07-25-2014 09:47 PM
50 12
tools
    I didn't have the nightmares with sales reps that most people seemed to have. Back when I asked for my 928, the rep said he hadn't used any Windows Phone handsets personally, but had heard great things about the OS and the phones themselves. He also said the app store was supposed to have great 3rd party support for the apps that aren't official and the store was growing every day. I was pleasantly surprised.
    05-22-2014 07:23 PM
    I picked up my icon a couple of days ago at a vzw store. The guy helping me was helpful and all he asked was do I like WP. I told him I go back and forth between different is systems and that 8.1 should be the best os when it comes out. I was tired of having to reboot my g2 and clearing the memory because it would lag. I had the 822, 928 and icon and never any lag .
    05-22-2014 08:07 PM
    At my local VZW store (Grapevine, TX) the salesman didn't care what phone I chose. He was fine with selling me my new Icon.
    05-23-2014 09:12 AM
    I've had very similar experiences OP, as have my 928-toting friends. Verizon has never been the pinnacle of customer service in my eyes at all. For one, I'm still stuck on a mildly defective ICON because they continue to send replacements with defective screens. I've given up for now. As for the obvious ignorance and steering from sales reps, I never had to experience that because I ordered online. The only remark I got was from the manager who himself had an enormous Note 3 (I personally left Sammy because of not being able to flash custom firmware anymore), and when I told him I was a student/developer he shut up quick. My friend, however, bought her 928 in-store and the rep hounded her about not purchasing an iPhone when she came in knowing exactly what she wanted to purchase.

TL;DR Verizon's customer service is great if you're not a WP user.
    05-23-2014 11:11 AM
    Reading these stories, I'm pretty sure Microsoft should take this into consideration about sales reps not wanting to sell their product. The sales rep to me was great and honest when I was having a
    Posted via the WPC App for Android!
    If MSFT doesn't know by now, they'll end up in the same boat as BlackBerry! BlackBerry assumed that every business customer would continue to support them for eons, and they kind of forgot to advertise properly and offer the same perks as the other platforms. I think MSFT forgets that salesmen and women are normally younger individuals, so the latest, coolest, most impressive device that's POPULAR is what's going to attract the salesmen /women (most of the time). They market the surface, but I haven't seen much advertising for WP besides from Nokia. The Nokia Lumia commercials are funny and they should continue this after the nokia/msft merger if they want to succeed as a competitive mobile OS. (I hope MSFT doesn't screw up all of nokias efforts that they put into WP!)
    05-23-2014 11:41 AM
    It wouldn't surprise me to see a much bigger marketing effort after 8.1 is officially rolled out and shipping on all new devices.
    05-23-2014 11:56 AM
    It wouldn't surprise me to see a much bigger marketing effort after 8.1 is officially rolled out and shipping on all new devices.
    Hope so.
    05-23-2014 12:20 PM
    No you're not alone. If I need any WP accessories or have any questions, I go to the local Microsoft Store or come here to WPCentral to get answers. Although, the Verizon guys here don't seem to be quite as inept or apathetic towards Windows Phones; mainly because I think they are happy that they can help a Verizon customer that has some questions. I guess, results may vary depending on where you are and what the local and regional managers are pushing.

Of course, it could just be that I'm in Hawaii and the people here are generally nicer, unless they are driving, then the Aloha ends when they get behind the wheel..especially downtown Honolulu.
    I'm with you on going to the Microsoft store. One opened up within a half hour of me and that's pretty much where I'm going from now on. Where I live Verizon sucks less signal wise but going into a store is always painful.
    05-23-2014 12:31 PM
    My favorite experience was the associate that told me about the new HTC Windows Phone with the Android Store built in!!! Lol. I refuted her claim and she told me she had just been trained in it that morning. Nothing I could say could convince her she was wrong. Even pointing to the chrome icon in the dummy didn't convince her. She also told me that people don't really like Windows Phone. It's a horrible seller and the ones people buy always get returned. People like her are the reason WP is not catching up. It's not a matter of features or power, it's the mindset of the sales associates in the stores.
    aximtreo and DatabaseMX like this.
    05-23-2014 12:37 PM
    I recently upgraded our two Droid phones to NLIs. My wife's Samsung Charge was a piece of junk since we got it three years ago (don't ask why we got it) but I'd been very happy with my HTC Incredible 2 except that the phone's microphone was going south. Both phones were approaching their three-year birthday, so my intention was to replace my bride's phone and I'd spend some more time looking before switching. Next issue was that I needed to keep my unlimited data on both lines--we've also got two feature phones that our daughters carry, and both of these phones had available upgrades. We traveled to the mainland last week, and hitting the Verizon store was priority #1 for me. I had done my research and knew that of the two available latest generation WPs, the Icon was the model I wanted. Not knocking the Samsung, but the Lumia had more positives in its column. So, I walked into the store and met with a salesman who admitted that he didn't know much about WPs, but would try to answer our questions. We played with the phones for a while, and the salesman excuses himself. 20 seconds later, he approaches and he has the local Nokia rep who just happened to be in the store. Nokia rep had WP8.1 on his Icon and demo'ed some of the upcoming changes. Having the Nokia rep sealed the deal for me--I told the salesman that we'll take 2 x NLIs and I can help my wife as she adjusts to the new technology. The salesman also took care to ensure that we kept our unlimited data, too.
    After carrying it for a week now, I can say that I'm pretty impressed. It does everything that my Droid did, but the interface is clean. I'm missing a couple of apps (one solitaire game in particular) but nothing that is life changing. Now that I'm back in Hawaii, I may have to visit the MS Store in the mall to see if there is anything more to learn/add/enhance this device.
    peacefulberry likes this.
    05-23-2014 10:37 PM
    Nothing to do with Verizon or even US for that matter, but my experience of buying a phone at Telekom Slovenia was first, I did my research at home, settled for 925 (I couldn't afford the 1020, and I liked it somewhat more than 920), I was decided about WP already, my wife's 720 convinced me with it's performance and smoothness, I went to the store, said 'I want the white 925', I signed the contract, payed and left. No comments about android, WP, iPhone, anything. From all the comments it looks like sales people in Verizon (and many others) really care more about pushing their own personal opinions on buyers then doing their job. Then again, I rarely go to the store to browse, I browse at home on the internet already, or make several trips to stores before actually buying something, sales people mostly can't answer 99% of my questions.
    wrm1 likes this.
    05-24-2014 02:45 AM
    Was just in a Verizon corporate store, I was picking up a wireless charger. A woman was in the store with her elderly parents to get them a new phone. I was looking at the Lumia Icon while waiting to be checked out so I gave her my opinion. I told her my wife and I like it phones but apps can be slow to come out and smaller businesses probably won't support it for awhile. As I was checking out she asked the sales rep for his opinion. He flat out said it was bad and then said it had taken Microsoft years to catch up to where IOS was when it came out. I just about busted out laughing. Unfortunately the old man got an iPhone.
    06-03-2014 07:23 PM
    I switched from AT&T and an iPhone 3GS to an Icon five days ago. I called one of their corporate stores and was put on endless hold after asking if they had any Icons in stock. I called the other corporate store in town and was told that they had them and we could come in and pick up our new phones that afternoon (my wife upgraded to an iPhone 5s). The rep was really knowledgeable about Windows Phone and she said that even though the Windows App store doesn't have all of the official apps that some people might be looking for, they have third party apps that are even better. She actually seemed excited about Windows Phone, which was nice.

As far as customer service goes, Verizon has beaten AT&T so far in my experience. We had to call tech support when my wife's iPhone wouldn't make calls after activation and they were friendly and helpful, which is the opposite of what I've dealt with at AT&T.
    06-04-2014 01:23 PM
    I'm on the AT&T side -actually using Net10 on my att branded off contract L920, quite happily I might add. However I'm interested in upgrading to the new 930 when/if it comes out. Since it looks similar to the Icon I thought I'd pop into a Verizon store to check out the Icon. There's only 1 Verizon store in Miami (downtown area anyway, I don't get out to the burbs or malls much) I went in and looked around, no Windows phones on display at all. Salesman asked to help, I mentioned I just wanted to check out the Lumia Icon, he practically laughed saying they didn't have any because Windows Phones just "aren't popular". He then told me that he had seen one and played with it when they first came out, and that it was "really boxy" in a smug condescending tone as his way of talking me out of any interest in it. Not having a good comeback ready I only managed a "yeah, so's the new iPhone" while exiting the store.
    The most frustrating part of this experience for me is trying to figure out why Microsoft/Nokia has these exclusives?? If Verizon doesn't want to promote the Icon, why would they want an exclusive? They don't have exclusives with iPhones or Samsung GS4 or whatever. If they don't want it why would they care if ATT or TMo had them?
    06-05-2014 11:49 AM
    I had a similar experience at my local VZW store as others have described, the windows phone(s) were stuck back in a far corner where you could hardly see them, no Icons or even 928 units on the floor to look at they only had one HTC 8X that didn't even have power and I asked if they had a Icon I could look at and the salesperson told me they had none or had he even seen one yet

As I was walking around looking at phones the sales associate came up to me and made sure to mention how Windows phones are not user friendly and have a lot of bugs and problems and then he proceeded to tell me how wonderful the new Samsung S5 and Motorola devices were and how great and user friendly androids are

I have given up going to local VZW stores and just do my ordering from the online site so I don't have to deal with the stupidity

It is amazing to me that Windows phone has gotten any traction at all seeing the way it is presented and portrayed by sales associates in Verizon stores
    Last edited by jazz70; 06-05-2014 at 05:32 PM.
    06-05-2014 04:41 PM
    Well sad stories. I have Icon as well but I don't live in USA. First expierence with USA region phone I get with Lumia 928. I loved it. I was really upset why that model not available in Europe? Finally Verizon release new flagship Icon. Since I seen first review, I love and I bought it in ebay. Looks more solid, bussiness class device. WP as system is more stable, fluid, user friendly. Why sales agents not interested to show WP devices? I bought for my wife Lumia 1020, my mom has 925. And at last half year my friends switch to WP devices from Android.
    06-05-2014 08:58 PM
    It's not just Verizon. When I originally signed up with T-Mobile the guy actually talked me out of the Windows phone. I ended up getting an iPhone and took it back about 4 days later and got the Windows phone. At that point I had never tried the Windows phone, so I ended up getting the 925. When they tried to get service the battery was completely dead so they made a few more "funny" comments about how they never sell so that's why its out of battery and a few other remarks. It worked fine when I got it home and charged but its irritating that's why the share of Windows in the market is so low thanks to these sales reps. Anyone that gets their hands on one loves them.

And that's why im in the ICON forum, going to pick one up today. Need to upgrade this bad boy!
    06-06-2014 09:26 AM
    Why don't try get retail device rather than carrier contract device? Trust me nokia lumia series was damn good
    06-06-2014 09:31 AM
    Verizon's customer support over the phone is stellar in my opinion. It's easy to get through to them and they are very knowledgeable and helpful. On the other hand, I have not been to a Verizon store and found anyone that had a clue as to what they were doing. They never seem to know what plans are available unless it's on a flyer laying on the counter. If I ask a question they pull out a tablet and go to the same website I can go to and search for an answer... uh, I can spend time searching the internet, I don't want to stand here and watch you do it. I've called ahead on release day and asked them if they have a phone yet, they say yes plenty, and when I get there another person will say "I don't think we have those yet".
    M L likes this.
    06-06-2014 10:07 AM
    I'm in the process of returning my Icon. I found that the audio jack only played sound out of the right side. I went into the store Saturday and got through with them pretty quickly and they were super nice about everything. I got my "certified like-new" phone today.

Something that gets on my nerves about the return, and this isn't just Verizon or the Icon, but any electronics in general, is that you get a refurbished device when you get a replacement. I didn't buy a refurbished phone, so why would I want a refurbished one when mine is defective? I know it shouldn't matter, but it does aggravate me that I paid full price for a defective phone and then I get a used one as a replacement.
    07-15-2014 04:11 PM
    .... is that you get a refurbished device when you get a replacement......
    Exactly. This is probably the biggest scams in the cell phone industry. You are pretty much guaranteed to inherit someone else's problem!
    alowisney likes this.
    07-15-2014 04:22 PM
    I'm in the process of returning my Icon. I found that the audio jack only played sound out of the right side. I went into the store Saturday and got through with them pretty quickly and they were super nice about everything. I got my "certified like-new" phone today.

Something that gets on my nerves about the return, and this isn't just Verizon or the Icon, but any electronics in general, is that you get a refurbished device when you get a replacement. I didn't buy a refurbished phone, so why would I want a refurbished one when mine is defective? I know it shouldn't matter, but it does aggravate me that I paid full price for a defective phone and then I get a used one as a replacement.
    This is why I buy from the Microsoft Store.
    nasellok likes this.
    07-16-2014 09:40 AM
    This is why I buy from the Microsoft Store.
    Hell yeah. My Icon had a dead pixel in it and I got a brand new one, no hassle. Not only that, the employees in the Microsoft store are more fun to deal with since they are usually just as excited as you are for your new device.
    07-18-2014 11:57 AM
    Hell yeah. My Icon had a dead pixel in it and I got a brand new one, no hassle. Not only that, the employees in the Microsoft store are more fun to deal with since they are usually just as excited as you are for your new device.
    I love the employees at my local msft store. They're both friendly and helpful!
    07-20-2014 03:00 AM
    There's another disadvantage to going to the Verizon Store. Verizon charges tax based on the unsubsidized price. The Microsoft Store charges tax based on the contract price.

I first found this out with my first Verizon phone which was $99 with 2 year contract but the tax was over $50. My second Verizon phone was similar. But the Microsoft Store (as the employees will point this out) charges on the contract price so a $99 phone will have $8.25 or whatever your state sales tax is.
    Only in a few states, not every state. Mass and california come to mind.
    07-25-2014 09:47 PM
50 12