Word of mouth?

arbyjr

May 22, 2014
Visit site
I've had my Icon for just short of 2 weeks now, and I have grown extremely find of the phone and the Windows 8 platform. I know several people who are using different Android phones (Samsung, HTC, Motorola) all running slightly different versions of jellybean, kitkat and some still on Ice cream sandwich.
Throughout the time that I've had the Icon I have been showing it off to these Android users. Most of them were pressured into "upgrading" to another Android phone, and basically thinking the only other option was the iPhone's. Almost all whom have showed (and let them play with) my phone they have also enjoyed the experience, and they are looking into switching to the Windows platform.
I'm basically just wondering if others are doing the same. I know that most VZW store reps are not showing the Windows phones as a viable choice, and I just want to know if the word of mouth from other Windows users is helping, or showing others that there really is another option and encouraging others to switch or think about switching.
I have helped 7 people to switch to the the Nokia's, or the HTC 8X...

Shobin Drogan

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
Wow that is a lot of people.
Well, ive managed to convince one of my friend to get a 920, i told him very clearly that if you like playing a lot of games you wont like WP. One of my friend loves to bash on wp simply because it isnt android, ironically he is using a nokia feature phone with b/w screen.
Most of my friends were amazed with things like Offline maps, Cortana, Glance, the new background is also something they love looking at as much as i do.
I used to hesitate in the past when recommending a wp, what with the limited features and apps, that is not something i would think twice anymore. I can now recommend 8.1 to anyone, it is such a complete windows experience.
Getting people to try out the platform does have an effect, but i think what will have a HUGE impact is the amount of manufacturers starting to finally jump into the platform. Especially with a brand like LG, there will be loads of hardcore fans that will try out wp, simply because their favourite company is selling one.

richard_rsp

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I absolutely show it off! I had a Lumia 925 before my Icon and have tried to show it off any chance I get! If it wasn't for the lack of App support, I firmly believe that WindowsPhone would have quite the market share. It's a fantastic platform!

I actually "sold" the Windows Phone to the Verizon salesman when I switched. He was pushing Android on me (there is another post about that), but after I showed the awesomeness of WP 8.1, he said he was going to pick up an Icon as his next "company phone" and give it a try.

In my opinion, the Windows Phone Operating System sells itself (especially in 8.1). If it wasn't for the first party app gap, it would be a LOT more prevalent.

(My solution: If you see an app that you use is missing from the WP store, email the developer/company and ask for a Windows Phone app. I have done this a couple of times, and usually they are happy to see that there is interest in the platform.)

prlundberg

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Because of my experience with Windows RT I closely considered an Icon. In the end though the features of the Galaxy S5, not the least of which is water resistance, won out. My wife went with the Icon and has been very happy with it except for the two issues I opened another thread on. What it does do it does very well and everything feels fluid and cohesive on it. My S5 does more and has been solid but it lags and stutters all over the place which gets to be annoying and is really inexcusable given the hardware.

Bosgarage57

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
Let me pose a question if I may. I have a note 2, love it, but looking for a change. They have the Icon for 99 right now or the ATIV SE for $199. I really am needing an sd card slot as I have a ton of music/videos/iso's/roms. Here are my qualms with Windows 8 right now, hopefully someone can shed light on it:

1) Widgets, I use widgets all the time. I understand live tiles will update weather, etc, but what I'm needing is things like Music widgets. Music player and Pandora to skip tracks without having to actually open the app.
2) Background downloading. I still have unlimited data (suck that Verizon) and use it to download movies, music, and books. It seems as soon as you go out of an app with Windows it basically shuts that app down correct?

I loaded a WP Launcher on my note 2, and its pretty fun to mess around with. I did go into a store and play with the Icon (which a rep said they didn't have, didn't know what it was). And these were my concerns with the platform.

loki993

May 6, 2014
Visit site
Because of my experience with Windows RT I closely considered an Icon. In the end though the features of the Galaxy S5, not the least of which is water resistance, won out. My wife went with the Icon and has been very happy with it except for the two issues I opened another thread on. What it does do it does very well and everything feels fluid and cohesive on it. My S5 does more and has been solid but it lags and stutters all over the place which gets to be annoying and is really inexcusable given the hardware.

That really is unacceptable. What does the S5 do that the Icon doesn't? Fingerprint scanner? Heartrate monitor? IR blaster for remote control? I can do without that.

I strongly considered the S5 before I got the icon, its probably the best phone out there right now. I just cant get over that design...its just bland compared to the M8 and the Icon and I figured it was time to give WP a try. I suppose though at least you wouldnt have to be mad about putting a case on it.

prlundberg

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
That really is unacceptable. What does the S5 do that the Icon doesn't? Fingerprint scanner? Heartrate monitor? IR blaster for remote control? I can do without that.

I strongly considered the S5 before I got the icon, its probably the best phone out there right now. I just cant get over that design...its just bland compared to the M8 and the Icon and I figured it was time to give WP a try. I suppose though at least you wouldnt have to be mad about putting a case on it.

I don't like the tacky chrome, but I love the soft touch removable back. It feels nice in hand and is easy to grip. I didn't like the slippery metal M8 or the beveled glass on the Icon, both of which are prone to damage. I'm definately a function over form kind of guy.

I don't really want to get into a discussion about the details of why I chose the S5 here, that typically turns into an argument about wants versus needs. I simply wanted the functionalities that the S5 and Android gave me over what the Icon and WP could give me. It was a pretty close call though, which is more than I can say about two years ago.

Last edited:

haste266

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
I just recently purchased an Icon and find the phone to be wonderful. I'm coming from an HTC Evo 3d(old, i know) with Jellybean(4.0.3).

The fluidity of the Windows 8 phone OS is amazing. The only downside I have found so far is the lack of multi-tasking.

I don't think anyone at my work knows about these devices. I will definitely be showing it off during my lunch break. :wink:

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
2) Background downloading. I still have unlimited data (suck that Verizon) and use it to download movies, music, and books. It seems as soon as you go out of an app with Windows it basically shuts that app down correct?.

Yes and no. On WP apps do not multi-task (in the technically correct sense), however, apps can ask the OS to do stuff on their behalf, which the OS does even when the app isn't running. Receiving notifications, triggering alarms, playing music in the background, and yes, downloading files, are just some examples of that capability.

So that is possible, however, the app must have been programmed to use those features.

Slayix312

May 31, 2014
Visit site
I don't like the tacky chrome, but I love the soft touch removable back. It feels nice in hand and is easy to grip. I didn't like the slippery metal M8 or the beveled glass on the Icon, both of which are prone to damage. I'm definately a function over form kind of guy.

I don't really want to get into a discussion about the details of why I chose the S5 here, that typically turns into an argument about wants versus needs. I simply wanted the functionalities that the S5 and Android gave me over what the Icon and WP could give me. It was a pretty close call though, which is more than I can say about two years ago.

I would have gone with the M8 if I was you (assuming a lower quality camera isn't an issue) over the S5 personally. The M8 metal IS sorta slippery, but it is also an incredibly well built phone and feels far more premium to the touch than the S5. There are also cheap cases that keep the aesthetic of the M8. have better grip, and of course increased protection (spiggen cases for example).

The M8 also has the fastest response times of any current phone probably.

http://blog.gsmarena.com/the-htc-one-m8-is-king-of-touch-screen-response-time

I JUST started messing with my Icon today, but you can definitely feel the increased responsiveness between it and my 2 month old HTC One M8.

The M8 is probably the best phone I have ever used with the only down-side being the camera. Everything else is at least a 9/10.

Last edited:

prlundberg

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
I would have gone with the M8 if I was you (assuming a lower quality camera isn't an issue) over the S5 personally. The M8 metal IS sorta slippery, but it is also an incredibly well built phone and feels far more premium to the touch than the S5. There are also cheap cases that keep the aesthetic of the M8. have better grip, and of course increased protection (spiggen cases for example).

Well, yes, with 3 young kids camera quality was a big issue, and so far the S5 has proven to be the equal and maybe even a bit better than my wife's Icon in the pictures we have taken. It's close enough not to be a factor, I'll put it that way. The M8's on-screen buttons taking up screen real estate, the tall height, and lesser water resistance also played a factor in choosing the S5.

I don't care about premium look and feel. The S5 feels better in hand and is easier to grip for me than the M8. I prefer the Icon to the M8 as well in that regard. Online videos seem to indicate the S5 is as durable as anything else out there if not more, so that's what counts for me.

That's why it's great to have so many good options. We can each get the phone that offers more of what we personally find important. There are several really good phones out there right now that I'm sure I'd also be happy with, including the Icon and M8. But I spend a lot of time outdoors and around water so native water resistance was a big deal for me. I've wanted that since my first smart phone.

vepac

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
@Bosgarage57 I can answer the music control question. The cool thing about windows phone is that pretty much what ever you are doing on your phone, while you are playing or recently paused music you press one of the volume controls as if you were going to change the volume and it brings you your basic music controls right under the volume level.

Slayix312

May 31, 2014
Visit site
Well, yes, with 3 young kids camera quality was a big issue, and so far the S5 has proven to be the equal and maybe even a bit better than my wife's Icon in the pictures we have taken. It's close enough not to be a factor, I'll put it that way. The M8's on-screen buttons taking up screen real estate, the tall height, and lesser water resistance also played a factor in choosing the S5.

I don't care about premium look and feel. The S5 feels better in hand and is easier to grip for me than the M8. I prefer the Icon to the M8 as well in that regard. Online videos seem to indicate the S5 is as durable as anything else out there if not more, so that's what counts for me.

That's why it's great to have so many good options. We can each get the phone that offers more of what we personally find important. There are several really good phones out there right now that I'm sure I'd also be happy with, including the Icon and M8. But I spend a lot of time outdoors and around water so native water resistance was a big deal for me. I've wanted that since my first smart phone.

Understandable.

I only suggested the M8 since you said the S5 was laggy. The HTC One M8 doesn't lag for a second anywhere. Hence why I also linked the article that indicated the M8 response times. I got it launch day and it still feels like the day I bought it. You can tell a small but noticeable difference in response times between the M8 and the Icon.

Jeff Spradling

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
I've only had the Icon since Friday but I've already shown it to some folks here at work. Most really like the long press search key function more than anything else. The amoled screen is of course as good as the Samsungs, and the fluidity is as good as the G2, the M8, and the Moto X, and that's a good crowd to be in. It always gets "oh cool" and "that's neat" comments.

My Icon still has 8.0 on it and this kind of feels like when being on Froyo Android. Not the look and feel but the "work in progress" part. It's going to be fun to watch WP evolve like Android did.

arbyjr

May 22, 2014
Visit site
I'm still in that newness phase, and am still showing it to everyone.

A lot of what people are telling me is that they were talked out of, or discouraged from looking at the Windows phones by the Verizon or other cell provider reps. Windows phone is having a huge hill to climb and its not selling well because reps are telling customers just about anything to sway them away. So customers are "scared" because they don't think they'll be able to do anything other then make phone calls. There is so much misinformation and confusion coming from the store reps.
I have my niece as one of the other lines on my account, and she just upgraded about a month before I did. She went to the VZW corp store with my wife and she/they were "talked into" the HTC M8. It?s really not a bad phone, but she was thinking of getting the icon. The wife said that the reps in the store would not even let them look at the Windows phones. The Windows phones were in a corner of the store and the rep was standing and physically preventing them from even getting close to those phones.

Word of mouth is helping windows phone grow, because customers are getting a chance to actually see and feel the phones. Then they can shop online, or tell the reps when the misinformation starts to flow...