Verizon Story

abausch

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
I'm a new Windows Phone user, coming over from an OG Droid and Galaxy Nexus. I loved my Android phones, but I wasn't thrilled with the S5 or M8, and I really wanted a great camera. After deciding I could live outside of my Google ecosystem, I decided to take the plunge. I went to the Verizon store several times to try out many different phones, and chose the Icon. When I told the saleswoman that I wanted to upgrade to a Nokia Icon, she said, "What? Where is that phone?" It was actually in the middle of the store, prominently displayed (amazingly). After I pointed it out, she says "Are you sure you don't want an iPhone?" Yes, I'm sure. Then she asks why I chose this phone, and I mentioned the camera. She says, "OH well, then you should get the Droid Maxx!" No, I don't want an old Maxx, I want the Icon. "The Maxx isn't old!" Yes, compared to the Icon it is...please just get me the phone I want. "I don't know if we have that in stock". Well, the Verizon website says you have the white model in stock. That's why I came to this particular store. "Oh, well the website isn't always accurate. Let me check." 15 minutes later, she comes out with it and says, "Wow that was hard to find. It was really buried back there!" In the end, I got the phone I wanted, and after setting up my phone, she admitted that she used to have a Windows phone, and she kind of missed it! It was the lack of apps that made her switch back to an iPhone.

No harm, no foul on the saleswoman. She was very nice, but why was she trying to talk me out of buying this phone? She told me she doesn't make commission on upgrades, so why does she care which phone I buy? I just thought it was funny.

The only thing I'm really missing so far is Google Music. But since I lost my unlimited data plan, I probably shouldn't use that anyway. LOVE the camera, and that's why I bought it in the first place.

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
It seems a lot of WP users have these stories to tell. I had the opposite experience. There's only one Verizon corp store in my town
and the rep that helped me with my purchase , my first WP, had his own icon. He said it was a Verizon perk as an employee and fit him perfectly because he loved WP already. Very helpful guy telling me all about the features, taking plenty of time even tho the store was crowded. In closing our deal he assured me I could come back anytime if I had any questions about it and if he wasn't there anyone else could help because they all were rocking company icons. As we were wrapping up he further said, "just in case I decide against keeping it be sure and return it before 14 days were up for the refund." This guy and this store gets five star rating in my book. Awesome customer service.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the Windows Phone side of things! I saw the Icon at a Verizon store back in April and thought the white one was gorgeous. Glad you still managed to get it after the rep was giving you a hard time. You should definitely check out Nokia MixRadio for your music streaming. It's awesome! I only started using really it after getting my 925 in February and I haven't used a single other music app since.

Kasey Pierce

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
You should have saved yourself the hassle and gotten it from Amazon. Retail stores are never a good place to buy cell phones, only really good to get a feel for the phone. Even Verizon's website tends to have better prices. Point being the Icon is $199 at Verizon and $99 on Amazon. (was $99 Verizon for Fathers day sale, now back to original price) If you got it for $99 that's awesome, if not i would see if you could try and save yourself one hundred dollars! I am torn because my current phone (Droid DNA) is on the fritz. I have two upgrades but it is REALLY hard to think about giving up unlimited data, what made you finally decide to ditch it? Also i don't know about you but the Icon felt really small compared to my DNA which is funny because they have the same size screen, i liked it better. Same 5 inch screen but much easier to use with one hand. Anyway, congrats on the phone! take pictures! and show us how you set up your home screen!

abausch

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, I could have saved $100 buying it on Amazon, but I really wanted to use the camera at a wedding this weekend. I'm so glad I did, because the pictures turned out great! I was really impressed with how much I could crop and zoom in on the photos and not lose any quality. Now I just need to find a good grocery list app...

abausch

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
Regarding giving up the Verizon unlimited plan...I'm on wifi most of the time (home & work) so I was using less than 1GB a month anyway. I held on to my GNex for three years to keep that plan, but in the end, I wasn't going to pay $600 off contract just to keep it.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I could have saved $100 buying it on Amazon, but I really wanted to use the camera at a wedding this weekend. I'm so glad I did, because the pictures turned out great! I was really impressed with how much I could crop and zoom in on the photos and not lose any quality. Now I just need to find a good grocery list app...

I highly recommend the Lists & Things Free app. I use it almost exclusively for shopping lists and it's great! Okay, I'm unable to link it up here because unfortunately, the forum is marking it as spam. But if you search for it in the Windows Phone Store, you'll find it. :smile:

Ltauhmise

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
Regarding giving up the Verizon unlimited plan...I'm on wifi most of the time (home & work) so I was using less than 1GB a month anyway. I held on to my GNex for three years to keep that plan, but in the end, I wasn't going to pay $600 off contract just to keep it.

With XLTE and faster data speeds you're going to regret giving up the unlimited data as time goes on.

Also, if you're a thrifty shopper you can pick up phones off ebay for a decent price. Case in-point, I was able to buy my manufacturer refurbished Lumia Icon for $321.99. Granted, I had to bid, but there are relatively affordable ways to pick up a flagship phone.

If I was you, I'd return the Icon and see if I can get my unlimited data back. Verizon never throttles 4G service, and never having overages well makes it worth the price. Not to mention the fact that Verizon has a solid, consistent, and reliable 4g network.

If you feel you can live off the 2GB plan, or less. More power to you. But better to have it and not need to use it, then not have it and find yourself in need of that extra data! ::nod-nod::

BB_Jay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I'm glad my purchase process was better than yours. When I first when to my local Verizon store, I ran into an old colleague that actually worked there. I told her I was really interested in the Icon and she proceeded yo tell me how she had one and was the worst phone she ever owned. I listened intently until realizing that many if get gripes were simply petty (she also bashed the BlackBerry Z10 I owned at the time). She never really tried yo force anything else on me, but simply trashed WP.

Needless to say, her opinion didn't sway my choice. I went back a couple of weeks later and another salesman helped me....didn't object to my purchasing decision and was very helpful in getting me set up. So I seems it varies rep yo rep...some just have an overbearing opinion of what you *should* buy...

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I have two upgrades but it is REALLY hard to think about giving up unlimited data

There are a couple threads on AndroidCentral about upgrading a Verizon plan and keeping unlimited data. One method involves ordering the phone online, and then when you get it, put your current SIM card in it BEFORE powering it up. It will automatically activate, and your plan will remain as it is, except your contact well be extended for 2 years.

Scorpio5x0

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
There are a couple threads on AndroidCentral about upgrading a Verizon plan and keeping unlimited data. One method involves ordering the phone online, and then when you get it, put your current SIM card in it BEFORE powering it up. It will automatically activate, and your plan will remain as it is, except your contact well be extended for 2 years.

If you do it that way, you will lose your unlimited data. If the contract date changes on the line that has unlimited you lose it. Now if you have more than one line on your account and you upgrade another line, but activate the phone on the line with unlimited data than you will not lose it.

Scorpio5x0

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Not if you follow the directions. Read this thread.

I understand the method, as I have upgraded three different times and have kept my unlimited data each time. The problem with your statement is your last sentence regarding your contract will extend for 2 more years. This is the important part, if your contract date on the line with unlimited changes than you will lose the unlimited data. You must use an upgrade from a different line on your account that does not have unlimited data. This will change the contract date for the second line but not your unlimited data line. You can not use the upgrade available on your unlimited data line for any reason, otherwise you change your terms and conditions.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I understand the method, as I have upgraded three different times and have kept my unlimited data each time. The problem with your statement is your last sentence regarding your contract will extend for 2 more years. This is the important part, if your contract date on the line with unlimited changes than you will lose the unlimited data. You must use an upgrade from a different line on your account that does not have unlimited data. This will change the contract date for the second line but not your unlimited data line. You can not use the upgrade available on your unlimited data line for any reason, otherwise you change your terms and conditions.

So your contract is still month to month? They report their contract extending for 2 years but yet keeping UDP. Most of the valid data is in the last few pages of the thread. Look at post #572 for example. The first while they were trying to figure out the system!

abausch

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the tip on the Lists & Things App. It's great!! I'm also using MyShopi for a grocery list, which I used to use on Android. At least I'm familiar with it. I'm also using Nokia MixRadio to play music. I'm happy for all the tips you guys can give me!

Scorpio5x0

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
So your contract is still month to month? They report their contract extending for 2 years but yet keeping UDP. Most of the valid data is in the last few pages of the thread. Look at post #572 for example. The first while they were trying to figure out the system!

I will take a closer look, not sure if I read #572. I saw the first couple, that got around it by a technicality or glitch in the ordering system. The system still reflected to keep current data plan, which they selected. None of the times that I have upgraded was the keep existing data plan option available, it went to selecting a tiered plan each time. And since each time, I was able to keep my unlimited by using my family's upgrades and not my line upgrade, I was happy enough with that. When I was informed by the rep, who gave me the steps to keeping unlimited, that was the one thing they stressed, the contract date can not change on the unlimited line. That is what kicks in forcing you onto tiered data.

Jimmie Lee

May 5, 2014
Visit site
When I first got a smartphone, I purchased a Windows Phone. Mainly, because, at the time, they had Zune software on them. Love that software. I was at Verizon before my smartphone purchase. Since Verizon didn't carry any Windows phones, I moved over to AT&T. Of course, I fell in love with Windows phones and have only used their phones ever since. When the Icon came out, I wanted one, but didn't want to wait for my contract to be up. So, ironically, when I found out that AT&T didn't have the Icon, I moved back to Verizon. LOL. My purchase went smoothly. I just asked for the phone I wanted and they gave it to me. I even got unlimited talk & text with 2GB without knowing it until I looke at the Verizon app on my phone. I have never had unlimited and did not intend to get it intentionally. I did mention to the sales guy that I used to be with Verizon and was coming back for this phone and that I wanted the closest plan they had to the one I previously had with AT&T. I certainly didn't expect unlimited talk & text. Maybe you too could get unlimited. What you would consider a good deal, I may not and vice versa.

abausch

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
SinisterDuck is correct. When I upgraded my phone, I lost my unlimited data, but gained unlimited talk and text. Not exactly a great trade off :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb