Do I need a case??

Qais Abu-Hasan

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
Hey all,
I'm planning to get a lumia 930 and I like the green color of it like hell,, and it is tremendously amazing in it's design, BUT I'm afraid that the metallic trim (of aluminum I think) would be ruined fast if the phone was dropped, I don't usually let my mobile fall but if that happened i wouldn't like to have a Scratch or a hole or something,, so from your experience with your Icons (specially the white one). Does anything happen to it so I must get a case for the 930 or nothing would happen???
Thanks a lott

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

vepac

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
I've been more confident in using screen protectors and cases ever since the 928 I had slipped out of my hand and shattered the screen.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
One drop that hits just right can trash a phone. I usually dislike cases, but found the icon to be quite slippery actually so I opted for a shell type case. This keeps it minimal and more importantly its not slippery. I don't use insurance, but maybe that would be a good idea if your going without a case.

Qais Abu-Hasan

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
One drop that hits just right can trash a phone. I usually dislike cases, but found the icon to be quite slippery actually so I opted for a shell type case. This keeps it minimal and more importantly its not slippery. I don't use insurance, but maybe that would be a good idea if your going without a case.

Have you ever dropped it?? If so what happened to it??

anon(5445874)

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I've had my 920 since launch. I never use a case or screen protector. I also often keep my phone in the same pocket with my keys. I've also dropped my phone many times. The phone has a few dings on the case and a few very faint scratches on it. But they are so faint that you can only see them in certain lighting. While using the phone the scratches are nonexistent.

Qais Abu-Hasan

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
I've had my 920 since launch. I never use a case or screen protector. I also often keep my phone in the same pocket with my keys. I've also dropped my phone many times. The phone has a few dings on the case and a few very faint scratches on it. But they are so faint that you can only see them in certain lighting. While using the phone the scratches are nonexistent.

A lot say that lumia 920 is amazing but I want to know if the Lumia 930 is the same since it has a metal trim around it and it might be easily ruined

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It will be, from even the smallest bumps. Aluminum is a very soft metal & if you bump it, bang I or drop it I will leave a mark. The back of my Icon has a matte finish but is still slippery. I'm on my 2nd phone due to it slipping and falling 4' onto concrete. The glass shattered and metal had a significant damage. My replacement phone slipped out of my hands at the Verizon store onto the counter from 2" and dented the corner....

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Don't use cases, never did, I think they pull away from the design of the phone and with the icon, you have a nice sleek look if it and would be wrecked by a case.

Yep, I have dropped a few phones in the past and cracked a screen or 2...but the $6 a month for insurance is worth every dime( I've had to use it 2-3 times in the last 10 or so years)

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
That is for you to answer.

I thought the same as previous posters, it would take away from the sleek lines of the device. Had a Lumia 920 (wife's phone now), phone was somewhat slippery. Dropped it a few times, w NO damage. Last time I dropped it, it fell face down on my garage floor, shattered the digitizer. Found a repair shop who ' ... specialized in Lumia 920s ... '. Long story short, after 1 month + of back & forth, they wound up buying me a NEW phone, after FUBARing the repair. Got a case, which was a little higher (front) than the screen. Don't know how many times my wife has dropped it, but it's GOOD (still).

I have a Lumia 1520, I would not pull the trigger on it, until I found a suitable case. Have had it for almost 4 months until the unthinkable happened - dropped it on same garage floor. Paused, drew a deep breath, picked up the phone. NO damage to phone, scratch on case.

I'd get a case, even if you don't always use it, the device is slippery.

SettleAsRobin

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
It will be, from even the smallest bumps. Aluminum is a very soft metal & if you bump it, bang I or drop it I will leave a mark. The back of my Icon has a matte finish but is still slippery. I'm on my 2nd phone due to it slipping and falling 4' onto concrete. The glass shattered and metal had a significant damage. My replacement phone slipped out of my hands at the Verizon store onto the counter from 2" and dented the corner....

Same here. Dropped my Icon because it slipped and fell right through my hands and got to damaged and got it replaced. Went to PAX East with my new phone and had it slip onto the concrete when getting out of my car twice. First time i grabbed the wire plugged into it to my car and the side swiped the ground. Metal got dinged and small scratchy bumps. 2nd time it landed face first on the ground. Surprisingly there was no major damage to the glass. Just the metal bezel got scraped and two very small dots on my screen. 3rd time it slipped out of my lap when i was sitting Indian style on the ground. Still made a mark on the side when it slipped 4 inches off my leg.

Point is the Lumia Icon is slippery and the metal sides are fragile. Also the back of the phone can randomly lose grip from your hand. Not a fan of the back material. Maybe the 930 has a different material used for the back.

Bought a case and never looked back. Sad because i love the way the Icon feels without a case. I just cant stand damaging my phone any worse than it is right now.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs