Icon or "Goldfinger"?

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Yea, I went out and bought Windows 8 for my laptop and I loved the modern UI so I decided to try out WP8 on the L920... after experiencing Android on an Xperia arc and EVO3D I loved the L920...it's survived: flying out of my pocket while running at full speed and flipping end over end on asphault for like 15 feet; falling down a full flight of stairs twice; falling off of school desks countless times. It's unbreakable lol... I did crack the thin polycarbonate piece on the front where the sim card port is though and had to break it off because it was sticking out :(
Recently it's been having poor reception and download speeds though (both wifi and data).

I'm feeling like GF will be a longer than usual wait and will just be released for a specific carrier, as usual.

Anyways, Ive decided I'll just get an Icon and pass the glossy red torch to my sister. It's time for something a little fresher to be my rectangular baby lol...the next flagship can only be so much better than the icon, right?

Cool, where can you get 930 in Canada right now though?? What colours are available?

Sent from my Asus Transformer Pad TF701

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
What is this "Goldfinger" thing? The only references I've found are from back in Nov/Dec 2013. None of which seem to be accurate based on what is current; meaning the first three phones to come with WP8.1 pre-installed are the 930, 635 and the 630. As far as non-Nokia/Microsoft branded devices, I've heard of a new Samsung, HTC, and possible a Sony model. But none of them would be codenamed, "Goldfinger."

Is the 930 supposed to be "Goldfinger"?

Beijendorf

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
What is this "Goldfinger" thing? The only references I've found are from back in Nov/Dec 2013. None of which seem to be accurate based on what is current; meaning the first three phones to come with WP8.1 pre-installed are the 930, 635 and the 630. As far as non-Nokia/Microsoft branded devices, I've heard of a new Samsung, HTC, and possible a Sony model. But none of them would be codenamed, "Goldfinger."

Is the 930 supposed to be "Goldfinger"?

Essentially it's supposed to be some sort of a high-end phone with a 3D gesture control system among other cutting-edge technology. It was originally slated to be one of the first WP8.1 devices, but has since been delayed for reasons speculated to be that the technology wasn't ready for market yet.

So it seems like the Goldfinger was originally intended to be the 930, but was replaced with the 929/Icon when the Goldfinger didn't meet the deadline.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Essentially it's supposed to be some sort of a high-end phone with a 3D gesture control system among other cutting-edge technology. It was originally slated to be one of the first WP8.1 devices, but has since been delayed for reasons speculated to be that the technology wasn't ready for market yet.

So it seems like the Goldfinger was originally intended to be the 930, but was replaced with the 929/Icon when the Goldfinger didn't meet the deadline.

Bingo, so you have options. Do you want to stick with the 920 until Goldfinger, or do you want to obtain the Icon / 930 (not sure when it'll come to Canada, and I'm not even sure when the Icon will even leave Verizon) now, or very soon? At the moment, we can only speculate what the Goldfinger will hold, but the 930 / Icon is real. The call's your's, but that 3D gesture control, which has been a part of the rumor since day one, does scream "Get me!" to me. ;)

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Bingo, so you have options. Do you want to stick with the 920 until Goldfinger, or do you want to obtain the Icon / 930 (not sure when it'll come to Canada, and I'm not even sure when the Icon will even leave Verizon) now, or very soon? At the moment, we can only speculate what the Goldfinger will hold, but the 930 / Icon is real. The call's your's, but that 3D gesture control, which has been a part of the rumor since day one, does scream "Get me!" to me. ;)

I already have an Icon. I was curious about Goldfinger, since this thread was the first I've heard of it. But 3D gesture control DOES sound interesting. It's something that Samsung is working on too with its Galaxy phones. I think they tried an early version on the GS4. I'm not sure if they are still working on it though. I dumped my GN2 back in Aug.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site

Much grass senor. :-D

Brandon McLean

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Yea, I don't want to wait long...I'm getting a black Icon and I'm gonna try to figure out how to remove the backplate and wait until the backplates for orange 930s are available somewhere and see if I can slap it on for a "custom" black and orange Lumia :)

Beijendorf

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Yea, I don't want to wait long...I'm getting a black Icon and I'm gonna try to figure out how to remove the backplate and wait until the backplates for orange 930s are available somewhere and see if I can slap it on for a "custom" black and orange Lumia :)

It's extremely unlikely that Microsoft would let Q3-Q4 2014 pass by and only have the Icon/929 available in the US and the 930 available in the rest of the world as far as high-end phones go. The Icon/929 was slanted for release in late November-early December 2013 but was delayed because of Verizon. I don't think even Nokia/Microsoft see the 929/930 as their future-proofed and popular 2014 flagship.

There'll be something new before 2015, so if you go for the Icon, make sure it's the phone you truly want first.

Jan Tomsic

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm currently thinking of giving my 920 to my sister (thus converting 2 family members to WP :cool:) and buying myself an Icon (no use waiting for a 930 or importing). However, I'm not sure if it would be wiser to wait for "Goldfinger" to come out or not. I live in Canada, so WP is very scarce up here. IF "Goldfinger" is even real, I'm afraid that it'll be released around the end of the year and only come to Canada a few months into 2015 if at all.

I like my 920, but I'm growing tired of it and want something more future proof and classier than a red glossy Lumia.

What do you guys think?

920 is future proof already, it's going to work just fine with 8.1, and it's not even 2 yrs old, which means you just got bored of it. You'll probably want to replace the 930 when new phones come out because you'll want the latest and flashy.
Any current flagship is as future proof as your desire for new things :)
And since all we know about 'Goldfinger' is the name itself, I'll say go for 930/Icon (it's the same phone anyway, except 930 is orange), except for 1520 there's not much other choice. Ativ SE is supposed to be great too, and there's rumors of HTC W8 (like M8 but WP, I presume), so you might wanna check that out.
If you want a new phone, get the current best, waiting is quite useless because there's a new device released every month almost. Especially now that WP is free and there's plenty of new OEMs building them. Of course if you want to stick to Nokia (I won't blame you for that), the choice is limited, since 930 just started selling.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
If you're getting the itch now, it's going to be a LONG wait til Goldfinger. No one knows what Goldfinger will bring, so its tough to say.

Unfortunately, not a strong year for high end Lumia devices compared to last year, it seems. Hopefully OEM's pull through, for WP's sake.

Brandon McLean

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
920 is future proof already, it's going to work just fine with 8.1, and it's not even 2 yrs old, which means you just got bored of it. You'll probably want to replace the 930 when new phones come out because you'll want the latest and flashy.
Any current flagship is as future proof as your desire for new things :)
And since all we know about 'Goldfinger' is the name itself, I'll say go for 930/Icon (it's the same phone anyway, except 930 is orange), except for 1520 there's not much other choice. Ativ SE is supposed to be great too, and there's rumors of HTC W8 (like M8 but WP, I presume), so you might wanna check that out.
If you want a new phone, get the current best, waiting is quite useless because there's a new device released every month almost. Especially now that WP is free and there's plenty of new OEMs building them. Of course if you want to stick to Nokia (I won't blame you for that), the choice is limited, since 930 just started selling.

2 years is ages in the world of technology. Yes the 920 is great and it's the phone I've owned longest and loved the most, but I want to replace it because it's a little beaten up, I'd like a full HD screen, and I'd like more up to date processors all packed into something I find more attractive...I also prefer OLED to LCD and the camera and 5" screen are great too...It'll just be an even better experience overall. I'm not just bored of it and I don't need to be flashy. I just want something more up to date. I was considering waiting for Goldfinger because it would probably be the next true flagship and possibly the first Microsoft-Nokia phone and possibly something worth waiting for...but I do like the Icon/930 and how much better could GF be if it even actually exists. And like I said, I'm not interested in other OEMs although I am excited to see what's different with Nokia phones now that Microsoft is behind the wheel.

Beijendorf

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Suddenly you need to change the title to "Icon or McLaren?".
Any new thoughts since the roadmap got leaked revealing the hero-device everyone have been waiting for coming in November?

Beijendorf

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm interested in this McLaren if it exists. I'd like to see the screen size though--hope it's 5"+

The larger they make the screen, the larger they can make the battery without having to worry about complaints of thickness or bezels. If it has a 3D-touch technology (and perhaps even the Pelican Imaging light-field camera?) it's going to need a large battery. I'd say it's pretty safe to say this Lumia is going to follow the trend of larger screens.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)