my monitors at work (two 24" widescreens connected to a laptop), and I routed out the bottom of the shelf so I could put a wireless charger under it. The wood is between 1/4" and 1/8" thick where I routed it out, and I use it with the case. I was using it with the 928 with a Poetic Atmosphere, but now I'm on an icon with a Feather. Here's the video:
    http://forums.windowscentral.com/nok...tm#post1999952
    Yea, saw your video, cool. Does anyone make a more powerful charger that can go through 1-1.5" thick items ? I would hate to route out something or I have some factory built stuff (very nice stuff), that I would like to avoid cutting it up if I could. If it could go through a thicker item, I could duct tape or glue a charger and it could work...

There has to be a item that can do this, maybe a bigger coil ?
    05-16-2014 08:59 PM
    1.5" ? Can you name 1 QI charger, don't care who makes it where you can take your phone and hold it MORE than a inch away and it still charge ? I could get away with about 1/2 an inch but, not anything more. This would be why it should work through MOST cases.

I was hoping someone made a more powerful charger than the Nokia ones (that is all I have), I was hoping to make the phones charge through different devices (night stand, office desk, etc) with out having to do surgery to the item I want to use it with.
    No. That is because devices that can charge at 4cm away are generally not for consumer use. The devices designed for smart phone use are relatively low powered on purpose. The electrical charge induced by the magnetic field is not a perfect 1 for 1 conversion. Some of the electricity produced is converted to heat because of the resistance of the copper coils used. If they were to up the power of the magnetic field, you up the power produced, thereby increasing the amount of heat produced. Also the further away from the charging plate, the weaker the magnetic field. It has something to do with inverses and such. I don't know all of the math.

There is some work going on to produce more powerful Qi chargers designed for tablets. But, I haven't seen any commercially available as of yet. Also, Qi Wireless is working on the ability to charge a device up to 15ft away.

DCRS Powers Devices Over 15 Feet Away - Qi Wireless Charging
    05-16-2014 10:40 PM
    Yea, saw your video, cool. Does anyone make a more powerful charger that can go through 1-1.5" thick items ? I would hate to route out something or I have some factory built stuff (very nice stuff), that I would like to avoid cutting it up if I could. If it could go through a thicker item, I could duct tape or glue a charger and it could work...

There has to be a item that can do this, maybe a bigger coil ?
    @DavidinCT

Here's a device that may interest you. A table lamp with Qi wireless charging built in. I'm not sure how much desktop space you have though.

LED table lamp qi wirelessly charges devices - Qi Wireless Charging
    DavidinCT and hopmedic like this.
    05-16-2014 11:22 PM
    @DavidinCT

Here's a device that may interest you. A table lamp with Qi wireless charging built in. I'm not sure how much desktop space you have though.

LED table lamp qi wirelessly charges devices - Qi Wireless Charging
    Thanks, looking for a charger that can go through a 1-2" think piece of wood....Something more powerful...I'm sure it's possible to build...
    05-17-2014 11:45 AM
    Check out Helios. They have Qi transmitters designed to be embedded/attached to office furniture.

Helios Leggett & Platt, Incorporated
    DavidinCT and hopmedic like this.
    05-17-2014 06:36 PM