Considering switching from android. Concerned about maps .

thefanfx

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Hey

Nokia maps or Microsoft Drive+ or whatever is called now remain as quite good navigation software since nokia brought Navteq company long long time ago :) 6-7years ago.... but i use it in Offline mode only and so far so good in Europe , in US.... no clue
As others explained you can use many 3rd apps to serve your needs ... it's a matter of how adaptive you are.... and in your case when apps and etc is not your force it can be time consuming but still achievable ....
I recommend you to buy one cheap WP8 8.1 model and use it as second phone or a wife phone .... if you like it ... you can go extreme :) .... its up to you

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
What I found is the Nokia and Here maps tend to not always pick the shortest routes. Google maps still have that better. When driving together, we use my wife's Android for her maps.

Otherwise, as a directionally Impaired person, I am happy to have Here maps. I am used to it and trust it.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
That's one thing I definitely do not miss... seems like it was only right about 30% of the time.

HERE Maps shows the destination as a checkered flag bubble and the arrow at the bottom of the bubble indicates left or right. I am okay with that bit spoken left or right destination would be nicer.

danwanna

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
I've used both and my main complaint is the first turn when starting out. I'm not sure if it is just an issue with me and how I read the phone or something software figuring out which direction I am going.

Google Maps (or my cars built in GPS) seemed to do a better job of figuring out where I was (likely in a parking lot) and gave me the correct first step. For some reason, with Here Drive+ I seem to take the wrong first turn more often than if I just flipped a coin. It does a great job of quickly rerouting me to get back on the road but it is a bit frustrating.

I am a consultant as well and travel all over the US and Europe, so I am often completely clueless as to where I am going. I think I just need to play with it a bit when I am in my car and either know where I am going or have my built in GPS as a double check. Maybe there is a queue I am missing in the UI.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
On the positive side for HERE Maps, I got around in Ireland without a single issue by downloading the Ireland map in offline mode a couple of months ago. That is something you cannot do with Google maps.

EwingMCSE

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I have a Lumia Icon with the 8.1 OS update installed. I also have a 2012 Ford Mustang which has MS Sync in it so Nokia HERE+ maps works amazing. The maps (minus streetview) are great and the voice navigation comes through my car's speaker system. My radio will cut out, the navigation voice will issue it's update and then the radio will turn back on.

If maps are your only concern then you should definitely get a Windows Phone. It's no concern at all.

Tansen

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
I had similar concerns not to long ago, but I've been WP8 for almost a year now and it hasn't really given me any problems. Offline maps are a big help when driving between cities with no internet (something that google maps on a GS3 almost screwed me on once) and even a trip to Austria was very easy with Nokia Maps. Even the default maps is very smooth and thorough.

Akhilesh Bhambhani

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
You can check out this App called Google Maps by Clarity. Don't know how it works and all. But I am from India there are several locations which wont show up on here maps but when I search them on official Google maps OR this app it shows up just fine gives proper directions and built in navigation its good. So is HERE maps ao don't worry :)

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Longtime android user here (current Lumia Icon) - Here maps navigation is better than Google's if you know the address you are going to. If you don't know the address, the points of interest - ie. I live in NYC, and if im looking for an Icon Parking garage (a specific management company), the results are way better on Google, in which case, I can bing search, and get results, and then input address into here maps - this is a very fine detail, as this is the only thing ive ever had an issue finding on HERE. That being said, the navigation ui, and the offline mode, etc. are so much better than googles offerings. Streetview is not available on HERE, but not a dealbreaker for me. There are apps that plug in googles maps that you can get streetview if you really need it.

MA83

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
I loved Google Navigation, but I've found the combination of Bing Maps with Here+ Navigation to be just as good or superior. I actually just listen to the navigation instructions and don't even bother with looking at the maps and I get to where I need to go. I use Bing Maps because I've found it to be more accurate and offer better suggestions when looking for general items like a restaurant, hair salon, etc. When you find a location you want, you just touch it, touch the drive option on the next screen that comes up, and Here+ navigation will do the rest in getting you there.

radmanvr

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Interesting reading through everyone's input but from my personal experience. HERE maps are more accurate however it was a one timer and I did not test consistency.

I have 2 sisters, one with a Droid and the other with iPhone. I am not sure what iPhone uses for maps but both of their phones led them to a destination that was no longer there while HERE led us to the correct location. The restaurant moved just a few blocks down.

As for the rest of you guys saying destination on left or right. Its actually more simple than that, You have to reach back into your primitive days or land navigation course (if you took one). Just pay attention to the address. Even and Odd number addresses are always opposite of each other.

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
I also miss google maps saying "destination is on the right/left"

Other than that I've no complaints.
This is my only issue with the Nokia map offerings. Coming from google I never realized how much I relied on this until I tried it on my icon. My workaround is to have the address I'm looking for to know whether it is an odd or even number so I can position myself on the correct side of the street. It can be a PITA at times if in a strange place with heavy traffic and turning from one busy street onto another with your destination coming up quick. Which side do I need?? I can't count how many times I had to turn around. Google is awesome and always told me the correct side to be on. Its really the only thing I don't like about the Nokia maps system. Waze is the same. The 3rd party google maps from the wp store is mostly crap.

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
I am considering switching from android. I have a 2year old Motorola droid maxx that has slowed to a near stop.
Please advise.

Thanks
Jeff in Ohio
It helps to clear your cache on a regular basis on a DROID. I used/still have a DROID razor Maxx over 2 years old and its still as quick as the day I got it. I clear the cache usually monthly. Never had any slow down issues with it. There are other tricks and apps to get rid of that are easily done and will give your DROID a good tune up in the speed dept. I'm going to presume you've tried these things. Not trying to put you off WP, but google maps it doesn't have and the maps it does have are just plain not up to what android and google maps can do. I've been taken to the wrong place by as much as being 6 blocks to a mile and a half off. There seems to be more of a learning curve using these maps over google maps. Its really my only complaint of the WP OS. Its not google maps! (thats for sure):shocked:

Markham Ranja

Banned
Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
A lot depends on where you are and where you plan to go.

Here/Bing maps is good for the US and most of Europe. In Asia, it's a different story. Google has far far better POI data and updates much faster too. In India, for example, there are roads and buildings which have been around for 2 years and still don't appear on WP. There's Pakistan, where major cities are completely blank. There's Japan, FFS, where WP is again completely useless w.r.t. maps. Same with South Korea.

Then there's the question of what you do with a map app. I personally do not drive and have never owned a car (matter of fact, I never learned to drive). So for me it's more about walking around, public transit, just seeing what's around me wherever I happen to be. So if you're the type that would search for "restaurants", i.e. looking for places to go nearby, I'd stick to Android and Google Maps. On the other hand, if you need it to drive around to specific addresses or long distance where you might not have data, do get the WP.

Akhilesh Bhambhani

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
A lot depends on where you are and where you plan to go.

Here/Bing maps is good for the US and most of Europe. In Asia, it's a different story. Google has far far better POI data and updates much faster too. In India, for example, there are roads and buildings which have been around for 2 years and still don't appear on WP. There's Pakistan, where major cities are completely blank. There's Japan, FFS, where WP is again completely useless w.r.t. maps. Same with South Korea.

Then there's the question of what you do with a map app. I personally do not drive and have never owned a car (matter of fact, I never learned to drive). So for me it's more about walking around, public transit, just seeing what's around me wherever I happen to be. So if you're the type that would search for "restaurants", i.e. looking for places to go nearby, I'd stick to Android and Google Maps. On the other hand, if you need it to drive around to specific addresses or long distance where you might not have data, do get the WP.

Download Google Maps by Clarity. Should fix your problem of buildings not showing up. :)

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I can't say how well Here+ works in your area, but in mine it works amazing and I would have no reason to consider using Google's service.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
The offline maps capability is great - went to Europe and downloaded the countries before travelling which gave me free, up to date sat nav over there.

HERE Drive+ has always got me to my destination which is what counts, and has a pretty accurate trip time with travel delay too.

anon(8555314)

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
With WP 8.1 you can choose your default map app which is automatically opened when you tell Cortana to navigate to ____. I'm not sure how many options there are on Windows Phone, but I've got: Here Drive+, Waze, gMaps or Windows Phone maps. The first three have voice navigation. So if you find that one doesn't work well in the area where you are, you do have other options. I've used mostly Here Drive and Waze and found them both to work fine for my needs. As noted you can download maps, which is helpful.

Nokia seems VERY committed to their Here Map technologies so I'd expect this to continue to get even better over time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs