06-17-2014 03:04 PM
44 12
tools
    ***UPDATE

Changes: turned Battery Saver OFF, WiFi OFF (forgot I still have grandfathered unlimited data and don't really need it), and set emails to be received every hour, Turned Cortana ON, and turned location ON and just went an hour with only losing 1% on my battery while it was at idle! Maybe this was a lucky hour, or maybe 8.1 really doesn't like Battery Saver, WiFi, and/or Push Email, but either way, this is a great start to improving overall battery life!

I'll go a few more hours like this, and if it holds, I'll try to add in one feature at a time to find out who the main culprit is and let you know what I find out. Thanks for all the suggestions guys!
    JohnStrk likes this.
    06-10-2014 02:48 PM
    ***UPDATE

Changes: turned Battery Saver OFF, WiFi OFF (forgot I still have grandfathered unlimited data and don't really need it), and set emails to be received every hour, Turned Cortana ON, and turned location ON and just went an hour with only losing 1% on my battery while it was at idle! Maybe this was a lucky hour, or maybe 8.1 really doesn't like Battery Saver, WiFi, and/or Push Email, but either way, this is a great start to improving overall battery life!

I'll go a few more hours like this, and if it holds, I'll try to add in one feature at a time to find out who the main culprit is and let you know what I find out. Thanks for all the suggestions guys!
    Yeah seems to be some issues going on in 8.1 with Battery Saver. Hope it's fixed soon and MS renames it to Battery Sense. And I think my phone wastes more battery on Wi-Fi than on LTE, even with a great Wi-Fi signal. Not sure why. Push e-mail will definitely drain the battery.
    06-10-2014 03:37 PM
    ***UPDATE

Turn off your celluar data when you are not using it. This is the case with all windows phones
    06-10-2014 04:05 PM
    Ok so I also decided to adjust some settings before doing a hard reset. My settings are now pretty close to the ones in the post above this, except my wifi is still on. I adjusted my email account settings all to longer intervals, shut off battery saver, turned off background runtime for numerous apps I didn't need running in background, and maybe one or two other things I can't recall atm. So far my battery life seems to be better and my phone hasn't heated up again yet like it was doing earlier. Hoping its better now. Seems that way. If anything arises then I will most certainly hard reset.
    06-10-2014 07:03 PM
    Perform a hard reset and the battery life will be back to normal in a couple of days. Also don't forget to check for updates once again as two updates (to improve battery life) were pushed out since the dev preview has been available
    06-11-2014 04:22 AM
    The battery life on the Icon is pretty bad in general. At least compared to my M8.

On idle it drains at 3.0%+ per hour. My M8 on idle drains at 0.7% an hour. I took the following screenshots which showed the difference. This is with the exact same stuff enabled on both (wifi, cell data, location).

screenshot_2014-06-07-02-41-12.png

screenshot_2014-06-07-11-00-49.png

wp_ss_20140607_0001.jpg

wp_ss_20140607_0002.jpg
    06-11-2014 07:56 AM
    ***UPDATE

After the first hour off the charger this morning, sitting at idle and clearing a few notifications, with the same settings that I've listed above, I'm sitting at 99% battery :) Good start to the day! I'll keep you guys posted as the day goes on.

Thanks
    JohnStrk likes this.
    06-11-2014 08:05 AM
    After 2 hours at idle I'm at 98% :)

battery.jpg
    JohnStrk likes this.
    06-11-2014 09:05 AM
    Sounds like yours is getting pretty close to my battery life. I disabled "Sync my Settings" (all four items) as I don't use IE on my desktop and dont have a need for it. I saw improved battery life with this turned off.
    06-11-2014 11:44 AM
    After 4 Hours I was at 96%, so I decided to try moving JUST my exchange email from every 1 hour to push to see what would happen. It turns out push email for exchange doesn't really add much drain to the battery! After an hour with it turned on, it only drained 1% like before! This leads me to believe that the main battery culprits are WiFi, Battery Saver, and gmail set to push (even set to just get gmail every 2 hours, it shows up high on the list in batter drain). Again, I have location turned ON, Cortana ON, Cortana live tile ON, so its not those draining the battery like crazy.

Overall I'm much happier with my battery performance today. Much more respectable so far. I will also turn off the "Sync my Settings" to see if that helps as well, as I have no need for that either. Thanks for all the tips and suggestions guys! As a new WP user, you have made this an easy transition from Android!
    Last edited by BelleGOBLUE; 06-11-2014 at 03:45 PM.
    06-11-2014 12:36 PM
    battery saver on other threads was actually the culprit to major battery drain. The leading theory was it had to power up radios and power them down all the time, instead of just leaving them on and in lower power mode. See if your normal settings with but battery saver OFF keeps you at a similar batter drain.
    06-11-2014 03:40 PM
    Wow I was totally opposite.....if I went to bed at 55 percent on my Android phone it meant I had charged it 2 hours before that. 5-8 percent screen off drain would have been great...I averaged 10 percent.

I go to bed usually at 60+ percent battery on my icon and thats with no charging during the day and moderate use. 8.1, wifi on, no turning off data or anything like that.
    06-12-2014 09:00 AM
    Reading these posts I'm a little nervous to go to 8.1. Currently, I'm maxed out on background tasks, sync 4 or 5 different accounts. Wifi, data, and location services are on 24/7, and I am a medium to heavy user. The phone gets pulled off the charger about 6am and by 6pm I'm running about 20% battery. I'm pretty pleased with this. I hope 8.1 gets all the kinks out.
    06-12-2014 09:19 AM
    I've noticed that battery life can be a little inconsistent. For example, last Tuesday, my Icon seemed to have lost its mind. It went from around 80ish% down to under 10% in less than an hour and was over heating. I had used Pandora, Here Drive, and Nokia Carr App simultaneously. When I got to my destination, I shut down all three apps. When I was done with my appointment, about an hour later, my battery was under 10% and it was overheating. It took two soft resets to settle it down.

However, yesterday, we camped on the USS Missouri and I went from 100% down to under 20% in about five hours. During that time I took several photos, a couple of videos, and was posting to Facebook (when I had signal). I didn't get any overheating and no runaway processor usage.

You would think that the heavier usage from yesterday would have slammed my battery worse than what I did a few days previously.
    06-15-2014 05:33 PM
    Hello,

I don't have 8.1 on my phone, however after the update that came out in May, my battery drops quite fast, right now with only 1 short phone call and 3 txt messages, I am at a batter percentage of 86%. The phone has been unplugged for about 6 hours. I have been considering the developer preview of 8.1 and would like to know if this issue could be resolved? I know that Verizon claims my warranty will be voided, however I don't care I have Square Trade for my warranty.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    06-16-2014 10:44 AM
    I've found that the biggest battery drainer in my Icon is having the Wi-Fi on. I had been getting decent battery life (0.3-0.5%/hr) until I changed the Wi-Fi settings to "Keep Wi-Fi on when screen times out", which can be set in the advance Wi-Fi options. This brought battery consumption up to 3-5%/hr. So, I now keep Wi-Fi off all the time or disable the "Keep Wi-I on when the screen times out" option, and battery life is back to normal. By the way, I'm running WP 8, and have almost all my apps running is background. I should also mention that LTE signal in my area seems to be fairly strong and stable.
    06-16-2014 01:02 PM
    I've found that the biggest battery drainer in my Icon is having the Wi-Fi on. I had been getting decent battery life (0.3-0.5%/hr) until I changed the Wi-Fi settings to "Keep Wi-Fi on when screen times out", which can be set in the advance Wi-Fi options. This brought battery consumption up to 3-5%/hr. So, I now keep Wi-Fi off all the time or disable the "Keep Wi-I on when the screen times out" option, and battery life is back to normal. By the way, I'm running WP 8, and have almost all my apps running is background. I should also mention that LTE signal in my area seems to be fairly strong and stable.
    Thank you, I just found the "Keep Wi-I on when the screen times out" and unchecked it, I am going to give that a try. I did take a suggestion from earlier in this thread, I uninstalled the NFL app, VZ Navigator, CNN, and Weather Channel. I did notice my battery is not draining as fast, but it was still going down, even without usage. Thank you for the information.
    06-16-2014 03:00 PM
    I have walked through all the steps, which included the following:
    -Keep Wi-I on when the screen times out - Turned off
    -Opened every single app (suggested earlier in post) and logged in or completed steps.
    -Uninstalled unneeded or unwanted apps (NFL, VZ Navigator, CNN, Weather Channel, etc)
    -Turned off Battery Saver and verified it was not running in the background.
    -Blocked (turned off) background tasks not needed.
    -Turned off XBox games and Music
    -Soft reset

With all this, I am still losing 2-3% of battery per hour. Am I doing something incorrectly or is this an issue I have to live with. As a side not I am running ver 8.0 with the latest update. Should I be considering WP 8.1?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
    06-17-2014 09:24 AM
    Is that 2-3% consumption on idle? Battery consumption varies depending on use patterns. I would test the battery behavior by leaving the phone alone overnight, and see how it behaves while idle. Check the battery in the morning and it should be around 0.3-0.5%/hr. If draining is happening any faster than this, then try putting the phone on airplane mode overnight, and check battery again. If you find any improvement by doing this, then the issue could be related of LTE signal strength in your area.
    Anyway, 2-3%/hr is normal if you're using the phone now and then to check email, play music, etc.
    06-17-2014 03:04 PM
44 12