New to WP from Android - Purchased Icon - Having Problems with Battery - Please Help

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
oh, and by the way, i found that games such as frozen free fall and maleficent free fall drain the battery like crazy. I stick to color sheep now.

Pretty much ANY game sucks battery power faster than a black hole sucks in planets. I played Star Wars: Assault Force and within an hour I was under 20% down from around 80% or so.

As for when Verizon sends out 8.1, I'm betting no later than Aug. Verizon was fairly quick with getting the Black update out this past fall. Like iOS, WP doesn't suffer the fragmentation that Android has, combine that with the relatively few WP handset makers, makes it a little easier for Verizon and the other carriers to test the update on their networks and push out the update.

ibkevin

May 25, 2014
Visit site
OK guys thank you all for your answers. I'm thinking a hard reset is the answer. Especially since I haven't done one since updating to the 8.1 preview. Kind of stinks to have to re-download all my apps, etc. but if it fixes the issue than its worth it. So I just go into settings/reset phone(not from backup), and that's it right? Once finished and it boots up, I install and sign into the developers preview app so I can still get the latest updates and that's it, right?

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

drufranco

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
If I decide to hold off on doing the hard reset until the official release, will the official release effectively correct the issue, or will I have to hard reset for the official release to solve this problem?

Thanks!
I think if you reset now like I did you have a good chance to upgrade without much incident but if you are on the original developers preview release then I would say probably not. Just my opinion though. Without the release of the Cyan update to go with the official release of 8.1 nobody will know for sure what the outcome will be. I am prepared if need be to reset again if I am guaranteed results like I am having now.

OK guys thank you all for your answers. I'm thinking a hard reset is the answer. Especially since I haven't done one since updating to the 8.1 preview. Kind of stinks to have to re-download all my apps, etc. but if it fixes the issue than its worth it. So I just go into settings/reset phone(not from backup), and that's it right? Once finished and it boots up, I install and sign into the developers preview app so I can still get the latest updates and that's it, right?

Yep.
Settings, About, then reset phone.
Give it 24 hours to settle and you should be fine if not sooner after you wipe and reload / configure all apps. Settle as in battery consumption and running warm.

JohnStrk

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I am getting some amazing battery life today compared to most days since upgrading to 8.1 about a month ago. Only thing I changed yesterday was I finally turned Battery Saver OFF. Previously it was only disabled in the background but not off. And I disabled Cortana from running, unpinned the Cortana live tile, and turned Location off.

Coming up on 7 hours off the charger and still at 100%. Mostly idle all day. Very light usage, some notifications, LTE on, screen at medium brightness, etc. :smile:

Also, I have still not done a hard reset in 8.1 or prior to the upgrade.

wp_ss_20140610_0001.jpg

ibkevin

May 25, 2014
Visit site
Thank you man. Originally when I first installed the 8.1 preview, my battery life was better than on 8, but like I said, last night I went to sleep with 100% n 6hrs later woke up to a dead phone. I since charged it but its giving off a bit of heat since doing so. I know I have to reset, which I'm going to try shortly. I wasn't getting any heat before today.I'll let you guys know how things are after I reset. Thanks again to everyone. I'm glad to be on windows phone! I can't wait till we get the official cyan firmware!

BelleGOBLUE

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
***UPDATE

Changes: turned Battery Saver OFF, WiFi OFF (forgot I still have grandfathered unlimited data and don't really need it), and set emails to be received every hour, Turned Cortana ON, and turned location ON and just went an hour with only losing 1% on my battery while it was at idle! Maybe this was a lucky hour, or maybe 8.1 really doesn't like Battery Saver, WiFi, and/or Push Email, but either way, this is a great start to improving overall battery life!

I'll go a few more hours like this, and if it holds, I'll try to add in one feature at a time to find out who the main culprit is and let you know what I find out. Thanks for all the suggestions guys!

JohnStrk

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
***UPDATE

Changes: turned Battery Saver OFF, WiFi OFF (forgot I still have grandfathered unlimited data and don't really need it), and set emails to be received every hour, Turned Cortana ON, and turned location ON and just went an hour with only losing 1% on my battery while it was at idle! Maybe this was a lucky hour, or maybe 8.1 really doesn't like Battery Saver, WiFi, and/or Push Email, but either way, this is a great start to improving overall battery life!

I'll go a few more hours like this, and if it holds, I'll try to add in one feature at a time to find out who the main culprit is and let you know what I find out. Thanks for all the suggestions guys!

Yeah seems to be some issues going on in 8.1 with Battery Saver. Hope it's fixed soon and MS renames it to Battery Sense. And I think my phone wastes more battery on Wi-Fi than on LTE, even with a great Wi-Fi signal. Not sure why. Push e-mail will definitely drain the battery.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
***UPDATE

Turn off your celluar data when you are not using it. This is the case with all windows phones

ibkevin

May 25, 2014
Visit site
Ok so I also decided to adjust some settings before doing a hard reset. My settings are now pretty close to the ones in the post above this, except my wifi is still on. I adjusted my email account settings all to longer intervals, shut off battery saver, turned off background runtime for numerous apps I didn't need running in background, and maybe one or two other things I can't recall atm. So far my battery life seems to be better and my phone hasn't heated up again yet like it was doing earlier. Hoping its better now. Seems that way. If anything arises then I will most certainly hard reset.

Judas20

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
Perform a hard reset and the battery life will be back to normal in a couple of days. Also don't forget to check for updates once again as two updates (to improve battery life) were pushed out since the dev preview has been available

Slayix312

May 31, 2014
Visit site
The battery life on the Icon is pretty bad in general. At least compared to my M8.

On idle it drains at 3.0%+ per hour. My M8 on idle drains at 0.7% an hour. I took the following screenshots which showed the difference. This is with the exact same stuff enabled on both (wifi, cell data, location).

Screenshot_2014-06-07-02-41-12.png

Screenshot_2014-06-07-11-00-49.png

wp_ss_20140607_0001.jpg

wp_ss_20140607_0002.jpg

BelleGOBLUE

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
***UPDATE

After the first hour off the charger this morning, sitting at idle and clearing a few notifications, with the same settings that I've listed above, I'm sitting at 99% battery :) Good start to the day! I'll keep you guys posted as the day goes on.

Thanks

richard_rsp

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like yours is getting pretty close to my battery life. I disabled "Sync my Settings" (all four items) as I don't use IE on my desktop and dont have a need for it. I saw improved battery life with this turned off.

BelleGOBLUE

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
After 4 Hours I was at 96%, so I decided to try moving JUST my exchange email from every 1 hour to push to see what would happen. It turns out push email for exchange doesn't really add much drain to the battery! After an hour with it turned on, it only drained 1% like before! This leads me to believe that the main battery culprits are WiFi, Battery Saver, and gmail set to push (even set to just get gmail every 2 hours, it shows up high on the list in batter drain). Again, I have location turned ON, Cortana ON, Cortana live tile ON, so its not those draining the battery like crazy.

Overall I'm much happier with my battery performance today. Much more respectable so far. I will also turn off the "Sync my Settings" to see if that helps as well, as I have no need for that either. Thanks for all the tips and suggestions guys! As a new WP user, you have made this an easy transition from Android!

Last edited:

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
battery saver on other threads was actually the culprit to major battery drain. The leading theory was it had to power up radios and power them down all the time, instead of just leaving them on and in lower power mode. See if your normal settings with but battery saver OFF keeps you at a similar batter drain.

loki993

May 6, 2014
Visit site
Wow I was totally opposite.....if I went to bed at 55 percent on my Android phone it meant I had charged it 2 hours before that. 5-8 percent screen off drain would have been great...I averaged 10 percent.

I go to bed usually at 60+ percent battery on my icon and thats with no charging during the day and moderate use. 8.1, wifi on, no turning off data or anything like that.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Reading these posts I'm a little nervous to go to 8.1. Currently, I'm maxed out on background tasks, sync 4 or 5 different accounts. Wifi, data, and location services are on 24/7, and I am a medium to heavy user. The phone gets pulled off the charger about 6am and by 6pm I'm running about 20% battery. I'm pretty pleased with this. I hope 8.1 gets all the kinks out.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I've noticed that battery life can be a little inconsistent. For example, last Tuesday, my Icon seemed to have lost its mind. It went from around 80ish% down to under 10% in less than an hour and was over heating. I had used Pandora, Here Drive, and Nokia Carr App simultaneously. When I got to my destination, I shut down all three apps. When I was done with my appointment, about an hour later, my battery was under 10% and it was overheating. It took two soft resets to settle it down.

However, yesterday, we camped on the USS Missouri and I went from 100% down to under 20% in about five hours. During that time I took several photos, a couple of videos, and was posting to Facebook (when I had signal). I didn't get any overheating and no runaway processor usage.

You would think that the heavier usage from yesterday would have slammed my battery worse than what I did a few days previously.

Gerry Brennan

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

I don't have 8.1 on my phone, however after the update that came out in May, my battery drops quite fast, right now with only 1 short phone call and 3 txt messages, I am at a batter percentage of 86%. The phone has been unplugged for about 6 hours. I have been considering the developer preview of 8.1 and would like to know if this issue could be resolved? I know that Verizon claims my warranty will be voided, however I don't care I have Square Trade for my warranty.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs