New Icon - Mail????

jenny311

May 21, 2014
Visit site
Just got my Icon today, so far I'm very happy with the choice. This past November I got a Surface Pro 2 and haven't touched my galaxy note tablet since. So it only seemed fitting to go with WP when it was time to upgrade. One of the things I like most on my surface is being able to use Office 365, in particular Outlook to handle my MS exchange mail. Exchange mail on the surface pro 2 is a far better experience then on a Droid tablet. I am not having the same experience on the Icon however. I've setup my two exchange accounts in the mail app, calendars and people synced flawlessly :). The issue I am having is one of my exchange accounts has two shared mailboxes attached to it and mail from the shared mailbox is not showing up in my inbox or as separate inboxes as they do in outlook 2013. Prior to purchasing the phone I set this email account up in the mail app on my surface just to see how it would work, as I was thinking the phone would not have outlook 365 on it. While the mail app on the surface does not show the mail in the shared mail boxes as separate account or folders for that matter, it does at least have the mail from those inboxes in the main inbox.

So how can I see mail from the shared mailboxes on my phone? Do I need to wait for the 8.1 update, should I try the developers update (is it something anyone can try?). Any advice on how to make this work is appreciated.

And if anyone wants to share any other useful tips or tricks so I can get the most out of my new phone I am all ears!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I was trying to find something to help with your mail situation but I was having difficulty seeing anything. Seems a bit odd that it works on the Surface but not on the phone. Maybe someone else will have a good idea.

Here is a good place to get a handle on WP - Windows Phone 8 | Windows Phone How-to (United States)

I'm assuming you're in the US because you're talking Icon and not L930.

As for WP8.1, yes you can join the developers program and get the preview. http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...-read-first-post-before-asking-questions.html

I would highly recommend a hard reset after installing the DP if you plan to go that way. Be sure to backup first.

jenny311

May 21, 2014
Visit site
I was trying to find something to help with your mail situation but I was having difficulty seeing anything. Seems a bit odd that it works on the Surface but not on the phone. Maybe someone else will have a good idea.

Here is a good place to get a handle on WP - Windows Phone 8 | Windows Phone How-to (United States)

I'm assuming you're in the US because you're talking Icon and not L930.

As for WP8.1, yes you can join the developers program and get the preview. http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...-read-first-post-before-asking-questions.html

I would highly recommend a hard reset after installing the DP if you plan to go that way. Be sure to backup first.

Not much to back up as I have only had the phone for about 12 hours. If I wiped the phone now it would really be a matter and inputting my username and password for two email accounts, that is the beauty of exchange everything will sync, and logging into Skype. However I am going to wait to see if someone has an answer before I jump on the developers 8.1 because I am bit weary of trying an OS still in the development phase.

As for it working on the surface pro 2, maybe it is because the surface pro 2 shipped with 8.1. Don't get me wrong it wasn't perfect and there were still some issues, but at least the mail from the two shared mailboxes were there, so maybe switching to 8.1 now is the answer.

I am completely happy with my purchase and will never go back to a Droid phone or tablet. But I've got to say it baffles me why any windows product does not work seamlessly with MS exchange and have all of the features that MS exchange has to offers.

I am going to read your links now. Thanks for providing them. And yes I am in the US.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Just got my Icon today, so far I'm very happy with the choice. This past November I got a Surface Pro 2 and haven't touched my galaxy note tablet since. So it only seemed fitting to go with WP when it was time to upgrade. One of the things I like most on my surface is being able to use Office 365, in particular Outlook to handle my MS exchange mail. Exchange mail on the surface pro 2 is a far better experience then on a Droid tablet. I am not having the same experience on the Icon however. I've setup my two exchange accounts in the mail app, calendars and people synced flawlessly :). The issue I am having is one of my exchange accounts has two shared mailboxes attached to it and mail from the shared mailbox is not showing up in my inbox or as separate inboxes as they do in outlook 2013. Prior to purchasing the phone I set this email account up in the mail app on my surface just to see how it would work, as I was thinking the phone would not have outlook 365 on it. While the mail app on the surface does not show the mail in the shared mail boxes as separate account or folders for that matter, it does at least have the mail from those inboxes in the main inbox.

So how can I see mail from the shared mailboxes on my phone? Do I need to wait for the 8.1 update, should I try the developers update (is it something anyone can try?). Any advice on how to make this work is appreciated.

And if anyone wants to share any other useful tips or tricks so I can get the most out of my new phone I am all ears!

Is that exchange account that has a shared inbox a work account or personal account? If it is the former, then to access the shared inbox, try setting up that account under Settings > workplace.

How to sync MS Outlook shared calendars to Lumia (Windows phone - Microsoft Community

Edit: It looks like you can't access shared inboxes. At least according to the Office 365 guys.

http://community.office365.com/en-us/f/173/t/203584.aspx

jenny311

May 21, 2014
Visit site
Is that exchange account that has a shared inbox a work account or personal account? If it is the former, then to access the shared inbox, try setting up that account under Settings > workplace.

How to sync MS Outlook shared calendars to Lumia (Windows phone - Microsoft Community

Edit: It looks like you can't access shared inboxes. At least according to the Office 365 guys.

Shared Mailbox on Windows Phone 8 | Mobile access | Microsoft Office 365 Community

Bummer, I wonder if there is a way to login to a shared mailbox as a separate account??? I will have to look into that and from there just link it to the main account...

I'm still going with MS exchange on an windows device should work as expected.

DatabaseMX

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
I personally would not upgrade to the Dev 8.1 ... seems that might just introduce more 'unknowns' ... but that's just me ... and funny, because I am a Microsoft MVP (Access). But still ....

Meanwhile ... I also have been able to sync up Outlook 2013 (desktop) - on two different laptops and my Icon - to O365, both Calendar and Contacts. And it's nothing short of IMPRESSIVE. Change or add a calendar entry on any device (or in the browser/O365/Outlook) ... and it *instantly* syncs up across all devices. Same for Contacts.

Now ... email. I'm currently working on that piece. Thing is, I only have domain email accounts (someone@mydomainname.com). So, I'm trying to figure out how to link those into my O365 E3 account and Exchange. Currently, all of my email comes directly into Outlook 2013 (desktop), where I monitor approx 4 domain email address. And of course, all of this email comes from my ISP (San Diego's NetHere Internet Services BroadBand Access, Web Hosting, E-Commerce, & Network Security - been using them since 1999 with zero issues - web hosting also).

mx

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
In the mail app on your phone, click the menu buttons and folders and show all folders. Then tap and hold on the folder with the shared mail and you can pin that folder directly to your start screen.

jenny311

May 21, 2014
Visit site
In the mail app on your phone, click the menu buttons and folders and show all folders. Then tap and hold on the folder with the shared mail and you can pin that folder directly to your start screen.

Unfortunately there were no folders or mail for the two shared mailboxes.

jenny311

May 21, 2014
Visit site
So after two days on the phone with GoDaddy tech support this is what I have found out. On a side note, for anyone who is interested GoDaddy is offering an incredible price for Outlook 365 exchange accounts ($3.99 if you purchase the service for a year, I grabbed it for two because the price can't be beat) and the service is through Microsoft exchange servers not GoDaddy, GoDaddy just offers a portal to MS at a great price. And I'm told that MS won't be letting them offer that price for much longer.

Any way, back to the original topic. After being escalated and stumping many of the techs my issue made it's way to the top of the pecking order and it was determined that exchange shared mailboxes are not possible on the windows mobile operating systems. So I paid a little bit of extra money and added a 3rd exchange account to my plan and setup what was once the shared mailbox as a new email account.

One would think that would be where the troubles ended but not yet. During setup I chose to link the two accounts so mail from both accounts would show up in one mailbox. But shortly after doing that I sent a final test message to the new account I set up and it was returned to me saying the mailbox couldn't be found. I was assuming it had something to do with linking the 2 accounts and called tech support to confirm this as the problem didn't clear up after I unlinked them. It did however clear up during my tech call, just needed a little time to resolve. At this time, the tech person put me on hold and confirmed that you can not link two exchange accounts to one inbox. Apparently because with exchange mail is hosted on the server it confuses the server as to which inbox is which when it is syncing and messes up the server.

But the fun does not end there, shortly after I hung up and was able to send email to the new account again, my husband set up this new email in the stock email app on his Samsung S5. He shares this account with me, which is why it was originally set up as shared mailbox. It seems the S5 app combines inboxes for more then one email account and of course this broke the new account once again. After some internet searching it was clear that you can not remove combined mailboxes, you can "hide" the combined mailbox by going to folders and choosing the inbox for one or another, but it is still there and will still break the account on the exchange server. So he ended up downloading a 3rd party app and everything seems to be resolving now.

I hope this helps someone else using exchange and or shared mailboxes or more then one exchange account.

All of this aside, I am still loving my new phone.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte