Buy Icon now, or wait until 8.1 out of the box?

TerryB9999

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
I am a long time Verizon customer, had the same number since 1991. I signed with US West Cellular and have stuck with who ever bought my present provider. Having said that, it looks like the Icon will be my next phone. I have a Note 3, my 5th Android that my wife will get since I am using her upgrade.

I have been playing with a Nokia 521 with no contract Tmobile service. It worked well in Hong Kong, Canada, Mexico, taking advantage of their unlimited international data. I upgraded it to 8.1, and like it a lot. Some of the Nokia stuff quit working, but all in all, I am ready to make the switch.

Think I should wait until Verizon releases 8.1 and get the Icon with 8.1 installed?
How is the "Developer" upgrade going on the Icon?

My main goal is smooth synchronization between my 8.1 touch laptop, my surface pro 2, and my soon to have Icon.

Thanks!

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I believe there have been some issues with the Icon on Dev Preview 8.1. So possibly waiting for official release of 8.1 might be worthwhile.

The ONLY question w/b when - carriers are notorious for rigorous (read: long, drawn out) testing of WinPhone upgrades. If you can wait 6- 8 weeks, then YES, but I would NOT expect an 8.1 Icon before that. Verizon may accelerate the process, to sell more flagship phones - but, the inside would probably be a month !

The other side is, get an Icon during the next Verizon sale, use it under 8.0, when the upgrade is available, it will be seamless. You'll get a notification that an update is available, you'll d/l it, system will backup, system will install it, system will restore your apps & in about a half hour you're upgraded. There's really NOTHING you need to do (except be on WiFi).

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
The other side is, get an Icon during the next Verizon sale, use it under 8.0, when the upgrade is available, it will be seamless. You'll get a notification that an update is available, you'll d/l it, system will backup, system will install it, system will restore your apps & in about a half hour you're upgraded. There's really NOTHING you need to do (except be on WiFi).

This is your best step, imo.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
In a nut shell, You can buy a ICON with 8.0 GDR3 on it now and upgrade it to the final of 8.1 when released,

Or you can let Nokia do it and you can buy it later... Cause that is pretty much what is going to happen here...

There will be NO hardware changes for 8.1 on the ICON, so there will be NO difference from buying one tomorrow or waiting till 8.1 hits...

If you want it like a new phone, when you install the 8.1 final, do a hard reset... then it will be like a new phone.

TerryB9999

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
After using 8.1 on my little 521, I know I would not be happy with 8.0, so upgrading right away would be what I would do.

My concern if the current 8.1 was buggy enough to wait until official release.

Mr. Brown

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I've upgraded my icon and it works pretty good, but it does have some bugs. Occasionally it starts to run hot from a process getting stuck and it strains the battery and I have to reset it to get it working correctly. Also sometimes it gets stuck in a loading screen when trying to go back to the home screen or after powering it on which is usually tired to the first issue.

Scorpio5x0

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I have had my Icon running the Windows Phone Developer Preview since day one. Have had no issues. Like someone said above, I don't think I could go back to 8.0 and lose the changes that came out. If you wait for Verizon to come out with the update, you may be waiting awhile. My suggestion, if that is the phone you want, go get it and immediately update with the Developer Preview. Worth it.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I have had my Icon running the Windows Phone Developer Preview since day one. Have had no issues. Like someone said above, I don't think I could go back to 8.0 and lose the changes that came out. If you wait for Verizon to come out with the update, you may be waiting awhile. My suggestion, if that is the phone you want, go get it and immediately update with the Developer Preview. Worth it.

Yea, agreed, after using 8.1 for a while, No question I could not go back to 8.0... Just Cortana or the notification center...never mind the tons of other little features it has....

TerryB9999

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
Thank you to everyone that has replied.
After all the reading I have been doing, I am a bit reluctant to make the Icon with 8.1 DP my main phone. I work remote, so I probably rely on my phone for work more than most people.
In the interim, I just found a 925 to replace my 521 on my Tmobile line. This will get me a bigger screen, typing on this 521 is hard for my fat fingers, lol. Also more power, and more of top end phone.
Still have not got all the syncing between my 3 windows 8.1 devices to work smoothly, but I am getting closer.

Hopefully I will have all the kinks worked out by the time Verizon releases the Icon with 8.1.

Thank again!

Terry

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro