Icon has to be the worst phone that I've owned

Status
Not open for further replies.

JetFixxxer

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
I have full LTE bars. I check my email and I get "No Network Connection". Use IE and can't open any websites also get "We're Having trouble displaying this page". Reboot works fine and now I'm on my home Wi-Fi and it shows almost full strength. Went to check my mail and received " No Network connection" and can't pull up any pages. Disabled WiFi and again full LTE and still cant' connect.

I've never 'returned' a phone before. What's the warranty that Nokia has on the phone?

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
1.) What OS are you using? WP8.1 DP or WP8?
2.) Do you have the setting "Use data when WiFi is weak" enabled?
3.) Have some patience and learn how to use a phone before whining about it like a child.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Welp, sorry to hear about that.

If its any consolation, that's definitely not normal functionality and doesn't reflect the model as a whole. (thankfully)
As with most issues, a soft reset is prescribed first, hold the power and volume down buttons until the phone vibrates.

If that does not help, try a hard reset, which will erase everything,(that will be the reset option under "about"

If none of those help, then the issue is hardware, and you will have to contact Nokia, this should be a clear cut warranty replacement/repair.

oop, it could be what meathead said above too.

meddyrainzo

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
I have full LTE bars. I check my email and I get "No Network Connection". Use IE and can't open any websites also get "We're Having trouble displaying this page". Reboot works fine and now I'm on my home Wi-Fi and it shows almost full strength. Went to check my mail and received " No Network connection" and can't pull up any pages. Disabled WiFi and again full LTE and still cant' connect.

I've never 'returned' a phone before. What's the warranty that Nokia has on the phone?

Sorry about that. My advice, a soft reset (power+ volume down till the phone vibrates).
Optional: if you're not using wp8.1, I would advice you try it out. It's a better WP experience IMO(that's after you solve your problem) .

Gen Pop 1

May 9, 2014
Visit site
I would turn off the phone, pull out the sim, blow out the area, put the sim back in, and turn on the phone and give it a try

tacroy

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Are you using the 8.1 preview? I've had a similar issue where wifi would die randomly, still show as active but I would lose all connection.
I would then need to disconnect, then re-connect to get data working again.
My understanding is that it is an issue with the firmware and 8.1 being in beta. I assume that once the new firmware is out or 8.1 is final the issue will go away and I just consider it the cost of using beta software.

drufranco

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
I would turn off the phone, pull out the sim, blow out the area, put the sim back in, and turn on the phone and give it a try
Yep this happened recently on my daughters Icon. She took it in to Verizon, they popped out the sim card, blew on it / cleaned it, put it back in, good to go. Had she notified me first I would have saved her some time and told her to try that or I could have done it for her.

The key is take a deep breath, relax, there is a fix. Zen.

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
This def sounds like a sim card issue, but the fact that its giving wifi issues as well, means it could be something else. Try the sim fix stated above, if that doesn't work, it sounds like you just got the thing - bring it back to the store, and get a new one. Ive been ecstatically happy with my Icon, and Verizon, by far the best phone ive ever used. I do not think your situation is the norm.

Jan Tomsic

May 8, 2013
Visit site

There may be something wrong with APN settings. Go under settings -> Access point. Edit it and remove proxy (write it down just in case) and remove authentication (set to none instead of PAP or CHAP). Restart phone, try again.
If you can't edit the APN, create a new one with the same settings, password should be publicly available, as APN settings aren't exactly a secret.

It can have full signal but if the settings are wrong signal won't help. It's really not a phone issue, but provider.

Edit: Oh, wifi isn't working either. Your post was kinda hard to read.
Try soft reset or just call verizon and let them deal with it.

fredd

Feb 15, 2008
Visit site
i have full lte bars. I check my email and i get "no network connection". Use ie and can't open any websites also get "we're having trouble displaying this page". Reboot works fine and now i'm on my home wi-fi and it shows almost full strength. Went to check my mail and received " no network connection" and can't pull up any pages. Disabled wifi and again full lte and still cant' connect.

I've never 'returned' a phone before. What's the warranty that nokia has on the phone?
the icon is the best phone ive ever owned

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I trust that data is enabled on this phone. Sometimes it's the little things that get overlooked while hunting for more exotic issues.

JetFixxxer

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
I have no sim card for my Icon. The WiFi issue was on 8.0 that's the reason I tried 8.1 , and gotten progressively worse on 8.1 update 1. I'm will try the soft reset and the latest update.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I have no sim card for my Icon. The WiFi issue was on 8.0 that's the reason I tried 8.1 , and gotten progressively worse on 8.1 update 1. I'm will try the soft reset and the latest update.

How can you have, "full LTE bars" without a SIM card? You should have a "SIM error" icon instead of LTE. So with no SIM card and not connected to Wi-Fi, you will get a "no network connection" error.

Yes, people have complained about Wi-Fi quality with the Icon, but not everybody is having that problem. That problem will probably be fixed when the official WP8.1 is released with updated drivers.

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
How can you not have a sim card?

And if you have 8.1 installed, and you haven't done a HARD RESET after you installed it, that should be done asap. As far as restoring from the backup after reset, if I was you, I would not and just re-install my apps.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
How can you not have a sim card?

And if you have 8.1 installed, and you haven't done a HARD RESET after you installed it, that should be done asap. As far as restoring from the backup after reset, if I was you, I would not and just re-install my apps.

Maybe he just doesn't use wireless service? I used several phones sans-SIM before I got my Lumia.

altair679

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
I think the problem is YOU.
How come there's full LTE bars if you don't have a sim card?
Are you imagining things?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos