Anyone Switch from a iPhone 5/5S?

bgl321

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Thinking about giving the try but trying to find some feedback from former iPhone users. I've have an iPhone since VZW released the 4 (trying different Androids in between). Currently have the 5S. I've never had a WP. Wife and kids all have iPhones/iPods so no iMessage is one concern. Anyway, if there are any former iPhone users who've switched to the Icon, I would love to hear your feedback. Thanks!

ricbon

May 5, 2012
Visit site
see what apps you use the most and see if WP has them and then check how often they have been upated becuase even though we have the apps some are not updated as often as on IOS.

bgl321

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
There are many of us. What's your main concern(s)?

I guess my main concern is going from, what's been for me, a flawless OS. I know what I have with iOS but am intrigued to try something new and really like the look of W8.1. Not a huge app guy. I use mostly the basics: email, texting, photos, Facebook, twitter, Sports, GPS. Being able to go to an Apple store if I do have any issues is nice... No Microsoft store near me. Also not being able to iMessage my 2 kids is a concern too.

Last edited:

speedfreak1187

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
I guess my main concern is going from, what's been for me, a flawless OS. I know what I have with iOS but am intrigued to try something new and really like the look of W8.1. Not a huge app guy. I use mostly the basics: email, texting, photos, Facebook, twitter, Sports, GPS. Being able to go to an Apple store if I do have any issues is nice... No Microsoft store near me. Also not being able to iMessage my 2 kids is a concern to.

just use Skype or WhatsApp to replace iMessage. If you use the basics you will be fine with the app selection. I Was a windows phone 7 user and one app I needed is finally here

explosive0

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
just use Skype or WhatsApp to replace iMessage. If you use the basics you will be fine with the app selection. I Was a windows phone 7 user and one app I needed is finally here
If you think the current implementation of Skype/WhatsApp can replace iMessage, you've never used iMessage.

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I guess my main concern is going from, what's been for me, a flawless OS. I know what I have with iOS but am intrigued to try something new and really like the look of W8.1. Not a huge app guy. I use mostly the basics: email, texting, photos, Facebook, twitter, Sports, GPS. Being able to go to an Apple store if I do have any issues is nice... No Microsoft store near me. Also not being able to iMessage my 2 kids is a concern too.

IDK man. as much as we here being fans of WP and want to invite people over I think in your case, since your needs is so dependent on apple exclusives, you should stick with iOS.
the iMessage thing is a pretty big deal if your family doesn't have SMS.

speedfreak1187

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
I have had several iPhone including the 5s, and I used iMessage on every one that had it. iMessage is a lot more convenient but what's app does work over WiFi if you don't have service

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

explosive0

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I have had several iPhone including the 5s, and I used iMessage on every one that had it. iMessage is a lot more convenient but what's app does work over WiFi if you don't have service

Posted via Windows Phone Central App
iMessage works over WiFi only, also. That's why you can receive iMessages on an iPad or MacBook.

MA83

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
I never really used iMessage much because I didn't have any family or friends with an iPhone. So, I use Skype anyways. As for general functionality, I've found WP8 to be the most bug/glich free OS I've ever used. An app may act up, but that happens on iOS and Android as well. But for general functionality, I have yet to have an issue. My wife has had the 928 for about a year now and I had a 520 for several months before finally getting the Icon. I'm was blown away by how smooth the OS operated on the 520. Now that I have an Icon, I'm certain I won't need a new phone for a while.

Alligator42

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
My family switched. The two ecosystems are very different. You will love some Microsoft things and find a few flaws as well. If you think critically, you will find the same is true about iOS.

If you expect it to be the same, switching will not feel right. If you are open to new experiences, then you will love Windows Phone. When I switched about six months ago to a Nokia 925, I realized that I really like this phone and have no regrets. In fact, I also gave up a MacBook Pro and switched to a Surface Pro 2 as well. I'm very happy with everything now and now realize how much I was missing before.

radmanvr

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
I have the 8.1 preview on my icon. No news on official release. Although I did receive an email from Microsoft asking me if I am ready to update. So my guess is soon?

Jimmie Lee

May 5, 2014
Visit site
I've never had an iPhone, iPad, iPod, or iAnthing:), but it seems like you just need to get as much info as you can on the phone you're thinking about switching to and comparing the info. I never got into Apple phones because I simply don't like the way they look, regardless of model. Their home screen looks like an unattractive desktop with a lot of icons on it, and I like a nicely organized or empty desktop with no icons. I held an Apple phone and pretended it was mine, but I wasn't feeling it. It's just a matter of taste. I kept all of my music on Zunes, which is why I fell in love with Windows Phones. Now, Nokia Music is on Windows Phones and I like it, but the look of WP still remains. I haven't seen every phone in the world, but I do like how a WP can be personalized. Love, love the titles. I'm not an app person either, but, eventually, whatever apps an iPhone has, a WP, I would think, would eventually get. Maybe not all, but, again, I'm not an app person. The basics can be done on my phone and it look better than any iPhone, but I am biased. LOL. I too noticed that the 'never' option for the screen timing out is gone on my Lumia Icon and there's no glance feature, but those aren't deal breakers for me. Besides, maybe they will come later down the road. If not, I will live:) I do understand that if the screen times out during use for navigation or other things where the screen staying lit would be most helpful, it can be irritating. In cases like that, I think MS needs to fix that. For me, however, I use another portable gps. If you have to stay with an Apple phone, you should, if all signs point to staying. Although, at the very least, you can get a WPhone, trying during your trial period, and return it before your trial period if you don't like it. Good luck.

bgl321

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I've never had an iPhone, iPad, iPod, or iAnthing:), but it seems like you just need to get as much info as you can on the phone you're thinking about switching to and comparing the info. I never got into Apple phones because I simply don't like the way they look, regardless of model. Their home screen looks like an unattractive desktop with a lot of icons on it, and I like a nicely organized or empty desktop with no icons. I held an Apple phone and pretended it was mine, but I wasn't feeling it. It's just a matter of taste. I kept all of my music on Zunes, which is why I fell in love with Windows Phones. Now, Nokia Music is on Windows Phones and I like it, but the look of WP still remains. I haven't seen every phone in the world, but I do like how a WP can be personalized. Love, love the titles. I'm not an app person either, but, eventually, whatever apps an iPhone has, a WP, I would think, would eventually get. Maybe not all, but, again, I'm not an app person. The basics can be done on my phone and it look better than any iPhone, but I am biased. LOL. I too noticed that the 'never' option for the screen timing out is gone on my Lumia Icon and there's no glance feature, but those aren't deal breakers for me. Besides, maybe they will come later down the road. If not, I will live:) I do understand that if the screen times out during use for navigation or other things where the screen staying lit would be most helpful, it can be irritating. In cases like that, I think MS needs to fix that. For me, however, I use another portable gps. If you have to stay with an Apple phone, you should, if all signs point to staying. Although, at the very least, you can get a WPhone, trying during your trial period, and return it before your trial period if you don't like it. Good luck.

Thanks for sharing your experience/input. I was already thinking about what you suggested... Go buy at retail with no intention of keeping, return after 14 days and then if I find myself missing it I will go back and get it. Thanks again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)