06-05-2014 10:02 PM
31 12
tools
    You should be aware of the limitations of WP's email client. You can't attach documents from the client. The only way to email a document is to create an email from the document, and even then you can't send more than one document in the same email. You also cannot reply to an email and attach a document. But if you don't need to do any of these things you should have no problems.
    There are some things that are a bit of a work around that I am not sure why they are this way.
    Such as, not being able to attch documents from inside email.

However, with the new File Manager "Files" you can attach numerous files to one email.
    There is a bit of a draw back on this, you have to go into Files, create a new Temp Folder
    Copy the number of files you want to attach into that Temp Folder and then go back into that folder
    Select All of the and share to email,, it works. Not that difficult or time consuming either.

However, it does boggle the mind as to way some of this is not possible from the email app itself,
    How it has still yet to be implemented, either.

As for Editing a Doc and then replying back to the email with the edited Doc
    I always advise against trying this even in the Desktop version of Office.
    1.) The doc may not attach or get sent properly
    2,) if something happens and the email gets lost, so does the document generally
    However, a copy is kept in a Hidden Temp folder that most people do not know about.
    It is better to always save out the document, make your changes on a copy and email that back out anyway.
    If you have a large group to email to, generally if it a regular group, you should already have a group contact for that.
    Otherwise, you could try to create one.
    On the phone it is not easy to do,,,, but hopfully they will attack these issues going forward and remedy them.

So, the email client is not perfect,, it's not completely horrible either, but it needs massive major improvements.
    06-02-2014 09:06 PM
    Are you kidding me? I've been very tempted to get an Icon over my Razr M; but seriously, one cannot attach multiple files through a file manager to an email unless one makes a temporary folder? My old yahoo app could do that 3 years ago. This fact is disturbing...very disturbing. That's kind of a major deal in my opinion; especially, if it's a corporate phone or if one does a lot of document transfers to people via email.
    06-03-2014 09:28 PM
    Hello everyone,

I was hoping to get some info from any knowledgeable users out there. I am a die-hard Android fan and my personal phone is the HTC One M8, which is working like a dream (rooted, rom'd, s-off), but my company decided to hook me up with a work phone as well. They let me pick any phone from Verizon and I decided on the Nokia Icon since I liked what I saw and don't really like BB and I really hate Apple's ecosystem. This is my first foray into WP OS btw.

Anyway the questions are:

1. Is the e-mail functionality on WPs pretty good? I am sure I will be needing to use it heavily. Does it play well with exchange? Obviously you would expect it to.

2. How is the battery life specifically on the Nokia Icon in real-world usage? I have seen reviews state it was pretty good, but would like to hear some first-hand accounts from long-term users.

3. Any recommendations on apps or other things I should know about?

Thanks in advance guys!
    I use mine for work. I find it is very useful (came from an HTC One). Email in my opinion is top notch and it is nice to have most programs work "natively" and not to have to find a third party app. (Office, remote desktop, files etc).

Battery life destroys my HTC One, however I can comment on the M8

Make sure you have files, remote desktop, adobe etc.
    06-04-2014 02:11 AM
    I use mine for work. I find it is very useful (came from an HTC One). Email in my opinion is top notch and it is nice to have most programs work "natively" and not to have to find a third party app. (Office, remote desktop, files etc).

Battery life destroys my HTC One, however I can comment on the M8

Make sure you have files, remote desktop, adobe etc.
    Note, the Files app and I believe the Microsoft Remote desktop app are Windows Phone 8.1 only that is in preview program right now(will not work on 8.0 that comes on the ICON from the factory). If you don't want to have to tweak the heck out of your phone, I might avoid 8.1 till the final, It does use more battery life at least in my case (others have pointed out the same.).

With that being said, I've been using Windows devices from PocketPC 1.0, and I honestly feel if your working with a Exchange server, it works flawlessly. There are some minor hates about the email client but, over all, when I am waiting for a email, when it hits I get it and if I want to reply or reply to all, I can do that with out a problem.

The ICON is a great device and once you learn the ins and outs of Windows Phone, you'll see it's a great device and a nice OS. 8.1 is a MAJOR enhancement for it, so no question worth having. We are right around the corner (within the next month or so) to get final version sent to our phones.
    06-04-2014 05:14 PM
    I should have been more clear, you only need the temp folder if the files are in different locations.

If they are all in the same folder then a temp folder is not necessary.
    gernerttl likes this.
    06-05-2014 04:00 AM
    I should have been more clear, you only need the temp folder if the files are in different locations.

If they are all in the same folder then a temp folder is not necessary.
    Yeah. I thought that sounded a little odd since I replicated everything you said EXCEPT creating a temp folder. One problem with Files though. It doesn't connect to OneDrive. If it connected to OneDrive then it would be great since I store my files there (I got one year of 100GB for free).
    06-05-2014 10:02 PM
31 12