Bike Mount

ynotbike

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
For anyone with a motorcycle ( or in my case a Vespa) or bike and needs a good mount take a look at the ram mount RAM-HOL-PD3 (I didn't put a link because I'm just trying to share info, not make $), fits perfectly and is rock solid over bumps.

BnTNbwACQAAFc29.jpg

PS: stay away from the aqua box's, I've been through 2.

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Huh.. I've been putting a lot of thought into making a "mount" so I don't need to keep my 8X in my pocket when I ride (bike, not bicycle).

I almost always ride with my ear buds in. And while its rare, I do use Nav on occasion. I've been thinking more of a strap/net to just slip it in on top of the tank. Also been coming up with a Bluetooth speaker setup that is mobile, easy to remove & doesn't cost an arm and a leg. We should work on something together.

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I ride a Honda Rebel 250, its quick, agile, extremely reliable and I get like 80mpg. Great around town bike. Decent on short highway romps. Have had it up to 82mph on the interstate, with a tailwind. 8). I used to ride a Suzuki TL1000S. Now THAT was a bike. WHEW!! 90 degree V-Twin, RAM Air, Electronic Fuel Injection, 6 speed.. Hit 145mph on that baby in 4th uphill with a big booby girl on back. Had to lay off the gas only because the wind pushed my glasses and eyelashes too far in blurring my vision too much. Damn that was fun!!!!!

And my phone is a Windows Phone 8X by HTC, not a Lumia. Been waiting to see what comes out in the next few months before I consider considering a new device.

Aredubu

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
What do you ride?

and does anyone else use their lumia on a motorcycle?

I do. I have a Suzuki TL1000S. I use a bluetooth speaker system, an UClear HBC 100, to link up with my phone and listen to music while riding. I've used the phone a couple of times when my sons call me, but otherwise just for music. I keep the phone inside of my chest pocket of my jacket.

Ranger391

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
What do you ride?

and does anyone else use their lumia on a motorcycle?

I have ride a Honda Goldwing and have the RAM mount the OP suggested. I'll certainly back up his claim. Been using it for several years with different phones and all have worked great. The top and bottom "fingers" are spaced differently so you can rotate if it happens to line up with headphone input and the side holders are also adjustable. This combination has let me use many different phones. Always rock solid.

Scott...

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
I'm actually interested in this bike mount but for a bicycle (not a motorcycle).

Does buying the RAM Mount have everything you need? How does it hook to the handlebars?

Can I use this also for my 521? I can't go 8 hours with my Icon when the Cycle Tracks GPS app is running in turn-by-turn full maps mode (yes, I can turn off the screen or run it in text only mode to save battery but the display is just so cool!). So I figured I can use the 521 half the time and the Icon half the time but is that possible (meaning can I do this easily and quickly when I'm far away from home)?

I need the ability to switch phones mid-ride with minimal downtime (as I bike for exercise).

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm actually interested in this bike mount but for a bicycle (not a motorcycle).

Does buying the RAM Mount have everything you need? How does it hook to the handlebars?

Can I use this also for my 521? I can't go 8 hours with my Icon when the Cycle Tracks GPS app is running in turn-by-turn full maps mode (yes, I can turn off the screen or run it in text only mode to save battery but the display is just so cool!). So I figured I can use the 521 half the time and the Icon half the time but is that possible (meaning can I do this easily and quickly when I'm far away from home)?

I need the ability to switch phones mid-ride with minimal downtime (as I bike for exercise).

Here's what I have:
http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-521/225708-5.htm#post2512856

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the help. I can't read the name of that mount. It'll fit the Icon and the 521? It only holds it by those 3 points of contact?
I ride a mountain bike and I also hit speeds of 35-40mph when I'm on the road (downhill of course). Do you think this will hold it in place?

And what phone is that?
The phone is a 925
Ummm...
The mount holds pretty good.
I would be wary if mountain biking hitting high speeds however.
Never lost a phone yet with my set-up tho...

Amazon.com: ANYCASE Universal iPhone Tripod Adapter - Fits iPhone 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, iPods, and Most Smartphones: Cell Phones & Accessories
Amazon.com: Minoura Handlebar Camera Mount (22-29mm): Sports & Outdoors

521 on the bars in a case...

Attachments

• WP_20140430_004.jpg
    WP_20140430_004.jpg
    535.9 KB · Views: 4

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site

so the part that connects to the handle bars is the RAM EZ-Strap? and then the part that holds the phone is the Universal X-Grip?

I watched the video on the RAM EZ-Strap and it looks awesome. I like that I can put it on and take it off easily.

The Universal X-Grip makes me a little nervous. I do love the fact that it doesn't cover the camera (so maybe I can use my Icon as a video recorder during mountain biking. It's just that I go over some pretty rough terrain and bumps and jumps. They showed a vibration video but that's more akin to riding down a street or on a motorcycle than mountain biking. I like how I can easily switch between my 521 and Icon as well.

I think the RAM mount above would be more stable but it covers the back and I don't think it's compatible with the RAM EZ-Strap. And it's not as quick for switching between phones.

EDIT:

after reading more reviews on the EZ Strap, I'm not going to get it. Yes, it seems super convenient but it seems to slip a lot which I know can be very annoying (one of my headlights on my bike kept slipping due to a poor mount).

I'm going to go with this (RAM Handlebar Rail Mount with Zinc Coated U-Bolt Base and Universal X-Grip? Cell / iPhone Holder Product Number: RAM-B-149Z-UN7U):

It's kind of ugly and bulky. But the Amazon reviewers don't mention slippage as much as with the EZ Strap. It's more expensive though. I'll let you guys know how it works. I'm mainly getting this for my GPS routing. However, if it's as good as it seems, I might actually try making some videos (Go-Pro style) with my Icon. Let's see how the Icon video recording is in an action setting...

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos