Nokia Lumia Icon as a work phone?

Jan Tomsic

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the useful replies; appreciate it!

- To use root only apps like Titanium backup which is wonderful.
- Xposed with xprivacy, app settings is damn near essential for me now that I have tried them.
- Being able to flash any rom I want and get any new update
- Hotspot

1,000 more reasons which all tie into being more customize-able really.

I heard WP isn't really capable of this due to it being more locked down, but not really a problem because I get my customization fix with my M8 anyway. Plus I highly doubt my company would look favorably on me if I messed with their shiny new phone they bought me. haha

If I was running a work place I wouldn't allow rooting androids (for work phones, do what you want with your personal), because it's extremely easy to sniff various passwords and do nasty things in general. WP is being advertised as a great work phone, and Exchange runs very nicely on it, but as soon as you add SIP, you're going to have to make changes on server-side just for WP. In my office we have SIP configured and it works perfectly with iOS and Android devices, but to make it work perfectly on WP, lot's of changes to the server would be required.
If Exchange and office is all you need, WP is great, but unfortunately you may quickly lose your mind because some other things may just not work and they work without problems on other devices. Give a list of all the services/apps you require and it'll be easier to give advice.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
You should be aware of the limitations of WP's email client. You can't attach documents from the client. The only way to email a document is to create an email from the document, and even then you can't send more than one document in the same email. You also cannot reply to an email and attach a document. But if you don't need to do any of these things you should have no problems.

Slayix312

May 31, 2014
Visit site
If I was running a work place I wouldn't allow rooting androids (for work phones, do what you want with your personal), because it's extremely easy to sniff various passwords and do nasty things in general. WP is being advertised as a great work phone, and Exchange runs very nicely on it, but as soon as you add SIP, you're going to have to make changes on server-side just for WP. In my office we have SIP configured and it works perfectly with iOS and Android devices, but to make it work perfectly on WP, lot's of changes to the server would be required.
If Exchange and office is all you need, WP is great, but unfortunately you may quickly lose your mind because some other things may just not work and they work without problems on other devices. Give a list of all the services/apps you require and it'll be easier to give advice.

Very useful info thank you. Yeah all our internal networks are banned from use via personal phones. Only work phones, tablets, laptops are allowed.

The main apps I will be using is mostly exchange, voxer buisness, mdm software and a bunch of internal company apps. I will be receiving a new iPad as well for anything that doesn't work on WP or that is inaccessible via my Android. So I am not too worried, but it would obviously be nice to streamline everything as much as possible.

tacroy

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
I love my icon for business. WP has some very useful aspects that are just part of the OS. These might be present in Android, but were not on my iPhone. For example:

Lock screen showing next appointment. NOT last notification of appointments. I need to know when my next meeting is so I can plan.
Likewise on Calendar Icon, shows me my day so I can play, NOT just lets me see things I've missed.

Email tile shows me sender and first few lines, great for triage-ing emails as I walk

Tasks, calendar, email all work well with exchange and can separate out my personal accounts into a combo email box.

In general it's getting info that is relevant very quickly. I just hit my power button, flip up and I see my day, emails, etc.

Tepid

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
You should be aware of the limitations of WP's email client. You can't attach documents from the client. The only way to email a document is to create an email from the document, and even then you can't send more than one document in the same email. You also cannot reply to an email and attach a document. But if you don't need to do any of these things you should have no problems.

There are some things that are a bit of a work around that I am not sure why they are this way.
Such as, not being able to attch documents from inside email.

However, with the new File Manager "Files" you can attach numerous files to one email.
There is a bit of a draw back on this, you have to go into Files, create a new Temp Folder
Copy the number of files you want to attach into that Temp Folder and then go back into that folder
Select All of the and share to email,, it works. Not that difficult or time consuming either.

However, it does boggle the mind as to way some of this is not possible from the email app itself,
How it has still yet to be implemented, either.

As for Editing a Doc and then replying back to the email with the edited Doc
I always advise against trying this even in the Desktop version of Office.
1.) The doc may not attach or get sent properly
2,) if something happens and the email gets lost, so does the document generally
However, a copy is kept in a Hidden Temp folder that most people do not know about.
It is better to always save out the document, make your changes on a copy and email that back out anyway.
If you have a large group to email to, generally if it a regular group, you should already have a group contact for that.
Otherwise, you could try to create one.
On the phone it is not easy to do,,,, but hopfully they will attack these issues going forward and remedy them.

So, the email client is not perfect,, it's not completely horrible either, but it needs massive major improvements.

BytorJr

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Are you kidding me? I've been very tempted to get an Icon over my Razr M; but seriously, one cannot attach multiple files through a file manager to an email unless one makes a temporary folder? My old yahoo app could do that 3 years ago. This fact is disturbing...very disturbing. That's kind of a major deal in my opinion; especially, if it's a corporate phone or if one does a lot of document transfers to people via email.

LumiaIcon

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I was hoping to get some info from any knowledgeable users out there. I am a die-hard Android fan and my personal phone is the HTC One M8, which is working like a dream (rooted, rom'd, s-off), but my company decided to hook me up with a work phone as well. They let me pick any phone from Verizon and I decided on the Nokia Icon since I liked what I saw and don't really like BB and I really hate Apple's ecosystem. This is my first foray into WP OS btw.

Anyway the questions are:

1. Is the e-mail functionality on WPs pretty good? I am sure I will be needing to use it heavily. Does it play well with exchange? Obviously you would expect it to.

2. How is the battery life specifically on the Nokia Icon in real-world usage? I have seen reviews state it was pretty good, but would like to hear some first-hand accounts from long-term users.

3. Any recommendations on apps or other things I should know about?

Thanks in advance guys!

I use mine for work. I find it is very useful (came from an HTC One). Email in my opinion is top notch and it is nice to have most programs work "natively" and not to have to find a third party app. (Office, remote desktop, files etc).

Battery life destroys my HTC One, however I can comment on the M8

Make sure you have files, remote desktop, adobe etc.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I use mine for work. I find it is very useful (came from an HTC One). Email in my opinion is top notch and it is nice to have most programs work "natively" and not to have to find a third party app. (Office, remote desktop, files etc).

Battery life destroys my HTC One, however I can comment on the M8

Make sure you have files, remote desktop, adobe etc.

Note, the Files app and I believe the Microsoft Remote desktop app are Windows Phone 8.1 only that is in preview program right now(will not work on 8.0 that comes on the ICON from the factory). If you don't want to have to tweak the heck out of your phone, I might avoid 8.1 till the final, It does use more battery life at least in my case (others have pointed out the same.).

With that being said, I've been using Windows devices from PocketPC 1.0, and I honestly feel if your working with a Exchange server, it works flawlessly. There are some minor hates about the email client but, over all, when I am waiting for a email, when it hits I get it and if I want to reply or reply to all, I can do that with out a problem.

The ICON is a great device and once you learn the ins and outs of Windows Phone, you'll see it's a great device and a nice OS. 8.1 is a MAJOR enhancement for it, so no question worth having. We are right around the corner (within the next month or so) to get final version sent to our phones.

Tepid

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I should have been more clear, you only need the temp folder if the files are in different locations.

If they are all in the same folder then a temp folder is not necessary.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I should have been more clear, you only need the temp folder if the files are in different locations.

If they are all in the same folder then a temp folder is not necessary.

Yeah. I thought that sounded a little odd since I replicated everything you said EXCEPT creating a temp folder. One problem with Files though. It doesn't connect to OneDrive. If it connected to OneDrive then it would be great since I store my files there (I got one year of 100GB for free).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs