Verizon Store Experience

antonius138

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
So I am sure that I am not alone here, and Verizon's apparent disdain for Windows Phone is legendary but... I just had a pretty lousy experience at an official Verizon brick and mortar. I walked in and was greeted by a tablet carrying rep and she asked what she could help me with...I responded that my wife had accidentally left her Samsung Galaxy Nexus on the roof of her car and it went sailing and I needed to pick up a new phone. She then asked if I knew what I was looking for, and I said (this is important) that I wanted to pick up a Nokia Lumia Icon just like mine. The next words that came out of her mouth and body language were as follows: first the body language when I mentioned Nokia Lumia her body language changed to someone who had just received a full body cavity search, and then the words were: Oh really, huh, why would you want to get a Windows Phone? Are you sure that you don't want an Android or iPhone? I actually had to pause and compose myself for a minute...especially since I had stated just like mine only a few moments earlier. She then proceeded to go over to her docking station area and then made her second fun comment: We don't get a lot of people looking for Windows Phones. Body language was pure disgust. she then went and fumbled around and asked me a few times what color and that she only had white, then she found a black one. We go through the process and got the part about paying for the device and she tells me that she is looking for $178.99. I sort of choke as I already want to get out of the store as quickly as possible and she wanted me to get out of the store as quickly as possible as well. I then opened up the Verizon website and point to the $99 for 2yr contract. It was then explained that the $99 was an instant rebate only for online and that the in store price was mail in only. I promptly departed and guess have to get one at Costco or online.

I have heard from others that Verizon is not friendly to WP, but man this was over the top.

A.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
So I am sure that I am not alone here, and Verizon's apparent disdain for Windows Phone is legendary but... I just had a pretty lousy experience at an official Verizon brick and mortar. I walked in and was greeted by a tablet carrying rep and she asked what she could help me with...I responded that my wife had accidentally left her Samsung Galaxy Nexus on the roof of her car and it went sailing and I needed to pick up a new phone. She then asked if I knew what I was looking for, and I said (this is important) that I wanted to pick up a Nokia Lumia Icon just like mine. The next words that came out of her mouth and body language were as follows: first the body language when I mentioned Nokia Lumia her body language changed to someone who had just received a full body cavity search, and then the words were: Oh really, huh, why would you want to get a Windows Phone? Are you sure that you don't want an Android or iPhone? I actually had to pause and compose myself for a minute...especially since I had stated just like mine only a few moments earlier. She then proceeded to go over to her docking station area and then made her second fun comment: We don't get a lot of people looking for Windows Phones. Body language was pure disgust. she then went and fumbled around and asked me a few times what color and that she only had white, then she found a black one. We go through the process and got the part about paying for the device and she tells me that she is looking for $178.99. I sort of choke as I already want to get out of the store as quickly as possible and she wanted me to get out of the store as quickly as possible as well. I then opened up the Verizon website and point to the $99 for 2yr contract. It was then explained that the $99 was an instant rebate only for online and that the in store price was mail in only. I promptly departed and guess have to get one at Costco or online.

I have heard from others that Verizon is not friendly to WP, but man this was over the top.

A.

No you're not alone. If I need any WP accessories or have any questions, I go to the local Microsoft Store or come here to WPCentral to get answers. Although, the Verizon guys here don't seem to be quite as inept or apathetic towards Windows Phones; mainly because I think they are happy that they can help a Verizon customer that has some questions. I guess, results may vary depending on where you are and what the local and regional managers are pushing.

Of course, it could just be that I'm in Hawaii and the people here are generally nicer, unless they are driving, then the Aloha ends when they get behind the wheel..especially downtown Honolulu.

richard_rsp

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I had a different, but kinda similar experience today as well. My wife and I switched back to Verizon from AT&T (due to dropped calls and poor coverage where we needed it) and I picked up an Icon. The initial greeter was very nice (turns out he was the manager) and never said anything about WP... but the associate who actually rang me up was completely an Android man. He was talking about how he couldn't get into Windows Phone and how far it was behind. I asked him if he had tried WP 8.1, as it had caught the OS up with the rest. He admitted that he hadn't (which was at least honest of him). While waiting for set up, I showed him the cool stuff of 8.1 on my Lumia 925; afterwards, he actually said that he might have to give it a try as his next company phone (apparently they have to swap company phones every few months).

​Everyone was nice at my store, but Its amazing that customers have to DEMO the benefits of WP to Employees that are supposed to be selling these things... After they see how good WP is, they actually want to use it!

antonius138

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
I definitely think the mileage can vary, and she was courteous when needed, but just her body language and comments about WP were sort of shocking, espcially since she gets paid no matter what phone I buy...she must have had a few returns eat into her commision. I think that if Microsoft can market some side by side comparisons with WP8.1 features and how on par it is with Android and iOS...sort of like they did with the Macbook Pro and the Surface Pro 3 during this morning's launch then people might consider WP more.

A.

KennyJohnson

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
I picked up my Lumia Icon today and the guy couldn't have cared less about Windows Phone. He didn't try to sell me on Android or iOS but did bring up that the app selection on Windows Phone is terrible. I said that the apps I want are there and I'm not a big app guy. I just wanted a good camera and a bigger screen. My wife got the iPhone 5S so we aren't on one platform as a family.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
I don't think things will change with Verizon until MS and WP's gain market share and it starts to cost Verizon business. I truly am sticking with them at present because here in AZ, their signal strength is better than AT&T. My local Brick & Mortar doesn't even say a word when I go into the store. They know that I will make a rather loud speech about how good WP is now. LOL

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I definitely think the mileage can vary, and she was courteous when needed, but just her body language and comments about WP were sort of shocking, espcially since she gets paid no matter what phone I buy...she must have had a few returns eat into her commision. I think that if Microsoft can market some side by side comparisons with WP8.1 features and how on par it is with Android and iOS...sort of like they did with the Macbook Pro and the Surface Pro 3 during this morning's launch then people might consider WP more.

A.
She does get paid no matter what phone, but typically that amount varies. Promotions both internal and external are typically on android and ios. Probably because of stock numbers so they can get them out the door. When it comes down to it, if they can get an extra $50 selling the current promotional phone or the higher markup iPhone they will to fill their own pockets. Its not just a WP bias but a financial selfinterest on their part most of the time.

jtriplet

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
You think that's bad, try going in to get a BlackBerry. My prior device was a z10, which I actually still really like and swap back and forth with. I had multiple salespeople tell me blackberry went out of business and one actually laugh when I pulled out my phone

Oliverspin

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
I was in Best Buy awhile ago looking at Windows 8 computers when I overheard a salesperson say to a customer "Nobody has windows phones." I promptly pulled out mine and said "I have one!" He laughed at me. It was funny to him that someone might have one of those "unpopular windows phones." I'll tell you what, I want to show all those jokesters the facts on windows phone and how great it is.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
There's another disadvantage to going to the Verizon Store. Verizon charges tax based on the unsubsidized price. The Microsoft Store charges tax based on the contract price.

I first found this out with my first Verizon phone which was $99 with 2 year contract but the tax was over $50. My second Verizon phone was similar. But the Microsoft Store (as the employees will point this out) charges on the contract price so a $99 phone will have $8.25 or whatever your state sales tax is.

jenny311

May 21, 2014
Visit site
Wow, I can't believe they said that price was only available on-line. I went to my local Verizon store this past Friday to upgrade and they charged me $99 for the two year contract. I was pleasantly surprised because the last time I had checked the price it was $199.00.

We have an official Verizon store here and a private one as well. I have been stalking both for a few months now, going and asking questions and looking at the phone passing time until I was finally able to upgrade. No one has been nasty, however they really do not have any knowledge about the product. I ended up going to the private Verizon store because they are able to do the upgrade a week early. They of course had to order the phone, because they do not stock them (which was a bummer). My husband got a Galaxy S5 for his upgrade and we went in today to pick up our phones. One girl opened the galaxy and was setting up, a few minutes a later another girl opened my Icon and starting doing the setup. As soon as she turned it on she said she had never seen a windows phone and it looked really nice. It didn't take long until all 4 girls working there were all huddled around my phone, setup of my husbands Galaxy was completely halted. None of them had ever set one up. I actually had to finish the process for them because they didn't know how. But they all actually thought it was really cool and one of the girls said they should give them some WP training instead of the upcoming iPhone training they had to attend. So although they are not trained to use the phone they all seemed to like it.

At the official Verizon store most of the employees are pretty neutral about the WP, but one surprised me a few backs. I was buying my son his first cell phone and he asked the sales person about the windows phone. Her response was, "if you decide to go with windows you will never want to use another operating system for future phones" Not sure if she meant it positively or negatively, but I took it as a positive comment. In the end (and don't jump on me for this) I convinced my son to get the Galaxy S5. He is app crazy and frequently has to delete apps on his Droid tablet to make room for more, I just new he would be disappointed when all the apps he expected (as stupid as 90% of the ones he downloads are) weren't there.

I still have high hopes that WP will gain market share. As more and more people who use MS OS on their laptops and desktops go to upgrade to knew ones and the only option is Windows 8, they will try and like it and consider the phone. That is my hope any way. Microsoft isn't going away and they seem to be committed to the OS and improving it.

grafixguy#AC

May 4, 2014
Visit site
I did all my shopping and question asking at the local Microsoft Store. Great folks there and they had no issue spending time with me. As for VZW, at least they do carry the phones. And the Icon is best in class.

I went online and got the Icon from VZW for $49.99. (It was $99.99 and I used a coupon code...VZWDEAL...for another $50 off).

I have to say that everyone, even my iDevice loving friends, that I've showed the phone to aren't laughing anymore. It's a truly impressive device and I suspect WP will start gaining a bit of traction over the next couple of years.

drufranco

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
One thing I didn't notice in your story was if your wife's phone was off contract or still on a contract when it flew off the roof? Did you have insurance? Seems the price is solid if you were still on a contract and didn't have insurance.

Anyways when I went to the Verizon store to upgrade from my 928 to the icon the salesman was dumbfounded and asked another sales person if they even had those yet. I pointed over to the windows phone section and said, "yeah, you do, they are over there". Seems some of them avoid that section like a terrified child at a Spirit Halloween horror display. The other "knowledgeable" salesman said the same thing as I did and went further with stating that they only had the white version in stock, and what cases and screen protectors they had as well. Of course I had to show my salesman how to do everything from backing up my stuff, wiping my old phone, and transferring everything over to my new phone.

FYI I didn't get any commissions...

stancotreau

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
When I went into verizon's store to ask about the Icon the woman told me to wait a second, went out back and returned with another sales rep. This guy was a huge fan of windows phones, answered every question I had, let me play around with his personal Icon as well.

long story short .... I bought the phone and he is my go to guy for questions. I cound not have been happier with the service I received

Stan

BB_Jay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I had a similar response at the Verizon store last week. I'm currently rocking a BlackBerry Z10 and I'm tossing up whether to upgrade to a Z30 or give the Icon a try. Looking at the Icon, the rep immediately starts bashing the phone. She showed me how difficult it is to close apps (I've never owned a Windows phone, but knew how to do it quickly and easily) . When i mentioned i currently have a Z10, she chuckled and proceeded to tell me how few of them she's sold. Why would i care? I'm not buying it because of what others are buying. Pretty much comes down to if it's not iOS or Android, its not worth their time.

TheJoester09

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I've generally had pretty good experiences at the Verizon stores (both the corporate and the third-party) in my area. I always go in expecting the worst, and end up pleasantly surprised.

For those that get those awful reps, here's what you do: ditch that rep and find someone else. "You don't want to sell me a Windows Phone, so I'll find someone who will." Find another rep in the store and see if they'll sell you one without the hassle, and then the original rep will see the consequences of acting like a ******. Someone else will be happy to take the commission. Hit 'em where it hurts—their wallet.

DatabaseMX

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
There's another disadvantage to going to the Verizon Store. Verizon charges tax based on the unsubsidized price. The Microsoft Store charges tax based on the contract price.

I first found this out with my first Verizon phone which was $99 with 2 year contract but the tax was over $50. My second Verizon phone was similar. But the Microsoft Store (as the employees will point this out) charges on the contract price so a $99 phone will have $8.25 or whatever your state sales tax is.

Damn ... if only I would have known this 2 months ago when I got my Icon. And at the VZN non-corp store (I thought is was corp) ... they definitely had a LOT of 'tude'. After purchase (Edge), I later went to the Corp store ... and there was even more attitude there ... pretty much totally clueless re anything to do with Icon and WP in general.

I've been a VZN customer since before it was called Verizon (land line, DSL, cell phone) ... and I am sad to say that ... the overall quality of sales reps and especially tech support is rapidly degrading. FORTUNATELY ... we have these forums ... otherwise I doubt anything would get resolved :-(

​mx

sammyboy405

May 16, 2014
Visit site
When I bought mine here in OKC Area, I already had done my Research and knew I wanted the ICON. So I went in and told them what I wanted and I was met with resistance.. Are you sure you wouldn't want the S5? I was like Nope, I want the ICON. Id like to make a switch up and Give WP a Try I told him.

Well the Sign said 99 bucks 2 Year Contract.. When they rang it up, it came back and said 199 2yr Contract. I reminded the guy of the sign and what verizons website was advertising. He said He couldn't sell it for 99. I asked for a Manager, the Manager came out, and Scolded the employee for no having the signs changed to reflect the not on sale price.. and the Manager corrected the price.

This is a Verizon Corporate store too.. Just dont understand why they dont want to support WP.

vepac

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
Reading these stories, I'm pretty sure Microsoft should take this into consideration about sales reps not wanting to sell their product. The sales rep to me was great and honest when I was having a hard time deciding between the HTC one m7 and the icon. I got the icon since he had a good point about the icon having hardware advantages and since it is new and wasn't out for a year. (This was before the m8 came out and probably still would've got the icon)

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

ThatLeoneGuy

May 1, 2014
Visit site
I have two corporate VW stores within equal distance here in central Massachusetts. The store where I got my Icon didn't know whether they had any in stock and had to go look. But before that, the rep asked me if I was sure I wanted that phone. And he suggested that Android was the way to go. I assure him that I was sure. Then he said, he didn't know much about the phone but heard they had lousey batteries. Again, he asked me...are you sure? I said Yes again. I got the phone and I am loving it.

A few days later, I was near the other VW corporate store with a friend who was having trouble with his S4. The manager waited on him. When I pulled out my Icon, the manager's eyes were ready to pop out. He said that I got a great smartphone. I asked why? He pulled out his pocket his Lumia 928. He knew everything about Win Phones. He said he wished more people knew about Win Phones. I ended up buying the Nokia wireless charging plate which is working out just fine.

So I guess it varies from store to store about product knowledge. If I was corporate, I would get my sales staff across the boards on the same page and listen to the customer and show them the different operating systems because all of them have their fine points. Just saying.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes